More Divinations?

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I really enjoy the upgraded divinations, but personally I've never felt there are enough. I'd like 100, maybe because I'm greedy.

I can rename most of the ones from DH1 and change any effects that are too similar to divinations that exist in DH2, but that still won't fill up al 100.

Does anyone know of an expanded Divinations table? Also more Divination text to use for said table? I could always use Thoughts of the Day as well there's a large list of those around.

Thoughts? Concerns? Does adding more divinations somehow break character creation?

I'd be surprised if it broke character creation and it would add some more variety, both of the players I've had roll up their characters so far got the same divination (If a job is worth doing it is worth dying for). If you can get your hands on a third/forth edition 40k rulebook or the inqusitor rulebook or something like that the divination text could be ripped from just left of the page number on many pages.

At one point I was working on coming up with Divinations using the actual Tarot Deck; a positive/strength and negative/weakness meaning to each card, with players drawing a strength and weakness card at character creation. It just got a little more complicated than I originally intended and shelved the idea.

-=Brother Praetus=-

At one point I was working on coming up with Divinations using the actual Tarot Deck; a positive/strength and negative/weakness meaning to each card, with players drawing a strength and weakness card at character creation. It just got a little more complicated than I originally intended and shelved the idea.

-=Brother Praetus=-

7th Sea is a game that does this. It's out of print but easy to find online if anyone feels like adapting it to 40k.

-=Brother Praetus=-

7th Sea is a game that does this. It's out of print but easy to find online if anyone feels like adapting it to 40k.

I have a few friends with the game, so I'll have to look at that.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I'm working here and there on an expanded Divinations list. I'll post it when I'm done...sometime.

I'm working here and there on an expanded Divinations list. I'll post it when I'm done...sometime.

By all means, post it even if it's unfinished and we can all add to it and help you, unless you specifically want to do it yourself.

I would personally love a d100 Divination/Emperor's Tarot table for use in my own unified ruleset.

I plan on getting a rough draft of all 100 with effects that I personally thought up hopefully by the weekend's end (here meaning "soon" tm) I'll post it here to get thoughts and opinions on the effects that I came up with and suggestions for replacements as well.

Alright, this will be a very long post so apologies first and foremost. Here's the rough draft of my expanded Divinations table for Dark Heresy 2nd edition. Feel free to comment, and suggest replacement effects.

Expanded Divination Table: Replace Table 2-9

Yeah it doesn't want to play ball with any of the things I'm trying to do to get a table to stay there. It'll copy over, but when I post it, or save the changes in this case, it just reverts back to what it was.

D100 Roll

Prophecy

Effect

The mutant bears his heresy on the outside, and the traitor hides it in his soul.

Roll once on Table 8-16: Mutations (see page 291) and apply the result.

Mutation without, corruption within.

Roll once on Table 8-15: Malignancies (see page 290) and apply the result.

Sins hidden in the heart turn all to decay.

Increase this character’s Corruption points by 3, and when this character gains a Malignancy he may choose a Malignancy with no physical manifestation. (GM’s final approval allowed.)

Knowledge is power; hide it well.

Increase this character’s Intelligence or Fellowship by 3. Reduce his Agility or Strength characteristic by 3.

It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

If this character reduces his Fate Threshold to survive death they may stay conscious until the end of their turn.

Trust in your fear.

Increase this character’s Perception by 5. He also gains the Phobia Mental Disorder (see page 288).

Humans must die so that humanity can endure.

This character gains the Jaded talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his Willpower characteristic by 2 instead.

The lot of courage is to be sanctified upon the altar of battle.

This character gains the Frenzy talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his Toughness characteristic by 2 instead.

A coward always seeks compromise.

Increase this character’s Strength or Willpower characteristic by 3. Reduce this character’s Fellowship or Intelligence by 3.

Faith without deed is worthless.

Reduce this character’s Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill Characteristic by 3. The first time this character spends a fate point to reroll a test each session, roll 1d10. On a result of 10 the fate point is not expended.

The Dark Gods laugh at the foolishness of meek appeasers.

Roll once on Table 8-15: Malignancies (see page 290) and apply the first result that gives a physically noticeable Malignancy.

The pain of the bullet is ecstasy compared to damnation.

Reduce this character’s Agility characteristic by 3. The first time this character suffers Critical damage each session, roll 1d10. On a result of 10 he does not suffer any Critical Effects, though the damage still counts as Critical damage.

Inspiration grows from the barrel of a gun.

Reduce this character’s Weapon Skill characteristic by 3. When this character Successfully kills an enemy with a ballistic weapon he gains a +10 to his next skill test.

Only the lost understand true terror.

Increase this character’s Insanity points by 5. This character treats only enemies with Fear (2) as Fear (1).

The mighty have no room for doubt.

Increase this character’s Strength or Toughness characteristic by 3. Reduce this character’s Intelligence or Willpower by 3.

