Astropath Shipboard Actions. Invocate, or no Invocate?

By Arkaidos, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

One of our players recently started up a new Astropath character, and has been making use of the new Astropath shipboard actions from the Navis Primer.

My question is: Should he be able to roll Invocation prior to performing actions such as Flash Fire or Ill Omens?

My rationale is that the Voidmaster cannot Aim before he performs a Ballistic Skill action shooting the ship guns, nor can the Explorator roll Logic prior to Aiding the Machine Spirit, so why should the Astropath be allowed to perform Invocation?

Thoughts?

I'd lean towards it not working, simply because Invocation's bonus only lasts until the next round for ground combat. Given the scale and duration of the psychic powers they use during ship combat, a brief spike in psy-rating wouldn't necessarily be of any practical use.

Thanks man,

You also replied to my last question :D

That's what I was leaning towards too, I just gotta break it to him so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to nerf his capabilities.

I spend far too much time on these boards :ph34r:

I spend far too much time on these boards :ph34r:

Time well spent, and I'm not just trying to comfort myself along with you!

I support Errant's assertions though. Especially since our Astropath has already become an impressive primary shield array for his vessel, he doesn't need any more boosts.