Investigator pool running out?

By Drosselmeier, in Arkham Horror League

What happens when you run out of investigators for a scenario? Am I right in assuming that you get a score of zero for that scenario? The FAQ states that you can play each scenario as many times as you like but that's only as long as you don't run out of characters, right?

The pool resets at each scenario... so if you have 12 investigators to choose from in Scenario 2 and you killed them all guess you need to replay 2. But if you made it down to you last 3 in 2 and won. The resets at 3 and you have 12 investigators to choose from.

So in other words there is no way to fail a scenario? Doesn't seem right to me.

The FAQ says that the pool is refreshed once a new scenario is posted. That has to mean that you refresh it once you move on to a new scenario. It also says that if an investigator is devoured and the pool is empty that player is out for the scenario. This all implies that you're limited to twelve investigators and that you get a score of zero once you use those up. Am I wrong?

Yea if you somehow managed to get all the investigators devoured before the AO awakens the scenario is failed. You also can loss in the scenario if the AO eats everyone in the final battle... no replacing investigators in the final battle!

Yes, but my question is, do I then get to replay the scenario or do I have to take a result of zero points for that scenario?

Drosselmeier said:

Yes, but my question is, do I then get to replay the scenario or do I have to take a result of zero points for that scenario?

You can replay the scenario as many times as you want... Infact you can beat it and play it again to try and get a better score or not bet it a play until you do OR skip it and come back later!

MrsGamura said:

Drosselmeier said:

You can replay the scenario as many times as you want... Infact you can beat it and play it again to try and get a better score or not bet it a play until you do OR skip it and come back later!

Even if I manage to get the twelve investigators devoured? Am I never under any circumstances forced to accept a score of zero?

If this is the case, what is the point of even having a pool that refreshes and all that?

Is it purely hypothetical or did you have all 12 devoured? If you did, I'd love to hear the story!

If you got all 12 investigators devoured before the AO wakes up you should get a sticker or something cause that would be funny.

Hehe... I'm not talking about all twelve in a single game. That would be the greatest game of AH ever played though.

I'm asking because my four player group has failed scenario four two times. That means that we've lost eight investigators which leaves us with four left to use. My question is, if we fail a third time, does the pool refresh or are we forced to submit a score of zero for that scenario.

The leaue rules are phrased in a way that implies that you only get new Ancient One fodder once you move on to the next scenario but people don't seem to play that way.

Post your question to the FAQ and JR will probably answer it.

I would assume, however, that since only one scenario play counts for the League score, you can replay a single scenario as many times as you wish without penalty -- otherwise 3 consecutive losses of 4 investigators to the AO would typically run the pool dry (and teams of more than 6 investigators would only get one shot).

I think the rule is to limit game strategies of using investigators as disposable resources (i.e., to get equipment, money, etc. or to replace the severely handicapped). By removing investigators from play once they're devoured, the incentive for employing this strategy is decreased (especially for larger teams). Note: I've never tried this strategy before, so I don't know how well it might work -- though it might be interesting to try sometime. gui%C3%B1o.gif

That makes some sense. I've seen people discuss strategies involving getting devoured on purpose in some situations here on the forum but I didn't connect it to the league. It's a bit too gamey for my group so we just didn't consider that reason.

It seems to be the consensus that you get as many shots at each scenario as you like. If that's how everyone else plays it then that's what we'll do as well. The reason I posted the question was that we don't want to inadvertently cheat or anything...

I'm just happy to finish a scenario so if I do that I stop... even with a score of 0.

Yeah... we don't replay once we've finished a scenario either. It's more fun to move on to the next scenario. It would have sucked to not be able to win a scenario though. Right now we're down to our last four investigators so I'm happy to hear that our upcoming game isn't our last shot at that thing...

Drosselmeier said:

Hehe... I'm not talking about all twelve in a single game. That would be the greatest game of AH ever played though.

I'm asking because my four player group has failed scenario four two times. That means that we've lost eight investigators which leaves us with four left to use. My question is, if we fail a third time, does the pool refresh or are we forced to submit a score of zero for that scenario.

The leaue rules are phrased in a way that implies that you only get new Ancient One fodder once you move on to the next scenario but people don't seem to play that way.

While not for the league, i did just play a solo game against Yog-Sothoth + Black Goat in which I ran through 9 investigators. I started with four (my usual) all of whom were devoured, three from LiTaS and the last, Sister Mary, being done in by two consecutive Head Wound injuries. My first replacement, Mandy, was in play for just two turns until she was sucked into a gate where on her first encounter she ended up LiTaS! The game ended, as usual, in nail biting fashion, with one gate needing closing vs. only one spot left on the doom track. Forturnately, gate was closed first!

ricedwlit said:

While not for the league, i did just play a solo game against Yog-Sothoth + Black Goat in which I ran through 9 investigators. I started with four (my usual) all of whom were devoured, three from LiTaS and the last, Sister Mary, being done in by two consecutive Head Wound injuries. My first replacement, Mandy, was in play for just two turns until she was sucked into a gate where on her first encounter she ended up LiTaS! The game ended, as usual, in nail biting fashion, with one gate needing closing vs. only one spot left on the doom track. Forturnately, gate was closed first!

That remindes me of my game last night. We were going against Yog and the very first Arkham Encounter ended wih Jim having an encounter at the Lodge and being sent to LiTaS from failing a fight check. My friend was Jim for not even 1 full turn...