Why didnt they include enough Monsters?

By Luftwaffe Flak, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This has been a question Ive had for awhile but forgot until the new forums went up, why didnt they choose to include a few more of the monsters in question in Journey's in the Dark as some they have you substituting colors (which isnt THAT big of a deal) but in some scenarios they actually have you substituting a whole other Monster for a Demon...to me thats a little strange and a little ill planned.

2nd question is do any of the expansions utilize this same mechanic of substitution? TIA

Ordinarily, you are bound by the plastic limits. You cannot have more monsters of one type than you have figures.

So for those that they instruct you to replace monsters with different figures, that is an exception. They are saying "you should never be allowed to have this many monsters in a normal game, but this scenario is an exception".

At least, that is the only reason that I can think of.

Oh I think I get it, it was their way of balancing the game? But at the same time I dont see how this balances anything as there are no cards that Ive seen that allow you to spawn a Demon, so if a scenario calls for 3 demons to be placed, why would they only include 2 Demons and ask you to place a Giant proxied as a Demon?

Blame the scenario author before anything else.

More plastic means more pricy product, meaning less sales... Quest authors should write scenarios with what's available in the box, period.

I too don't get the logic of placing more static monsters than are available in the box, and I certainly don't want to imagine that this Giant figure is actually a Demon...

Anyways, I blame the scenario authors, not the "limited" number of minis in the box.

Cheers!

iam said:

Blame the scenario author before anything else.

More plastic means more pricy product, meaning less sales... Quest authors should write scenarios with what's available in the box, period.

I too don't get the logic of placing more static monsters than are available in the box, and I certainly don't want to imagine that this Giant figure is actually a Demon...

Anyways, I blame the scenario authors, not the "limited" number of minis in the box.

Cheers!

That's true. I didn't think about the fact that the plastic likely came first. happy.gif

Excellent point! I hadnt thought of that but your most likely correct.

I dont mind substituting the Master for normal and normal for Masters but is there any more actual proxying in the expansions?

My question is...

Why can't we purchase more minions for this game if so many quests are asking us to use replacement minions?

Luftwaffe Flak said:

Excellent point! I hadnt thought of that but your most likely correct.

I dont mind substituting the Master for normal and normal for Masters but is there any more actual proxying in the expansions?

No, this scenario only happens in the base game.

Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect it's because Kevin didn't know what the final monster tally count was going to be when he was designing the scenarios. If you look up old articles where he talks about the game prior to it coming out, he would give the number of figures as a range rather than an actual figure, and from memory the final tally was towards the lower end of that range. So I suspect when he was designing the maps he thought the game would come with more monsters than it did, and when the costings were worked out it had to be scaled back by a bit.

Thanks the help is greatly appreciated! I guess I can survive this one scenario then LOL. I'll probably find something to use that looks like a Demon rather than using the Giant.

Just remember if they kill one Demon replace the Giant with the killed Demon, so that way the Giant will only be there for a short time. Or you can say he was using a transforming spell to make himself look like a Giant.

Good point Spanky, using ones imagination is a good thing as well!