Malazan books by Steven Erikson

By Staton, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

Has anyone else read these books? I would imagine so, they seem to be pretty popular. I really like the fact that it delves into the battle from the viewpoints of common soldiers, but you still get a glimpse at the game being played by the major players/gods. Very well done, and I don't think I've gotten bogged down at all, but I did skip Midnight Tides all together. It seemed dumb. I really really really really want Karsa to finally do something. Like snap and kill a freakin' city or something. Or maybe fight Icarium. And there needs to be WAY more segulah. WAY more.

For reasons which got nothing to do with the book and the story i somehow never passed page 100 in the first volume gardens of the moon. I think i ´ll have to take the task once up again and at least finsih reading the first volume. I liked the storyline so far, but of course i can´t say much about how good the whole Malazan book cycle really is.

been saying it for a while. My favortie is still deadhouse gates (book two)

Also there is a new book (well new to AMerica) by Esslemont (sp) who helped Erickson create the world.

Yeah I'm not sure when I'll get around to those 5 books by the other guy. He's written 2 or 3 now? I really want to read his first book, Night of Knives? But I don't know about the other ones. I never really liked the Crimson Guard, but I'll probably read it at some point.

As for the ones by Erikson, Deadhouse Gates was pretty amazing. And it introduced Keneb, who is badass. And it had Coltaine, who somehow was able to defy impossible odds by sheer will alone. God I wanted to kill that High Fist at Aren! Anyway, all that said, I still like Memories of Ice better, just because it has the Bridgeburners. Deadhouse Gates only had Fid and Kalam, right? and the entire time I was reading Deadhouse Gates I just KNEW that Quick Bed was up to some badass **** that I was missing out on.

And did I miss anything with not reading Midnight Tides?

well, if you want to read reaper's gale (or have it make a lot of sense) then you should read midnight tides. Trull seneger is pretty kick ass too. Tehol bedict and bug are very funny and have some amazing dialogue.

Meh. Reaper's Gale made enough sense. They made enough talk about what had happened before that I was able to figure it out. I just got done with that one and I need to read Toll of Hounds now. I really don't want to buy the trade paperback though. is the normal paperback out yet? and seriously. is Karsa ever going to actually fight icarium? He HAS to, right?!

No he doesn't have to figt him... not to say he won't at some point in the series.

Steven is a really great guy, and this series is one of my three favorite (Martin being one and the Sigma novels by James Rollins being the other).

I've enjoyed every book I've read in it as well as Knight of Knives.

Have to say about the only thing that would make me pick up another CCG would be this as the IP.

dormouse said:

Have to say about the only thing that would make me pick up another CCG would be this as the IP.

Wow, Dmouse - you read my mind. If I am ever rich and decide to do something stupid, I would hire Eric Lang to develop a game for this IP (or, if aGoT ever died, to convert the aGoT rules to this). The characters would just be AMAZING. Imagine playing a Bridgeburners deck...yum!

I am on my 2nd readthrough on the series, which really helps. Erikson's main issue is calling all the **** races very simliar which is tough for someone like me who reads fast. But, it is the definition of an epic series. Deadhouse Gates is probably in my top 5 of all-time fantasy.

You are talking about the Tiste yes? Edur, Liosan, and Andii? Pretty easy to keep in mind to me. ;)

A bridgburner deck would be pretty awesome... but a D'Ivers deck, or one based around Paran as the Master of the Dragon Deck would probably be more my style... then again there is something to be said for the treachery and single minded conviction of Anomander Rake and the Tiste Andii.

I always figured that someday I wouldn't be able to find a game that could keep my attention at the same time I have a job that pays me enough to pay my bills but not enough work to take up all my time and I'd find a couple of other interested parties and we'd just create a card game ourselves based on this IP. I'm a social player at heart and having4-6 people I can play a game with would suit me just fine... of course that would never stop me from trying to approach Erickson. Esselmont and a gaming company about producing it if I felt it had promise. One day I will get paid to make games.