Healing Trance

By Gigerstreak, in Game Mechanics

I was thinking about this talent yesterday as I pondered the development of my sage/healer. It's nice in concept, and thematically it fits, but the talent actually seems a bit weak. You can commit 1 force die for 24 hours to gain between 1 and 3 extra wounds depending on rank, or you could use a stimpack. That doesn't even get into the fact that most Healers are probably going to have the Heal/Harm power, which renders the healing trance even more redundant.

How is it redundant? Unless I'm reading it wrong, the Heal power can't be used on oneself.

I would like to see healing trance be treated like using a Bacta tank, but to balance it out, make it more expensive, and the Force User must actually be in a trance (thus, unable to do much else but sit there).

Edited by kaosoe

@whafrog: IIRC, update #2 clarified that it can. Which I think is a mistake.

@whafrog: IIRC, update #2 clarified that it can. Which I think is a mistake.

Thanks for the info. That does seem like a mistake, might as well replace all the Healing Trance talent slots with something else.

I was thinking about this talent yesterday as I pondered the development of my sage/healer. It's nice in concept, and thematically it fits, but the talent actually seems a bit weak. You can commit 1 force die for 24 hours to gain between 1 and 3 extra wounds depending on rank, or you could use a stimpack. That doesn't even get into the fact that most Healers are probably going to have the Heal/Harm power, which renders the healing trance even more redundant.

How is it redundant? Unless I'm reading it wrong, the Heal power can't be used on oneself.

You can't use the heal power on yourself? I hadn't realized that, I'll have to go read it again.

You can't use the heal power on yourself? I hadn't realized that, I'll have to go read it again.

The first Beta update fixed the wording for the heal ability. it now is worded in such a was to allow the user to heal oneself.

Something else to consider - Healing Trance is a prerequisite for Improved Healing Trance and Improved Healing Trance lets you make a Resilience roll to recover a Critical when you recover wounds. Recovering from Criticals is normally a slow process so anything that speeds this up is both powerful and useful. Therefore maybe it is all right if the regular Healing Trance is a liitle weak, people will want it anyway to get the Improved version.

Edited by pnewman15

It seems to me that the purpose of Healing Trance is for the Consular Healer to use on himself after he has taken twenty five wounds and is unconscious and has nothing better to do with his Force dice while unconscious.

There probably isn't a second person in the party with good medical skills to help him. Since Jedi are not typically rich, and since many Jedi will be reluctant to steal others money (to buy more Stim-Packs) or stim-packs (either of which will cause Conflict) stim-packs will probably be scarce and the party may not have any left to use on the Consular.

It may not be such a problem in a mixed party.