Welcome to the End of the World!

By Pipes, in Zombie Apocalypse

I wonder how balanced/difficult the alien invasion is gonna be.

I mean if they stay hidden and hit us with a pandemic virus/ global EMP burst/ mass driver + tectonic plate = megatsunami triple combo we may be dead before we even get to roll.

Gm: "Ok mike, your home town lies just below the alien motherships nucleonic accelerator cannon."

Mike "with the barrel dead center on my house, right?"

Gm: "that would be silly. No the main array is 15 miles to the south of your house."

Tom: "That's a big ship."

Gm: "suddenly you notice a green glow coming from the strange contraption on the underside of the miles wide ship, green arcs of lightning play across the hull and then... it fires! Mike you take 5 D20 x 1000 points of damage!"

Mike: *flips table*

Edited by Robin Graves

No one said the epidemics had to start or be solely focused on your hometowns. Nor that they had to be immediate destruction, they said there would be multiple ways the aliens could attack/be presented so that means varying power levels.

I supose we could have a easy setting in wich the aliens are alergic to water. :)

Multiple ways of attack seems good: alien pod people taking over, or they could pretend to be friendly visitors, or land in remote quiet town they could and inject people who watch them land full of alchohol.

Edited by Robin Graves

I wonder if anyone will be doing Aliens vs. Predator. Having a bunch of acid-blooded monsters wrecking you up, with some foreign hunter killing only select individuals would be interesting.

And right before you call him ugly, he grabs you by the throat and the aliens burst through the door!

And right before you call him ugly, he grabs you by the throat and the aliens burst through the door!

Replace "the aliens burst through the door!" with "then an alien bursts through his chest."

Ok lets get the "Would you survive an encounter with..." subseries started!

Slenderman

scp 173

Slenderman AND scp 173!

Jason Voorhees

Godzilla*

* actually that should be the 5th book in this series: End of the World: Kaiju!

Edited by Robin Graves

Replace "the aliens burst through the door!" with "then an alien bursts through his chest."

His chest and the door! And then he kills the one in his chest and gets up to fight you with a dead baby-alien hanging from the hole in his chest! AND THEN THE NUKES GO OFF!!!

And then Dutch lights his sigar with the burning remains of what could be either a bit of alien or a piece of predator.

Well, got my answer. :D In the homepage section it makes reference to Cthulhu being in the Wrath of the Gods book.

I would love to run a short campaign where the player are tasked with killing people that have turned because loved ones can't stand the thought of them going around mindlessly eating other people, or having to wander into zombie zones to rescue people who are stuck. I'm not sure on the other books just yet, but I'm looking forward to having a new system for cthulhu cause I can't find the one out at the moment very appealing.

The idea sounds cool, I always love me a good apocalypse. The bit about playing yourself though has me skeptical at best. That just screams power gaming no matter what you do.

The idea sounds cool, I always love me a good apocalypse. The bit about playing yourself though has me skeptical at best. That just screams power gaming no matter what you do.

It seems a recipe for hurt feelings and disaster. You can have the greatest group ever but I doubt your 300 lb asthmatic buddy wants to have it pointed out in math...

I'm a decently fit, EOD tech but I never play anything close in RPGs. And I'll repeat that many people probably won't want to role play the undeath of a loved one.

"Your daughter's a zombie now. What do you do?"

"Go back to Star Wars. Have fun, guys!"

Or just create fictional characters like any other RPG. Nobody says you HAVE to be yourself.

But yeah, it's an unique way for advertising the game. :P

Edit: So yes, I agree with the skeptical people there, some stuff might be tricky.

Edited by Gridash

It seems a recipe for hurt feelings and disaster. You can have the greatest group ever but I doubt your 300 lb asthmatic buddy wants to have it pointed out in math...

I'm a decently fit, EOD tech but I never play anything close in RPGs. And I'll repeat that many people probably won't want to role play the undeath of a loved one.

"Your daughter's a zombie now. What do you do?"

"Go back to Star Wars. Have fun, guys!"

Well yeah, it encourages us to do something that actually runs counter to everything we learned about how to play an RPG. Unless they somehow handled it really well, it's a recipe for disaster and we pretty much all came up with reasons why. Being forced to think about loved ones dying (which unfortunately comes with the territory of the genre,) discovering one of the group actually is a real life Marty-Stu or at least thinks he is (which is usually more often the case,) and being forced to be realistic about our abilities or lack thereof. I'm pretty sure if there ever was an actual apocalypse, most of us here would be spending our first "level up" reading up on things like welding and horticulture assuming we weren't all killed in our first level adventure...

Or just create fictional characters like any other RPG. Nobody says you HAVE to be yourself.

But yeah, it's an unique way for advertising the game. :P

Edit: So yes, I agree with the skeptical people there, some stuff might be tricky.

The problem I have is that I don't think this just an advertisement gimmick. This sounds like it's the game's main selling point, in which case... what's the point? I already own Darwin's World, After the Bomb, Eclipse Phase, and a couple of the White Wolf/Swords and Sorcery editions of Gamma World, I can already be myself in any of them and most of them allow for all of these disaster scenarios or are otherwise more interesting. Granted, if it does a good "paint by numbers" apocalypse or have a system that doesn't take several hours teaching the rest of my group I might still be interested but that being said... I need to see the proof in the pudding.