Is the Morality Calculation Broken?

By Sporkley, in Game Mechanics

Maybe the bigger issue is that with this system Darth Vader couldn't have redeemed himself in one big act of self-sacrifice? I guess I'd like to somehow see intentional selflessness rewarded. I don't mind Morality as written, but I think there could be room for improvement.

*And sure, maybe my GM needs to step it up :)

Why couldn't he have? There is nothing preventing a GM from ruling that a dark side character who wipes out the dread Sith Lord in an act of self-sacrifice is redeemed. Just because it's not in a chart doesn't make it impossible.

Maybe the bigger issue is that with this system Darth Vader couldn't have redeemed himself in one big act of self-sacrifice? I guess I'd like to somehow see intentional selflessness rewarded. I don't mind Morality as written, but I think there could be room for improvement.

*And sure, maybe my GM needs to step it up :)

Well, given that Vader was already dying, I can see the GM making an exception to the normal rules in that case since Vader wasn't going to be around long enough to actually get his Morality score to over 70.

Then again, he could have been taking things much easier since ESB, resulting in a slow but gradual climb in his Morality score, since the rules cite that once you fall to the dark side, you stay there even if your Morality goes above a 30. So for all we know, he could have been really close to being redeemed already, with the GM deciding that final act of self-sacrifice being the clinch-pin in Vader's redemption arc.

Of course, authors/writers will vary as how close... :P Though the only new-canon (trilogies+TCW, since Lords of the Sith is set between the trilogies) example I recall is his sparing Piett after Cloud City, unlike the hapless Needa who was killed before Cloud City and had put himself forward to " take responsibility " for the escape of the Millenium Falcon from the Avenger (though Piett didn't have the time/space to make such a decision)... but of course that could have just been Vader being too morose/upset to actually think that he 'should' keep up appearances by acting consistently. ;)

Also given that force use by darksiders requires darkside pips... how much force did Vader use in Shadows of the Empire and Return of the Jedi? (antime after "JOIN ME AND WE WILL RULE THE GALAXY AS FATHER AND SUN!" "I'll never join you!")

Edited by Rakaydos

I agree with Doc Xerox, and I think the book can spend some time describing when, and how much, a GM should AWARD Morality points during adventures.

The only example I can find is in the sample adventure.

The Morality, and GM, sections don't seem to mention that at all.

i dont understand how you spend morality to get credits or experience points on character creation. it says you can gain 10 experience, or gain 2500 credits, or gain 5 experience and 1500 credits or just decide to drop your morality by 20 or raise it by 20.

i dont get it.

this makes more sense:

morality score: 70 spend 20 gain 5 experience and 1500 credits, spend 20 more and either gain 10 experience or 2500 credits. and i have no idea if that is the intention or not!

i dont understand how you spend morality to get credits or experience points on character creation. it says you can gain 10 experience, or gain 2500 credits, or gain 5 experience and 1500 credits or just decide to drop your morality by 20 or raise it by 20.

i dont get it.

this makes more sense:

morality score: 70 spend 20 gain 5 experience and 1500 credits, spend 20 more and either gain 10 experience or 2500 credits. and i have no idea if that is the intention or not!

Because if someone wants to play a Dark Sider, you're rewarding them for that choice by giving them 10xp or 2,500 credits AND making it near certain that they will be a Dark Sider by the end of the first session the moment they kill a helpless, defeated opponent or two.

That's what this method avoids. XP, Credits, Less Xp and Credits, or being on the cusp of your Morality goal.

I think that's going to be the biggest hurdle for players and GMs coming over from EotE or AoR, is that unlike those games, the player doesn't "spend" Morality to gain additional starting benefits. Instead, a PC using the Morality system is simply handed the added starting perk of their choice, rather than having to take extra Obligation (EotE) or reduce their Duty (AoR).

Also given that force use by darksiders requires darkside pips... how much force did Vader use in Shadows of the Empire and Return of the Jedi? (antime after "JOIN ME AND WE WILL RULE THE GALAXY AS FATHER AND SUN!" "I'll never join you!")

Funny thing is, I can't remember anything he did in between other than send the Executor to Coruscant under the casus belli of Xizor trying to assassinate Luke Skywalker. As for Return of the Jedi ... up until the duel aboard the Death Star, I can't remember any Force use other than perhaps Sense to keep track of Luke on Endor, and he probably didn't even need to use Coercion against Moff Jerjerrod -- just the truth (" you feel like talking shavit because you're technically in charge of the Death Star, huh? Well then, feel like doing it to the Emperor too? ").