Navy/ Sith Deck C&C Appreciated

By Verstaka, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

First deck I've made for Star wars now that I've gotten into he game. I just want to hear what you guys think of it.

Imperial Navy Affiliation

Fall of the Jedi x2

Darth Vader

Dark Side Apprentice

Vader' Lightsaber

Force Choke

Heat of Battle

The Emperor's Web x2

Emperor Palpatine

Emperor's Royal Guard

Sith Library

Force Lighting

Force Choke

Counsel of the Sith x1

Advisor to the Emperor

Kuati Security Team

Sith Library

Dark Precognition

Twist of Fate

Death and Despayre x2

Devastator

Imperial Officer

Control Room

Defense Upgrade

Heat of Battle

The Ultimate Power x2

Grand Moff Tarkin

Super Laser Engineer

Stormtrooper Elite

Control Room

Superlaser Blast

Repair and Refurbish x1

Thunderflare

Logistics Officer x2

Weapons Upgrade

Supporting Fire

The basic gameplan of this deck is to destroy objectives and do so fast. The Sith was put in so I'd have access to the removal cards and high force rated cards so the edge battles and force can swing in my favor more often. I am a bit on the fence about keeping Repair and Refurbish I like the healing ability that the objective comes with but none of the cards seem to have much synergy with my decks design to rush objectives down. Maybe Imperial Command so I get Orbital Bombardment and Motti?

My first thought was: Are you aware that you might often get locked out of playing most of your Imperial cards due to having 5 Sets from each Affiliation?

If you weren't aware of it, you might consider running less Sith and a little more Imperial sets if you intend to make Imperial the dominant Affiliation in your deck. The biggest split I would ever personally run is 6/4.

If you were aware of the potential to lock yourself out of one Affiliation's resources being a higher probability and you chose to do so anyway I ask this: why exactly? If you intend to have it mostly be Imperial I don't see the need for that many Sith sets.

Maybe try this:

Imperial Navy Affiliation

Fall of the Jedi x2

The Emperor's Web x2

Counsel of the Sith x2

Death and Despayre x2

Imperial Command x2

Vader and Palpatine for edge battles/controlling the force, several 2 cost units for defence against Sleuths, Devastator and Orbital Bombardment for destruction.

Edited by GroggyGolem

So is the Super Laser card not as great as it sounds? It's access to the Ultimate Power deck that made me want the Imperial Navy affiliation.

So is the Super Laser card not as great as it sounds? It's access to the Ultimate Power deck that made me want the Imperial Navy affiliation.

It is a great card unless it is cancelled by your opponent. It is an Imperial Navy only set though, so if you want to work it in you might have to play around a bit.

I might drop Repair and Refurbish for a second Counsel of the Sith. This gives you the 6/4 split GroggyGolem was talking about. At the same time, it gives you a second Dark Precognition, which is a great card, and being a Sith event, it can combo with Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. A greater chance to get card draw from the objective is also nice.

Personally, I would keep The Ultimate Power instead of Imperial Command. Don't get me wrong -- both are good, and so is Death and Despayre. In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to keep and which to toss. I really like the idea of Death and Despayre so you can get 4 Heat of Battle. It also seems you want to use Superlaser Blast, so I think you should. And if it fails, well, at least Tarkin is making it easier to use blast damage to take objectives.

Instead of Death and Despayre, you could take The Ultimate Power with Imperial Command. Imperial Command brings Orbital Bombardment, giving all your units extra punch against objectives. This combos well with Tarkin's ability. Additionally, but using these two objectives together you get a higher chance of pulling a card with the Superlaser Engineer. But then, you shouldn't really rely on Superlaser Engineer since the only cards it can pull for you are Superlaser Blast and Orbital Bombardment. That's 4 cards out of your whole deck, and if you don't find one of those, all the cards you just revealed are going to the bottom of your deck, meaning you may have just prevented yourself from getting Devastator or Vader in your hand.

I might drop Repair and Refurbish for a second Counsel of the Sith. This gives you the 6/4 split GroggyGolem was talking about. At the same time, it gives you a second Dark Precognition, which is a great card, and being a Sith event, it can combo with Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. A greater chance to get card draw from the objective is also nice.

Personally, I would keep The Ultimate Power instead of Imperial Command. Don't get me wrong -- both are good, and so is Death and Despayre. In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to keep and which to toss. I really like the idea of Death and Despayre so you can get 4 Heat of Battle. It also seems you want to use Superlaser Blast, so I think you should. And if it fails, well, at least Tarkin is making it easier to use blast damage to take objectives.

Instead of Death and Despayre, you could take The Ultimate Power with Imperial Command. Imperial Command brings Orbital Bombardment, giving all your units extra punch against objectives. This combos well with Tarkin's ability. Additionally, but using these two objectives together you get a higher chance of pulling a card with the Superlaser Engineer. But then, you shouldn't really rely on Superlaser Engineer since the only cards it can pull for you are Superlaser Blast and Orbital Bombardment. That's 4 cards out of your whole deck, and if you don't find one of those, all the cards you just revealed are going to the bottom of your deck, meaning you may have just prevented yourself from getting Devastator or Vader in your hand.

I don't think I have benefited once from the Engineer's reaction. I always just end up putting the cards I want to see at the bottom of my deck. Best to use the engineer for just shielding IMO.

Yeah the Engineer seemed like too much of a gamble to actually play so I would probably toss it into an Edge battle (I only have 2 core sets and Balance of the Force so my Imperial Action cards are a bit non-existent).

So the consensus seems to be if I go 6/4 in favor of Sith to drop Repair/ Refurbish to get an additional Counsel. And if I go 6/4 Imperial focused to drop Repair and Counsel for Imperial Command?

Now when I start expanding my collection with the expansions will the deck still hold up or do the sets bring in some power creep? I've heard that the ASoIaF card game was a bit notorious for that.

Yeah the Engineer seemed like too much of a gamble to actually play so I would probably toss it into an Edge battle (I only have 2 core sets and Balance of the Force so my Imperial Action cards are a bit non-existent).

So the consensus seems to be if I go 6/4 in favor of Sith to drop Repair/ Refurbish to get an additional Counsel. And if I go 6/4 Imperial focused to drop Repair and Counsel for Imperial Command?

Now when I start expanding my collection with the expansions will the deck still hold up or do the sets bring in some power creep? I've heard that the ASoIaF card game was a bit notorious for that.

Some newer sets synergize better with some of the core set stuff than the rest of it. For instance, in the Hoth Cycle, the second force pack entitled The Search for Skywalker has an Imperial Navy objective set called Deploy the Fleet. This set introduces some really powerful Death Squadron Star Destroyers, as well as some ways to make Capital Ships cost less to play and rewards for being aggressive. This set synergizes well with the core set objective set called Kuat Reinforcements. Both of those Objectives have ways of making Vehicles cheaper to play which can be combined to toss out more Star Destroyers than your opponent can deal with. My current deck for Imperial Navy runs 2 copies of both of these objective sets.

So yeah, there are powerful and different things in the new cards but it in no way invalidates the older objective sets. Often times new sets make the older sets more advantageous to use. Another example would be The Slimiest Scheme pairing well with Jabba's Reach.

Definitely keep Ultimate Power, especially if you want to play it. Fall of the Jedi is a GREAT set to pair with it. I also personally feel that Death and Despayre is great with these two, but maybe not with both ...

In the end, try it out. Play 10 games or so with it without doing anything, and see how it goes.

Edited by MasterJediAdam