REPAINTS, CONVERSIONS & SCRATCH BUILD THREAD

By Gadge, in X-Wing

Luke Skywalker's X-Wing SKWqhW3.jpg?1 kiT2HRK.jpg?1

Wedge's X-Wing vL8dcBQ.jpg?1 0BIcb0C.jpg?1

Porkins's X-Wing 2AC9AIA.jpg?1 pKtgQ4g.jpg?1

Awesome work man! what do you use as reference for the X-wing markings, just the movies?

672105_sm-.jpg

672106_sm-.jpg

Little bit more work to do, but I want to use it tomorrow so I'll throw some varnish on it tonight and do a little more over the week ^_^

Edited by Vent

672105_sm-.jpg

672106_sm-.jpg

Little bit more work to do, but I want to use it tomorrow so I'll throw some varnish on it tonight and do a little more over the week ^_^

I like where this is headed.

Luke Skywalker's X-Wing SKWqhW3.jpg?1 kiT2HRK.jpg?1

Wedge's X-Wing vL8dcBQ.jpg?1 0BIcb0C.jpg?1

Porkins's X-Wing 2AC9AIA.jpg?1 pKtgQ4g.jpg?1

Awesome work man! what do you use as reference for the X-wing markings, just the movies?

Sort of. High definition screen captures gotten by other people were used. I also used what was presented in others doing up these fighters in X-wing as well as other toys and models. Another really helpful bit was finding pictures of the actual models they used during A New Hope. (Like here is Luke and Wedge: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=5942 http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2199 )

Edited by Unremarkable Cardboard Box

10858560_10154983554830249_1551540744490

I love the contrast here... the sharp accent around the cockpit and turret is very pleasing to the eye, well done.

Hey thanks, I am definitely happy with it, the question is; what do I do to my millennium falcon? haha. Guess I will just have to see once I get started on it. Plus I still have Imperials to paint up!

672105_sm-.jpg

672106_sm-.jpg

SO SICK!!!

hey guys, been working on a few things to get me painting again after a sizeable break and also thought every one could use an "awww cute" moment so let me introduce you to Jedi Padawan Kaitlyn. She is 3 (on halloween) and LOVES to watch "space" with daddy. on to the minis

8DE0425C-EB24-4A17-BA02-430D97719C5D_zps

here are a few shots of a lambda in progress. i have a lot more blending to do with the reds, so take it for what its worth.

A1308205-C8CA-47C9-A45B-AD8305A7FE2A_zps

i also have to tone down and get some mroe definition on the engines.....too much osl and way to consistent for lighting... and on that note, this thing is much darker and richer red than the pics came out. i think the flash or the auto compensation was turned up to high on my iphone or something, because these shots make it look pink, and its more darker than that. jsut a shade or two brigher than the imperial aces royal guard tie, its so dark.

90434760-1FCC-489B-8D7D-A579B3897AB8_zps

i wanted landing lights on it. im weird that way, but if i was a ground crew in the empire, i figure my life is already pretty much forfiet, so i would want SOMEONE to be nice to me and at least SIGNAL when they will land on me.

5F8D2F9E-8047-4E4A-A867-09C7A0508A39_zps

and on to the VT-49.

9C68E49D-DED0-4B80-AEF4-8BBCD57A6520_zps

5211FF5E-816F-4DBB-9485-4D88D8DDF361_zps

I added some streaking beyond what was done in the factory. i plan to do a lot of weathering to it with blast marks and scrapes (after all, its oicunns ship) but really need to figure out what else i want to do to the engines and what i want the canopy to look like...(thinking super dark red glass like effect). after i get those figured out, i need to go back and actually paint the hull....all that grey....uhhh....

was thinking of doing running lights one some of the places on the model, might be nice to get a splash of blue and green on the model, but what do you guys think? i have added a little color to it with a different few shades of grey, but still...thats a big chunk of grey.

also, please dont judge to harshly, i have not painted anything like a ship in years. most of the stuff i paint are 'jacks and troops, so this was a huge change up. still, nice to get back on the table and have some fun.

Edited by sc077y

I really like the stripe, subtle, yet sets it apart.

Luke Skywalker's X-Wing

Wedge's X-Wing

Porkins's X-Wing

Sort of. High definition screen captures gotten by other people were used. I also used what was presented in others doing up these fighters in X-wing as well as other toys and models. Another really helpful bit was finding pictures of the actual models they used during A New Hope. (Like here is Luke and Wedge: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=5942 http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2199 )

that's a great find! thanks for the links :)

also, please dont judge to harshly, i have not painted anything like a ship in years. most of the stuff i paint are 'jacks and troops, so this was a huge change up. still, nice to get back on the table and have some fun.

Are you kidding! that's some solid paint job and the small details are superb, thanks for sharing

Also, cute padawan, very cool that she enjoys SW along with you

hey guys, been working on a few things to get me painting again after a sizeable break and also thought every one could use an "awww cute" moment so let me introduce you to Jedi Padawan Kaitlyn. She is 3 (on halloween) and LOVES to watch "space" with daddy. on to the minis

8DE0425C-EB24-4A17-BA02-430D97719C5D_zps

here are a few shots of a lambda in progress. i have a lot more blending to do with the reds, so take it for what its worth.

