Morality and how it works with Obligation and Duty

By GM Hooly, in General Discussion

Hello All!

I have a group forming soon, some whom want to play Force Sensitives from Force & Destiny, while others want to play Edge of the Empire and Age of a Rebellion characters.

Obligation and Duty work hand in hand as they use exactly the same mechanic (eg. GM Chart). Morality however, doesn't, and I can't see how they can be used together from the perspective of these new rules (eg. GM rolls a d10 and if any of the character's "units" equal the dice then they're up for this session, whereas Duty and Obligation use a chart created by the GM).

Any thoughts how this will work or is it a case that you roll for those with Morality AND then roll for those with Duty/Obligation?

I'm a tad confused :S

Edited by MoonSwingChronicles

Duty and Obligation are 2 seperate rolls. So it makes sense that if you have all 3, you'll be making three different rolls. Once for Obligation, a second time for Duty, and a third time for Morality.

"Star Wars; Three and a Half Clones. 8pm/7Central. Hillarity ensues when Oggie-Ben-Doggie's relatives show-up unanounced while Oggie needs to save Jedi orphans from the Imperials."

The way I reccomend it is to determine what system you are actually running. Use that system's mechanic for every character. Then, decide if you want to use additional systems, and integrate them without using their XP/Credit bonuses. For instance, I am starting an Age of Rebellion RPG, so all of my players start with a duty, which they can modify as described in the core book. Then, every character wihh also gain a morality, that starts at 50, unmodifiable. This is because the force will play a pretty large role in my campaign. Finally, we are not using obligations, as the campaign will focus on the empire/rebellion struggle and their integration of jedi/sith into the fight.

As for the rolls, roll each seperately and apply the results. It's perfectly fine narratively that one player's demons in the form of his obligation are weighing heavily on him, while another is feeling the pull of the force for his morality, and they both, as well as the other players, are under the weight of their duty for that session.

The way I reccomend it is to determine what system you are actually running. Use that system's mechanic for every character.

I'll run either Obligaton and Morality or Duty and Morality, balancing what you must do with what you SHOULD do.

In Age of Rebellion (pages 342-343) it says clearly you can choose your extra Obligation or Extra Duty only once, the GM has two charts (which makes thing over complicated in my opinion) and you roll once for Duty and once for Obligation. I would imagine that the same would apply for Morality.

I guess this also means that whichever system you use, all the heroes need a rating for each system.

Hmm, this is an interesting concept and one that I am trying to figure out myself. Honestly, I like all three as they can be representative of the way Star Wars has gone. Let me put it this way:

(Note: I do not have the books on me to reference what each chart has. I also apologized for using the big three from the Original Trilogy.)

Leia: She starts off with the Duty Mechanic. Once she is caught by Vader and Tarkin, she gains the Bounty Obligation, since she is a member of the Rebellion and is one of the more important members to boot. Morality would come into play due to her being a caring person, though perhaps a bit too caring.

Luke: Luke starts off with an Obligation to family/friends. Through the time on Tatooine, he is restricted on what he can and cannot do due to this Obligation. Unfortunately for him, Luke's aunt and uncle are killed but Obi-wan Kenobi takes over the Obligation until he goes. Luke then defines his Obligation to include Leia, Han, Chewiie, and his squadron at the end of the movie. In turn, because he just destroyed the Death Star as well as being the "last" Jedi, he gains Reckless for his negative Morality.

Han: A smuggler in the beginning, Han starts off with the Obligation to Jabba the Hutt as well as the Greedy/Honorable aspects of Morality. His goal was originally to take two nerfherders and their rusting bolt buckets to Alderaan and get paid handsomely. Unfortunately, he gets dragged into the Rebellion due to having to save his own skin. He reluctantly takes a Duty with the Rebellion, mostly to keep getting paid as well as to get on the good side of a princess.

Obligation is easy, in that it is about who the players deal with and the nature of the dealings.

Duty comes from either the belief in something bigger than themselves or that they feel they can profit from a relationship.

Morality means doing what is right over what is easy/convenient. Do the players do the right thing or do they let things slide? Do they let their emotions get the better of them or do they control their impulses?

While it can be unwieldy, especially initially, one way I would regulate this is by using a D6 to decide how many charts to roll on.

1-2: Roll on one chart

3-5: Roll on two charts

6: Roll on all three

Granted, this rule will get trumped if the story is feeling like it can go different, especially if it's an arc about one or two characters.

Even then, I don't have to roll for Morality and use it like the Alignment Chart from D&D. That just be the scale by which all characters can see where they stand on the Dark/Light sides of the Force.

What do you all think?