Copper level legendary area

By Lord Loren Soth, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello Guys

we are playing a new descent campaign and i'm as always playing the overlord, my group entered last saturday the legendary area(we are at copper right now) it was a very very long session it lasted 6 hours and they picked up only 1 pile of gems without killing the dragon i kept playing creatures and kept killing heroes pratically every 1 or 2 turns, in the end after 6 hours they fled the dungeon, XP results: Heroes 4, Overlord 52!!!

what do you think?

be sure we know the rules and nothing went wrong with them :) and i own all expansions so we used feat cards too.

Something is not right, they would have to have earned a lot more then 4 XP. They would have probably activated glyphs, and had to have killed the bosses on the floors prior to entering the cavern. Unless you are just referring to that particular floor of the dungeon, in which case I'm not sure how you would end up with 4 XP.

Either way, it sounds as if something is not right in that scenario, although I have to agree that the Caverns are a difficult dungeon for the heroes, much more so then most of the Rumors.

Dashakan said:

Something is not right, they would have to have earned a lot more then 4 XP. They would have probably activated glyphs, and had to have killed the bosses on the floors prior to entering the cavern. Unless you are just referring to that particular floor of the dungeon, in which case I'm not sure how you would end up with 4 XP.

Either way, it sounds as if something is not right in that scenario, although I have to agree that the Caverns are a difficult dungeon for the heroes, much more so then most of the Rumors.

they activated only one of the glyphs and they killed all the monsters on the left wing of the legendary area but i began spawning and spawning and spawning that's why they could not reach the 2 glyphs on the center wing

just a question: legendary areas have only 1 level right? (just to be sure) if legendary areas have more levels then we played wrong otherwise no we played right

Lord Loren Soth said:

Dashakan said:

they activated only one of the glyphs and they killed all the monsters on the left wing of the legendary area but i began spawning and spawning and spawning that's why they could not reach the 2 glyphs on the center wing

just a question: legendary areas have only 1 level right? (just to be sure) if legendary areas have more levels then we played wrong otherwise no we played right

For a legendary area, there are 4 levels. You play 3 normal dungeon levels, but instead of leaving the dungeon after level 3, you go to a 4th level which is the legendary area. If you did that well without having built up power cards, threat, etc...you did VERY well.

Feanor said:

Lord Loren Soth said:

Dashakan said:

For a legendary area, there are 4 levels. You play 3 normal dungeon levels, but instead of leaving the dungeon after level 3, you go to a 4th level which is the legendary area. If you did that well without having built up power cards, threat, etc...you did VERY well.

that was my doubt the levels, we tought that legendary areas had only their normal levels ok Thanks next time we will play it right :)

Lord Loren Soth said:

Dashakan said:

Something about this makes me suspect you aren't using the reinforcement marker correctly. The relevant rules are on page 17 of the RtL rulebook.

Also, how are you coming up with 4CT again? Glyphs are worth 3.

You were getting enough threat to pay the 15 threat to flip the reinforcement marker plus whatever threat was required to pay the spawn cost?

I wonder if he was flipping it as the start of each area on the dungeon level.

Lord Foul said:

Lord Loren Soth said:

Dashakan said:

Something about this makes me suspect you aren't using the reinforcement marker correctly. The relevant rules are on page 17 of the RtL rulebook.

yes we are using all the rules correctly even the reinforcement marker, as i said the only problem was we werent sure if the legendary areas have 3 levels or just 1

Dashakan said:

The 1 CT for entering an unexplored dungeon, I'd assume. There might be chests on that level also.

How far into copper are you? Early copper, with upgraded beasts, I could easily see the an overly stubborn party getting bogged down and slaughtered in the Caverns of Thul.

Badend said:

Dashakan said:

The 1 CT for entering an unexplored dungeon, I'd assume. There might be chests on that level also.

How far into copper are you? Early copper, with upgraded beasts, I could easily see the an overly stubborn party getting bogged down and slaughtered in the Caverns of Thul.

I didn't even think to consider the 1 for entering the space, as it isn't in the dungeon. Thats probably it though, good point.

4 for an entire dungeon where the heroes reached the fourth floor?

Isn't that...terrible?

Thundercles said:

4 for an entire dungeon where the heroes reached the fourth floor?

Isn't that...terrible?

Among other things, the OP(? at least of this subthread) made a rules error in thinking that the special dungeons comprised of just the one level. Arguably that's even worse - 50-4 on the first (big) level!

On only one dungeon level they would have very limited opportunity to gain conquest as the heroes really rely on those glyphs and dungeon leaders for conquest. 4 conquest would represent a single glyph and perhaps a chest that yielded no treasures. This seems in line with a party getting badly trounced by master dragon/beastman war party sandwiches on the single dungeon level they played.