Multiple Levels like Necromunda?

By youngpyromancer, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Is this game played over a flat 2D battlefield, or a multi-leveled 3D battlefield like Necromunda?

Edited by youngpyromancer

From my experience with Descent (this game seems very similar) and the video reviews I've seen, the game will probably be played in a 2D battlefield. It will have terrain modifiers to simulate height levels (at least in Descent you have flying monsters and IA will have flying drones, I suppose).

That's a shame since the cover art shows a fight happening on two levels. It's a shame if it's just a 2d game.

Some of the scenarios may have several height levels (Descent has them, so I don't see why IA won't), but they'll be represented with different 2D map tiles, unlike Necromunda or Mordheim where you have real scenery and 3D fights...

On the other hand, nothing prevents you from using house rules to simulate 3D battles using scenery, but I don't think we'll get official rules for that.

That's a shame since the cover art shows a fight happening on two levels. It's a shame if it's just a 2d game.

Necromunda is a miniature game where you make your scenery yourself and the size of the battlefield is up to the players playing the game. You move a certain number of inch depending on your speed.

Imperial Assault is a boardgame that come with board tiles that you set to determine the battlefield. You move a certain number of square depending on your speed. Think Heroquest, Mutant Chronicles, Decent, etc...

They're not the same type of game.

Necromunda is a miniature game where you make your scenery yourself and the size of the battlefield is up to the players playing the game. You move a certain number of inch depending on your speed.

Imperial Assault is a boardgame that come with board tiles that you set to determine the battlefield. You move a certain number of square depending on your speed. Think Heroquest, Mutant Chronicles, Decent, etc...

They're not the same type of game.

yea, I have an extensive collection of necromunda minis and card terrain and have been playing it for almost 20 years. But thanks for the info.

Some of the scenarios may have several height levels (Descent has them, so I don't see why IA won't), but they'll be represented with different 2D map tiles, unlike Necromunda or Mordheim where you have real scenery and 3D fights...

On the other hand, nothing prevents you from using house rules to simulate 3D battles using scenery, but I don't think we'll get official rules for that.

I'm actually going to try to playtest some 3D scenery when this game comes out. Hopefully I'll be able to post some playtest results when we finish. The fact that IA is on a grid and necromunda (and other 40k games) are not is not the issue.

they might have rules for actual terrain for the skirmish rules

I doubt we'd really expect gantries and urban warfare building-to street battles. As a scenario designer, I would simulate it with multi board mechanics (i did something similar for a space station battle in another wargame). Say you want a gunfight like in A New Hope when Leia and Luke are shooting up at a different catwalk on the Death Star. Just keep the tiles separated, with a (or several) blank space(s) between the catwalks. In fact, it would give the Rebels a sense of urgency to eliminate the overwatching stormtroopers before the pursuing ones bust through the door and overwhelm them, forcing them to take much bigger risks to escape. Building to building urban warfare could be demonstrated in a similar way.

The problem with this system is that you will never really be able to have one model directly over another. Honestly, that's fine, as it's kind of a pain when it happens in true 3d games anyway. You have to get your hand into the building and move the model without shaking the whole thing or moving any of the miniatures on the building. By keeping the other levels on separate boards, you can still have the drama and intensity without sacrificing any of the ease of play or diminishing the significance of the other levels. Suddenly that underground sewer access becomes a chokepoint, or a gunfight breaks out between snipers on opposing rooftops.

Just so long as everyone is clear on where the levels are, 2d terrain can be every bit as dynamic as 3d terrain is.

Actually the grid made me think of Space Hulk. Wonder if the grid squares are close enough in size. It would be cool to be able to mix and match between.

OT, youngpyromancer, who did you play in Necromunda? I was Vansaar, Orlock, and Genestealer Cult.

Actually the grid made me think of Space Hulk. Wonder if the grid squares are close enough in size. It would be cool to be able to mix and match between.

OT, youngpyromancer, who did you play in Necromunda? I was Vansaar, Orlock, and Genestealer Cult.

yeah I've played a lot of orlock as well as delaque but mostly scavvies.