Possible typo and some rules clarifications....

By jetermi, in Battlestar Galactica

On page 22 of the rule book under 'Activate Raiders' it says the following:

3. If there are no civilian ships in the area, the viper moves one space area towards the nearest civilian ship. If several civilian ships are equidistant, it moves clockwise around the Galactica.

This should read " Raider " instead of " Viper ", right?

1. If you are succesful in your skill check to leave the Brig, do you continue back on the order of events and draw a crisis card next?

2. You remove civilian ships from the game as they are destroyed. What do you do when you run out of civilian ships and are required to put one in play?

3. Recommendation: Put the Brig in the index for the next printing. It seems there are a lot of questions surrounding how the Brig works, so it would seem useful to have all references listed in the index.

4. When someone new becomes President, are all of Quorum cards that the previous President had, handed over to the new president? I think that they are, but it wasn't completely clear.

5. Clarification....Heavy Raiders ignore Vipers and can drop off a boarding party even if there is a Viper in the same space, correct?

Thats it for now, thank you in advance for any answers.

I really like this game!

1. I would say no crisis, but am not sure.

2. No counters, no effect. Although if you lost all your civilian ships your population must be quite low (didnt make the sum of pop loss, but I wouldnt be surprised if it reached 0). Anyway, If all civilian ships were destroyed, you dont place them anymore. One less thing to worry about ^^.

3. That could be useful. Make us a nice pdf containing all brig questions? :P

4. Yes, all quorum cards are passed to the new prez. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the rule book.

5. Heavy Raiders dont care about smaller ships. Their only purpose is to board the BSG. So yes, they board even if vipers are present.

Lonewolf said:

On page 22 of the rule book under 'Activate Raiders' it says the following:

3. If there are no civilian ships in the area, the viper moves one space area towards the nearest civilian ship. If several civilian ships are equidistant, it moves clockwise around the Galactica.

This should read " Raider " instead of " Viper ", right?

1. If you are succesful in your skill check to leave the Brig, do you continue back on the order of events and draw a crisis card next?

2. You remove civilian ships from the game as they are destroyed. What do you do when you run out of civilian ships and are required to put one in play?

3. Recommendation: Put the Brig in the index for the next printing. It seems there are a lot of questions surrounding how the Brig works, so it would seem useful to have all references listed in the index.

4. When someone new becomes President, are all of Quorum cards that the previous President had, handed over to the new president? I think that they are, but it wasn't completely clear.

5. Clarification....Heavy Raiders ignore Vipers and can drop off a boarding party even if there is a Viper in the same space, correct?

Thats it for now, thank you in advance for any answers.

I really like this game!

Yes its a typo

1. I would say, yes you do draw a crisis.

2. you dont play any more

4. yes

5. yes.

Since the Brig-effect is ongoing only for as long as you are in the Brig, you draw a crisis card at the end of your turn if you got out of it.

As for the civilian ships - in another thread somebody counted all population and tallied it. If you lose all civilian ships, your population resource (according to his post) will be at 1 - Galactica's population. If this ever happens, the cylons will have an easy game with you, since reducing population isn't as hard as it looks.

Lonewolf said:

My opinion would be no Crisis Card. When a character is in the brig they are limited in the impact that they can have on the game. The reason they draw no Crisis is partially to counter that they are unable to as helpful in dealing with the problems that the humans are having to overcome. Even on the turn that they are freed from the brig they have been forced to use their action to get out of the brig instead of attempting some other more useful action. I would say no crisis. The effects of the brig do not say to draw no Crisis Card, unless you get out this turn . It says that you simply do not draw a crisis card.

Okay, part of the effect of being in the brig is that you don't draw a crisis card while in the brig . Here's what an escaping player's turn looks like:

1. Movement (can't while in brig)

2. Action (leave brig, go to another location)

3. Crisis (no crisis card drawn while in the brig... but am I in the brig? Nope, see step 2.)

So draw a crisis card and resolve it normally.

I'm not convinced by the arguments that "but then it would be too hard on the poor guy who got thrown in the brig". First, getting thrown in the brig is not supposed to be a good thing. Either you screwed up and sent a fellow human to the brig, or you screwed up and allowed a cylon to throw a fellow human, or you screwed up and allowed a cylon to escape the brig. There should be a penalty for any of those scenarios.

Also, don't forget that you've been drawing your full set of cards while in the brig, but were only able to play one per crisis. You should have a nicely tuned up hand by the time you get sprung, and a crisis directly afterwards would help balance this out.

I can see good arguments to both sides of the Brig and Crisis question. Hopefully the next release of the FAQ can clear this up.

There is no need to clear this up, seriously. The effect of not drawing a crisis card applies to you for as lon as you are in the Brig location. As soon as you're out, it does not any longer. During the crisis phase step, you check for any modifiers that apply to your current situation. Since you are no longer in the Brig location, the location's effect does not apply to you. Hence you draw a crisis card. This is pretty straightforward and demands neither clarification nor errata.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I think I have a pretty decent handle on the rules now!