DH 1st Edition - Wounds/Damage explanation

By Neochef, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hi All,

I've had a nice little trawl through tinternet and have not really a decent explanation of how damage and wounds come into play for PC's.

The rule book also seems very vague.....

Here is an example of how me and my players currently deal with damage etc.

Mr.A has 11 wounds, toughness bonus of 2 and is wearing 4 (all) armour.

Mr.A enters a firefight and dishes out a few attacks, but then meets a chainsword wielding maniac.

Maniac attempts to hit Mr.A, manages to roll a hit, Mr.A fails to dodge. So Maniac 1 rolls for damage. As it's a rending weapon he rolls two die, scoring 2 and 7, taking the higher one and adding the weapons damage and maniac 1's Str bonus, he ends up dealing 12 damage.

This is where the problems start.......

Say the hit was dealt to Mr.A's body, taking away toughness and armour (-6), we work it out that Mr.A suffers 6 damage, but with penetration (2 say), it goes back up to 8.

Mr.A is then left with 3 wounds....

They exchange blows and next turn maniac hits again, this time hitting for 9 damage, working it out again, Mr.A suffers 5 damage to his arm.

What we currently rule is that, damage is considered body wide, so he's already suffered 8 damage and now he's taken an extra 5, dropping him to -2 (so we roll on the appropriate crit chart).

Next turn he's probably dead, if he cant kill the maniac that is.

My Question is....

Are we working out the wounds correctly? and dishing out damage correctly? should it be 11 wounds per body part or 11 wounds in general?

I've seen a few posts here and there possibly saying that if you score over the wounds (say 13 damage), you only deal 2 damage, or knock one wound off leaving the character with 10 wounds. My understanding was that DH was brutal, you could die in a few turns.

Sorry if this has been covered, or it's a newbie question, but one of my PC's raised the question of "Are we working this out correctly" and we just want to get it sorted out.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, this is correct. The only detail is that you do not roll on the critical chart.

When he drops to -2 Wounds, he suffers the effect listed under "2" on the relevant chart.

To confound the matter, there is the notion of Lightly vs Heavily and Critically wounded, which comes into play when you receive healing (if you survive the fight, that is)

Oop's Typo, we dont roll on the critical chart, that's my mistake!

Many thanks for your help Darth!

Wounds decribe how much punishment the character can take before nasty stuff happens to them, which the crit effects have no short supply of. Toughness help soaking the damage from attack by being physically tough and durable.

For example has the average space marine 18+1d5 wounds as a starting character, and unnatural toughness that mulitiplies their toughness bonus x2, so a reasonably tough space marine could shake such a puny attack of as nothing. Where a human might be heavily wounded, but not to the point of them lossing limbs and their very lives.