Quadratic force powers?

By Rakaydos, in Game Mechanics

if you have 3 force power upgrades that each say "Spend one force pip to increase range/sillouette/whatev equal to number of upgrades, can you spend multiple force pips to activate each upgrade separately? 3 range increases of 3 range bands each strts getting you into strfighter sale... which can be useful in starfighter combat.

This is how I would play it: The way I look at increasing range is Engaged-->Short-->Medium-->Long-->Extreme-->Starship Close, then you need to go Engaged-->Starship Close to get to Starship Medium, etc... So, 5 steps from Engaged to Starship Close, 5 more steps to Starship Medium, etc... So, to get Long Range at Starship scale, you'd need to activate your maxed Range Upgrades 5 times (I think), which is doable (albeit rare) on a FR 3 character.

I believe you can only activate each upgrade once unless the power explicitly says otherwise. Those are just multiple ranks of the same upgrade.

For most of the powers, you can activate the Range and Magnitude Upgrades multiple times. The only power I can think of off the top of my head with a limitation on those is Enhance, for which you may only increase the range once (no leaping football fields).

You can't activate the Strength Upgrades on Move multiple times, so the maximum Silhouette you can affect is 4.

I think that Donovan asked that question to Sam and the answer was "yes, you can add it so many times". But not 100% sure.

By the way, don't worry so much. In general therms with a Force Rating 3 you use to roll above 2-4 Pips, so don't worry about use a bunch of Star Destroyers as throwing weapons XD

Edited by Josep Maria

I think that Donovan asked that question to Sam and the answer was "yes, you can add it so many times". But not 100% sure.

By the way, don't worry so much. In general therms with a Force Rating 3 you use to roll above 2-4 Pips, so don't worry about use a bunch of Star Destroyers as throwing weapons XD

That was asked quite some time ago, and apparently F&D has addressed it with a sidebar that specifically says "unless the power or upgrade says you can activate it multiple times in the description, you can't ."

Influence's basic power spells out that it's 1 Strain per FP spent, and many Range and Magnitude Upgrades say "can be activated multiple times." The Strength Upgrades for Move don't have that language, so the best a PC can manage is to affect Silhouette 4 objects.

That was asked quite some time ago, and apparently F&D has addressed it with a sidebar that specifically says "unless the power or upgrade says you can activate it multiple times in the description, you can't ."

Influence's basic power spells out that it's 1 Strain per FP spent, and many Range and Magnitude Upgrades say "can be activated multiple times." The Strength Upgrades for Move don't have that language, so the best a PC can manage is to affect Silhouette 4 objects.

I wish they would put some kind of symbol or note on the talent trees to tell, at a glance, when they can be activated multiple times.

Playing an advanced character with multiple Force power sheets, it's tough to remember which are which, so I've started putting a note next to the ones that can be activated multiple times.