Rogue Tradering in Askellon

By Marwynn, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

For those of you who've started new games in DH2E, are there a lot of options for a rogue trader dynasty in the sector? At least what's been detailed in the core book.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth purchasing just for the lore.

Do Chaos ships operate openly? Are there vast hordes of xenos fleets? Any people we can exploit?

As far as I can tell its an Imperial sector so no marauding fleets and armies of enemies that are not already tied down by the Imperial Fleet and Guard.

Well, I would not say that it is that clear. As I recall a big section of the sector is covered by the Pandeamonium Warp Storm...if a rogue trader sees some profit from lost or cut off planets and is daring enough...who knows what lies behind these unsafe waters ;)

So it really is rather sketchy and shady. No reason to really leave the Koronus Expanse at this point then.

I'm planning to use Askellon for an RT game.

Well, I think the most relevant question is whether its worth buying purely for the lore. And that's subjective, as its just a single chapter in the book.

That said Askellon itself is actually a very good setting for an RT campaign, in my opinion.

-Massive Cold Trade (called the Faceless Trade in Askellon). Apparently several planets housed a truly ancient (pre-human) civilization, and their artifacts are very profitable. If an RT is involved in this, or has rivals heavily invested in the trade, there's definitely reason to go to Askellon. Apparently the market for the items locally are significant as well. Additionally, the first major storylines of the sector also revolve around the Faceless trade/the ancient empire, so the story potential here will only grow with time.

-Corrupt, nearly fallen sector. The freedom of operation enjoyed by an RT in Askellon is likely greater than anywhere else, short of Koronus, with the advantage of far greater local infrastructure. With such a lack of Imperial oversight, an RT warrant would actually be one of the greatest imperial authorities in the sector. Additionally, even the imperial sector officials have a fairly hands off approach to rulership. Even on the major worlds, corruption and bribery are everywhere. Perfect for an RT without scruples to take advantage of.

-Second rate Imperial Fleet. For corsairs, or those that hunt them, this is ideal. With the imperial sector fleet understaffed and underequipped, a smart Trader Militant has some excellent opportunities. Without massive fleet or enemy presences, most void encounters are likely to be fairly limited affairs, a situation where the average RT crew can really shine. It might be hard to justify investing in the sector with cruisers or battle cruisers, but there is definitely all the work you could ever want for frigates and pirate hunters.

-Doing the Emperor's Work. RTs affiliated with any of the major imperial factions could find themselves plenty of work in Askellon. The potential for an Inquisitorial/RT crossover campaign is also very excellent. An RT ship as a base of operations would likely be ideal for a coterie of inquisition agents. Any one of the other major branches would likely jump at the opportunity to sponsor a variety of RT activities within the sector, from exploration, tithe collection to missionary work. Pretty much only limited by what your GM can come up with.

-Exploration. Rather than discovering new worlds, would likely be spent trying to find new paths to worlds isolated by the sector's local warpstorm, the Pandaemonium. Likely could be evolved into a nemesis by itself as the RTs try to track its progress, or ascertain its source.

Overall, Askellon is a region on the brink. Traditionally, RTs always do well in such places and I think Askellon is no exception. You could justifiably rename it the Askellon Reach and you wouldn't be far wrong. The Imperial presence in the sector is higher than in a frontier area such as Koronus, but they are very much occupied with local concerns. I think its a sector with a huge amount of potential for an RT campaign, possibly even more so than a DH campaign.

Edited by Bladehate

Evacuating people from worlds threathened/consumed by the Pandaemonium warp storm, should make for some intresting adventures...

Evacuating people from worlds threathened/consumed by the Pandaemonium warp storm, should make for some intresting adventures...

And likewise looting secret records or tech from worlds crumbling as a result of evacuations and the degradation of law and order ;-)

So instead of ferrying pious pilgrims I'm exploiting refugees to cover up my xeno artifacts. Any Imperial patrols can be bribed (more easily) or overawed by my ship's firepower. Plus all the inherent fun of a sector-wide warp storm.

I'll wait until the next book drops to see if it adds more setting for me to play with. It does sound kinda fun, especially since our Rogue Trader's dynasty is about to get its comeuppance.

Alternatively, if you are insane enough, you might want to look for entry points into the pandemonium. If it harboufs half as much profit opportunities as Vortex - an insane shall truly prosper.

If you were a pirate of the ragged helix, engaged in Q'Sal soul trade and turned Kasserkratch into dynasty flagship you know what I mean.