The weapon ranges have me worried in this game...

By Stormtrooper721, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Watching the GenCon demos it seems that weapon ranges are extremely restricted in this game. The Overlord had to move the E-Web closer to the heroes even though it didn't seem that far from them.

Can anyone from GenCon confirm that the weapon ranges are or are not severely restricted?

I dislike games (like WizKids' MechWarrior) where an enemy that you can easily walk up too is still too far away to shoot - the "there he is in front of me, why can't I shoot him" syndrome.

Weapon ranges in this are like descent, you have to roll a blue dice to get the shots range, some weapons and abilities can increase range. I am guessing he did so to get an easier roll.

Weapon ranges in this are like descent, you have to roll a blue dice to get the shots range, some weapons and abilities can increase range. I am guessing he did so to get an easier roll.

Since I'm not familiar with Descent, could you please explain this. How many squares away can you fire, for example? Can you shoot right across the board?

The range is determined by die roll. He moved him likely to have a better chance of having a target in range.

I play Descent 2.0 with my kids. After a few missions and a couple of item upgrades, my son's Archer is regularly and reliably shooting targets approx 8 squares away. At least in Descent, there are some items that give a Range +2 bonus, and some weapons that have "Range +1" or "Range +2" as one of their surge uses. Some dice have just a few range numbers on them, but other dice have lots of range...different classes or playstyles work differently. The guy who shoots from 4-6 squares away will tend to do more damage, but the guy shooting for less damage is often able to hit things at range 8-10.

But in IA it's going to be called "Accuracy," not "Range." Important distinction! I guess...er, nevermind. :)

Also to note,Range in IA is called Accuracy, you roll a 1d6 blue dice, that die has numbers that tell you the accuracy IE how many sqaures away you can hit, Note that there is an X on that blue dice, even with a melee weapon if you roll a X on the blue dice you automatically miss the shot or attempt to hit your target.

The tiles are small usually 2-4 sqaures wide and usually if anything is above 8 sqaures there is a door barring it off or a wall with a smaller entrance, so usually you wont have difficulty hitting a target a few sqaures away and usually targets arent going to be super far from you. And if they are far away they generally wont stay that way for long. But there is always the chance you roll a critical miss with an X.

lol duh i didnt read the last line of thereisnotry's post :P

Is there still the X on the blue die? In Descent 2.0 it's that way, but I thought I remembered them saying that there was no X in IA.

Either way, we've never really found Range (Accuracy) to be a problem when we've played Descent; we have one Archer and one Wizard, and it's very rare that either of them comes up short on their Range dice for the target they want.

Hmm rewatching the demo, the blue dice might not be range anymore, it might be the yellow dice that is range. Not really sure, but the demo dm did say there is a way to fail. It kinda looks like they spread range into all the dice but defense dice. So maybe the Defense dice have a higher probability to block nullifying the need for the critical fail system they had in descent.

Edited by yagyu

There are two defense dice. One is more like armor and the other more like dodge. The dodge one has an X on it so if you roll that on defense, you dodge the attack completely. So there is an instant-success on defense, but there is no instant-failure for the attacker's dice.

Ah interesting, so they just reversed it. Cool.

Yeah, the one dice has a result for completely evading the attack altogether. It seems, from what I've pieced together so far, that there are basically 2 types of defense: armored (focused on damage mitigation) and non-armored (focused more on evasion and surge removal).