Secrets of Yavin 4

By Conradj, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

Old question revisting.

If for example secrets of yavin 4 is out, and i want to destroy say, a hero's journey.

If i attack secrets of yavin 4, a decoy engagement, then declare a second engagement with a hero's journey, they can redirect this engagement to secrets of yavin 4.

So secrets of yavin 4 has been engaged twice. For my third engagement i can't engage either objective, right? I think i am missing something here.

Because if i engage hero's journey first as the first engagement, the opponent can redirect to secret of yavin 4. So I guess the question here is what objective was engaged?

Edited by Conradj

For my third engagement i can't engage either objective, right? I think i am missing something here.

This is correct. If The Secret of Yavin 4 is in play, IMO, one should attack it first with a rather weak attack, then attack your normal secondary target next with a moderate attack to hope to get the redirect to Yavin, and follow up with the final attack on your true primary target bring any "tricks" and heavy damage in here if the redirect was used on your second attack. Otherwise one could go after TSoY4 hard and heavy to get it off board quickly to then be able to go after your primary target as normal.

Because if i engage hero's journey first as the first engagement, the opponent can redirect to secret of yavin 4. So I guess the question here is what objective was engaged?

Per the FAQ, the line from the rulebook should be interpreted as you can only declare an engagement against each objective once. In the case of Secrets of Yavin 4, the original objective is still the one you declared the engagement against and not Secret.

Thank you, so it is a no win situation if my opponent knows i want to blow up a hero's journey. Assuming i can't blow up secrets.

Thank you, so it is a no win situation if my opponent knows i want to blow up a hero's journey. Assuming i can't blow up secrets.

Right. Secret can effectively keep a single other objective from being destroyed unless the DS can destroy it first.

The beauty of Secret is that you can start by declaring the objective you really want, and then if you're redirected, your next declaration can be Secret, effectively hitting it twice and possibly wiping it out. So, you'll either only deal with Secret for a single turn, or get your damage where you originally wanted it.

I didn't realize you could do that for so long - I'm sure I've lost many games due to that little tidbit...