Force Powers and NPC's

By Enoch52, in Game Mechanics

I haven't playtested the rules yet (my players are firmly entrenched in EotE), but I'm concerned that a lot of the Force powers seem to take effect without any opportunity for the target to oppose them.

For example, Bind. If I'm reading it correctly, if I create an NPC with Bind, he can basically take a Marauder out of the fight. Granted, the rest of the party can still shoot the guy, and the NPC has to use his action for this and roll decently. Still, sucks to be that Marauder for the fight. Harm inflicts wounds, no test required (beyond generating the Force points), although the target could, I suppose, leave Engaged.

Outside of combat (or potentially so), Misdirect. There's no Perception or Discipline check to determine if somebody's fooled. At least in Influence there's an opposed check to force somebody to adopt an emotional state or belief.

Am I reading something wrong, or is a lot of the players' narrative authority taken away by these powers?

There's an opposed check sidebar to allow for resisting on p.195.

I've worried about that myself, but they do have a sidebar that gives possible solutions. PC's and Major NPC's can be allowed to resist, usually using whatever attribute/skill is deemed appropriate. Like athletics to resist having your gun pulled from your hand.

There's a discussion on the general forums with people brainstorming alternative ideas.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114263-new-resist-force-power-rules/

Edited by Split Light

Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I was hoping--a Force User will make a great BBEG, but the worst part of any fight (whether in tabletop, turn-based games, etc.) is sitting out and waiting for your turn. I'd hate to have my player who loves the combat system most of all have to sit the fight out without even a chance to resist.

For example, Bind. If I'm reading it correctly, if I create an NPC with Bind, he can basically take a Marauder out of the fight. Granted, the rest of the party can still shoot the guy, and the NPC has to use his action for this and roll decently. Still, sucks to be that Marauder for the fight. Harm inflicts wounds, no test required (beyond generating the Force points), although the target could, I suppose, leave Engaged.

There's a real simple way to keep your BBEG from taking your Marauder out of the fight: simply don't have him use Bind.

"Hey, why didn't Lord Sith just choke me to death?" Oh, man, that's the last objection your players are going to be raising...

The sketchy resistance against the Force is a godsend to GM's eveyrwhere. I means you can have powers affect PCs when you want (and, natrually, at no other time). "You're cheating!" Young fool -- the rules let me cheat. It also means if players want to throw powers at Lord Sith, they're going to be rolling a bunch of Reds (because Adversary and skill ranks).

There's a real simple way to keep your BBEG from taking your Marauder out of the fight: simply don't have him use Bind.

"Hey, why didn't Lord Sith just choke me to death?" Oh, man, that's the last objection your players are going to be raising...

The sketchy resistance against the Force is a godsend to GM's eveyrwhere. I means you can have powers affect PCs when you want (and, natrually, at no other time). "You're cheating!" Young fool -- the rules let me cheat. It also means if players want to throw powers at Lord Sith, they're going to be rolling a bunch of Reds (because Adversary and skill ranks).

Does adversary work against Force Power checks?

Adversary by the RAW applies only to combat checks. A combat check is defined as using a combat skill to attack a target. Combat skills being ranged light, ranged heavy, melee, lightsaber, brawl and gunnery.

Edited by Demigonis

Adversary by the RAW applies only to combat checks. A combat check is defined as using a combat skill to attack a target. Combat skills being ranged light, ranged heavy, melee, lightsaber, brawl and gunnery.

Or mechanics when using explosives... Discipline when using Move... Athletics to throw a stormtrooper at them...

Weapon skills are certainly the most common combat checks, but not the only ones...

Or mechanics when using explosives... Discipline when using Move... Athletics to throw a stormtrooper at them...

Weapon skills are certainly the most common combat checks, but not the only ones...

To my knowledge weapon skills are the only combat checks. Situations like Move specifically say they are resolved following the rules for ranged attacks. Other than that type of example, the words 'combat check' never actually appear as part of an actual Force power to my knowledge. What a combat check is is clearly defined on pg 147. (F&D pg 147 for reference)

With Mechanics, you're essentially deploying a mine or explosive, not making an actual combat check with it unless there's a section I'm overlooking.

Edit: Although in the gear section it does refer to the skills column as the skill used for the combat check. I think mechanics is kind of the odd exception to the rule.

Edited by Demigonis