A1308205-C8CA-47C9-A45B-AD8305A7FE2A_zps

i also have to tone down and get some mroe definition on the engines.....too much osl and way to consistent for lighting... and on that note, this thing is much darker and richer red than the pics came out. i think the flash or the auto compensation was turned up to high on my iphone or something, because these shots make it look pink, and its more darker than that. jsut a shade or two brigher than the imperial aces royal guard tie, its so dark.

90434760-1FCC-489B-8D7D-A579B3897AB8_zps

i wanted landing lights on it. im weird that way, but if i was a ground crew in the empire, i figure my life is already pretty much forfiet, so i would want SOMEONE to be nice to me and at least SIGNAL when they will land on me.

5F8D2F9E-8047-4E4A-A867-09C7A0508A39_zps

and on to the VT-49.

5211FF5E-816F-4DBB-9485-4D88D8DDF361_zps

I added some streaking beyond what was done in the factory. i plan to do a lot of weathering to it with blast marks and scrapes (after all, its oicunns ship) but really need to figure out what else i want to do to the engines and what i want the canopy to look like...(thinking super dark red glass like effect). after i get those figured out, i need to go back and actually paint the hull....all that grey....uhhh....

was thinking of doing running lights one some of the places on the model, might be nice to get a splash of blue and green on the model, but what do you guys think? i have added a little color to it with a different few shades of grey, but still...thats a big chunk of grey.

Excellent work, on all counts :)

Lovin the deci's stripe.

Might pinch that idea :)

Put some uglies together, figured they would fit nicely with my upcoming asteroid base :)

Uglies_zps7cca3d31.jpg

Conandoodle, Max Rebo? I think you must be mistaken, probably just a bad angle....this any better? :P

max_zpsb79245a1.jpg

My first "Public" completed repaint:

10425854_4820518488517_37463284660387012

I'm more than just a little apprehensive atm.

I've just undercoated a Firespray. I'm going to attempt to do a Kath Scarlet repaint. As i've aged, my eyesight has started to worsen, and oldperson-shakes are starting to set in. I'm seriously afraid that I'm going to mess this up. I guess only time will tell. I'll be sure to post pics of it here when it's done. If for no other reason than to give people a guide on how not to repaint a Firespray.

Time to start blocking in the red sections...

[uPDATE]

Blocking in the Red sections and painting metal areas done. (Just the 1 pic though)

DSC_0200_zps0ec0f05d.jpg

[FURTHER UPDATE]

Apart from putting some Dulcote on the mini and then glossing the canopy, she's finished. Apologies for the photos, but I only have my mobile phone nearby. Also, apologies for the paint job.

KathScarlet01_zpsc63867e3.jpg

KathScarlet03_zps7abacab1.jpg

KathScarlet02_zps16f67f2f.jpg

KathScarlet04_zpse7b39617.jpg

Cheers

Edited by DarkFather

Asteroid base done, this is the 'Imperial/Rebel' version, just working on a more colourful pirate version for my uglies to nest in

AteroidbaseImpReb1_zpsa06ecd3b.jpg

AteroidbaseImpReb7_zps2b6b0800.jpg

AteroidbaseImpReb8_zpsb2c2fbaa.jpg

A few variations possible, for instance with or without the little pad at the back

AteroidbaseImpReb5_zpsf810e087.jpg

And the pad itself can either hold the docking boom or additional landing area for the smaller ships

AteroidbaseImpReb12_zps2bef90d6.jpg

AteroidbaseImpReb11_zps9fbce20f.jpg

The docking boom caters for the larger ships...

AteroidbaseImpReb16_zps2c34ed9c.jpg

Vader and his buddies get together for a cozy little cup of tea before the next campaign of fear and annihilation..

AteroidbaseImpReb14_zps0297325a.jpg

Han stops off at the local drive through 'two shakes and a large Ewok burger with fries please'

AteroidbaseImpReb19_zpsac46db31.jpg

Or a den of scum and villainy where the rebels hatch their nefarious underhand tactics...

AteroidbaseImpReb17_zps0b1d470f.jpg

I might create some alternate plug ins for the weapons too

Put some uglies together, figured they would fit nicely with my upcoming asteroid base :)

Uglies_zps7cca3d31.jpg

Would love some larger individual pics of these!

And bulldoguk, I wish I could click "like" on your asteroid base more than once.

I use a magnifier like this one(mine has a bulb lamp not LED) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-magnifying-glass-LED-light-magnifier-hands-free-/390932592467?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_VisionGlasses_Lenses_SM&hash=item5b0565f753

Also when brush painting try touching both hands. Doing this means both hands shake less and at the same time.

Yeah, I've tried using Magnifying glasses of different sorts. I lose all sense of depth perception when using them. I also do the whole 'touching hands' thing as well. It does help.

Recheck my post above. I managed to get the mini painted, to a standard I am willing to put up with. It's nothing fancy, but at least anyone can see what it is supposed to portray at a glance.

I know one thing. I'm not repainting any others any time soon.

Cheers

I normally only post on my instagram (see my signature), but I'll make an exception and contribute. Cheers!

NiiCLim.jpg

Edited by Wondergecko

IMG_20141228_125456_zpstvonbm0e.jpg

My most recent repaint.

My first paint job is of a non-FFG mini from an old battle of Hoth set i'm repurposing for X-Wing (gonna write up rules for ground units). Still a WIP, hope you guys like it!

34DuZJl.jpg

racs5lo.jpg