Swashbuckler question

By Gonad the Ballbarian, in Talisman Rules Questions

I don't have the card in front of me, but iirc, it says Swashy can take an extra turn if he wins a battle. I know he doesn't gain the extra turn if defeating a Spirt, but does he get an extra turn if he defeats the Sentinal, the bandit in the Forest, the farmer in the Tavern, the Dragon in the Cave, etc?

Looking at the card image on BGG, it just says "a battle". Nothing about Enemy keywords to be found, so I'd say for him any battle will do. Applies also for CoC I'd say.

we had this come up last night. The swashbuckler wanted to go again after fighting the pit fiends but i having played that character twice never used the ability in the inner region. I guess the confusion comes in trying to decide if he gets to "roll" again or just take a "turn". the card does say turn.

After thinking about it i dont see why not though.

We also debated if psychic combat lets the swashbuckler go again. I always played that it did but in reading the instructions over again i would say that he shouldnt be able to move again on psychic combat with craft.

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

I don't have the card in front of me, but iirc, it says Swashy can take an extra turn if he wins a battle. I know he doesn't gain the extra turn if defeating a Spirt, but does he get an extra turn if he defeats the Sentinal, the bandit in the Forest, the farmer in the Tavern, the Dragon in the Cave, etc?

It's still a battle, so you get a extra turn ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Msrushing said:

we had this come up last night. The swashbuckler wanted to go again after fighting the pit fiends but i having played that character twice never used the ability in the inner region. I guess the confusion comes in trying to decide if he gets to "roll" again or just take a "turn". the card does say turn.

After thinking about it i dont see why not though.

We also debated if psychic combat lets the swashbuckler go again. I always played that it did but in reading the instructions over again i would say that he shouldnt be able to move again on psychic combat with craft.

The swashbuckler only says, that he gets a extra turn if he wins in battle ( not psychic combat.. ( but you figure that out already) gui%C3%B1o.gif

Anyway, if you cast Temporal Warp in the Inner Region, then you have 3 turns to walk quick through the Inner Region towards the Crown gui%C3%B1o.gif

Other Swashbuckler question:

The card says that if you win a battle you may take another turn. You may only use this ability once per turn . The key here is, your immediate new turn for victory is another, ie "an other" turn. Which is to say, not the same turn as your last victory. This can lead to 5+ turns in a row rather easily on a crowded board. Or does it?

Example:
Swash goes, kills a boar. Now he gets another turn. Kills a dragon. Does he get yet another turn (ad nauseum)? Because he has defeated an enemy, and it is now a new, "other" turn, not the same one he started with the boar, and he has defeated an enemy in battle. If he wins a battle in each of his three Temporal Warp turns, can he then take 6 turns in a row? If the Sentinel counts as a battle, why doesn't a strong (10+) swashbuckler just get an extra 50%+ more turns by entering and leaving the middle region repeatedly? And if he encounters an enemy in the outer region, he can take turns until he finds a non-enemy card in the outer region. (Sentinel space to hidden valley, I beat the Sentinel, I take a turn, I go back down to the Sentinel space or nearby hills, fight a boar or whatever, I take another turn, I fight past the Sentinel to land in the Cursed Glade, I take a turn, go back to the fields in the outer region drawing two, defeat a bear, ...)

If two enemies with the same number are battled at the same time (two dragons, for example, battling as a Str 14 uni-monster) and the Swashbuckler wins, he only gets one turn for the battle, but with the Fate Stealer, can he gain 2 fate or just one?

librarycharlie said:

The card says that if you win a battle you may take another turn. You may only use this ability once per turn . The key here is, your immediate new turn for victory is another, ie "an other" turn. Which is to say, not the same turn as your last victory. This can lead to 5+ turns in a row rather easily on a crowded board. Or does it?

Example:
Swash goes, kills a boar. Now he gets another turn. Kills a dragon. Does he get yet another turn (ad nauseum)? Because he has defeated an enemy, and it is now a new, "other" turn, not the same one he started with the boar, and he has defeated an enemy in battle. If he wins a battle in each of his three Temporal Warp turns, can he then take 6 turns in a row? If the Sentinel counts as a battle, why doesn't a strong (10+) swashbuckler just get an extra 50%+ more turns by entering and leaving the middle region repeatedly? And if he encounters an enemy in the outer region, he can take turns until he finds a non-enemy card in the outer region. (Sentinel space to hidden valley, I beat the Sentinel, I take a turn, I go back down to the Sentinel space or nearby hills, fight a boar or whatever, I take another turn, I fight past the Sentinel to land in the Cursed Glade, I take a turn, go back to the fields in the outer region drawing two, defeat a bear, ...)

If two enemies with the same number are battled at the same time (two dragons, for example, battling as a Str 14 uni-monster) and the Swashbuckler wins, he only gets one turn for the battle, but with the Fate Stealer, can he gain 2 fate or just one?

That's not the meaning of the Swashbuckler.

You may only use one extra turn if you win a battle with a enemie or creature.

librarycharlie said:

Card in front of me: "When you win a battle during your turn, you may take an extra turn. You may only do this once per turn".

The obvious purpose of the second sentence is to prevent players from doing repetitive turns as you say, but it is poorly worded. Such as it is, it seems there to prevent the (rather unlikely) event of winning 2 battles in the same turn and get two extra turns.

I'm sure that an extra turn for a victory in battle is good enough for the Swashbuckler, so read it this way: "When you win a battle during your turn, you may take an extra turn. You may take an extra turn in this way only once in your turn".

The "extra turn" is bonded to the turn that generated it, so no more use of this ability after the first time. This doesn't prevent the Swashbuckler from taking 6 consecutive turns if he plays Temporal Warp and everything goes as he hopes.

Your question about Fate Stealer can be answered like the Runesword's one:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=129&efcid=1&efidt=114088

= only 1 Fate against two Enemies fighting like a single entity.

Mattr0polis, on 8 October 2009 - 3:28pm, said:

Ok, just got an official ruling on this straight from John Goodenough:

"The Swashbuckler should be worded "you may only do this once per round".

For example, the Swashbuckler wins a battle and takes an extra turn. If the Swashbuckler wins another battle during this extra turn, he does not gain another extra turn.

Happy gaming!

-John Goodenough"