Dual Strike and Swift Attack

By craigpearson81, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I'm not sure how many folk on here use the Dark Reign forum but this has been a recent topic of discussion.

In the rules it states that Dual Strike cannot be combined with Lightening Attack but does not say it cannot be combined with Lightening Attack's prequisite, Swift Attack. This point has been argued by several people, stating it should be legal. I agree it is strange to say it cannot be used with one, but not the other.

The other view (the view I have argued), is that the descriptions of both Dual Strike and Swift Attack state "as a full action". Since a character can only make 1 full action or 2 half actions in a single round of combat, they cannot be combined.

This has not been cleared up in any of the Errata.

craigpearson81 said:

This has not been cleared up in any of the Errata.

Yes it was, did you even read it?

Swift Attack on page 122 should include the addition “If you
have the Two-Weapon Wielder talent and are wielding two melee
weapons, you get the advantage of Swift Attack with only one
of the weapons, and a single attack with the other. If you have
the Two-Weapon Wielder talent and are wielding a melee weapon
in one hand and a pistol in the other, you get the advantage of
Swift Attack with the melee weapon and a single attack with the
pistol.”

Yes I have read most of it, but that quote doesn't address the issue under debate.

Okay, if you have Swift Attack and Two-Weapon Weilder you get 2 attacks with one weapon and 1 with the other.

The issue under debate is if you can use Dual Strike with Swift Attack, effectively meaning because you attack with both weapons at the same you get 2 attacks on both of your Swift Strike attacks, and 2 of which ignore toughness bonus.

It is being questioned by alot of people because it says you can't use Dual Strike with Lightening Attack, but not with Swift Attack.

One dual strike/shot is one full action, thus no benefit from swift strike.

however the book also states that using swift/lightning attack is a full action. so is using two weapons.

but yet, you get to combine those

NO, you absolutely cannot combine Swift/Lightning Attack with Dual Strike.

Swift/Lightning Attack is a Full Action, as is Dual Strike. You cannot perform two Full Actions.

why are some full round actions combined, while others are not?

firing on full auto is a full action

attacking with two weapons is a full action.

lightning/swift attack is a full melee action.

yet the game lets you combine full auto and two weapon as well as two weapons and lightning/swift attack.

The ones that are allowed to be combined are specified in the book - and I agree with everyone that said Dual Strike and Swift Attack should not be combined.

Two-weapon fighting is in reality just a fighting style - allowing someone to fire two-weapons on full auto is really just a measure of how well they can fight with their chosen style.

However, dual strike represents a fighter concentrating all his prowess on htting the same area with both weapons, as such I can't see how you would feasibly allow a second attack with one of two weapons when you just focused all your ability in the first strike.