Be a boon to your allies and the bane of your enemies.

This character gains the Hatred (choose any one) talent. If he already possessed this talent, increase his Strength characteristic by 2 instead.

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

If this character survives a battle victoriously (GM’s discretion) he gains a +10 to his Fellowship for the purposes of interaction skills for 1d5 hours after the battle is over.

Carry the Emperor’s Will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Increase this character’s Willpower characteristic by 2. Additionally he may reroll a single missed attack while suffering from the Darkness modifier once per combat scenario.

The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Imperium.

Increase this character’s Toughness by 2. Additionally the first time he would suffer from Blood Loss each session he may reroll the Difficult (-10) Medicae test to remove the condition.

The wise learn from the deaths of others.

Increase this character’s Agility or Intelligence Characteristic by 3. Reduce his Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill characteristic by 3.

Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind.

Increase this character’s Toughness by 2. Additionally the first time he would suffer from the effects of Fear each session he may reroll the Willpower test to resist it.

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

This character gains the Deny the Witch talent. If he already possesses this talent increase his Willpower by 2 instead.

The only rewards for treachery are vengeance and retribution.

This character gains the Hatred (Chaos Space Marine Legions) talent. If this character already possesses this talent then increase his Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill characteristic by 2

Kill the alien before it can speak its lies.

This character gains the Quick Draw talent. If he already possesses this talent increase his Agility characteristic by 2 instead.

To withdraw in disgust is not cowardice.

When this character uses the Withdraw action enemies take a (-10) to attacks against him.

Vengeance is yours.

Reduce this character’s Fellowship by 3. The first time he is successfully damaged by an enemy he gains a +10 on his next attack only if this attack is against the enemy that damaged him.

Know the Mutant; Kill the Mutant.

This character gains the Hatred (Mutant) talent. If he already possessed this talent, increase his Weapon skill or Ballistic skill by 2.

Better crippled in body than corrupted in mind.

The first time each session this character suffers critical damage severe enough to remove the use of a limb he may remove 1 Corruption point (down to the nearest value divisible by 10).

Truth is subjective.

Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 3. The First time he would gain 1 or more Corruption points each session, he gains that amount plus 1 instead.

No barrier, no enemy will thwart humanities purpose.

When firing upon an enemy in cover, this character may choose either his base roll, or the reverse when calculating the location of the hit.

Harden your soul against decadence.

Increase this character’s Willpower by 2. When using drugs and consumables this character makes addition rolls every 12 hours instead of 24 hours.

Thought begets Heresy.

Reduce this character’s Intelligence characteristic by 3. The first time he would gain 1 or more Corruption points each session, he reduces that amount by 1 (to a minimum of 0) instead.

A narrow view sees better.

This character gains the Marksman talent. If this character already possesses this talent he increases his Ballistic Skill characteristic by 2.

Be strong in your ignorance.

Increase this character’s Willpower characteristic by 5. This character treats all Lore skill tests as one degree more challenging.

While obscene heretic’s hearts still beat, there can be no respite.

The first time a session this character suffers critical damage from a heretical threat (GM discretion) He may ignore this fatigue. He still takes any other effects described in the Critical Damage’s effects.

Heresy begets Retribution.

Increase this character’s Fellowship or Strength characteristic by 3. Reduce his Toughness or Willpower characteristic by 3.

Be bloody, bold, and resolute.

The first time a session this character inflicts critical damage against an enemy to cause them blood loss he gains a +10 to Willpower tests for the rest of the encounter.

My armor is contempt.

This character gains the Trade (Armorer) skill at rank 0 (known). If he already possesses this skill increase his Intelligence by 2.

The keenest blade is righteous hatred.

This character gains the Devastating Assault talent. If he already possesses this talent increase his Weapon Skill characteristic by 2.

By the manner of their death we shall know them.

The first time a session when a character inspects a corpse he gains a +10 to his Intelligence characteristic for the purposes of determining information about the body.

A mind without purpose wanders in dark places.

When gaining Mental Disorders (see page 287), the character may choose to gain a new Disorder instead of increasing the severity of an existing Disorder.

Peace is Hell.

If this character is involved in a combat encounter due to a failed interaction test his first attack is given a +10 bonus.

Every lone spirit doubts his strength.

When this character is assisted by another in an action requiring the Strength characteristic. He gains a further (+10) modifier to the test.

Never forget, never forgive.

This character gains the Enemy (GM’s choice) talent. He also gains the Hatred talent for the same faction.

If a job is worth doing, it is worth dying for.

Increase this character’s Toughness or Willpower characteristic by 3. Reduce his Fellowship or Strength characteristic by 3.

The brave never die, the coward never lives.

When this character flees from combat attacks against him garner a (+10) bonus. Increase this character’s Toughness by 2.

Only through war may the Emperor’s Will be spread.

This character gains the Common Lore (War) skill as known rank 0. If this character already possesses this skill increase his Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill characteristic by 2.

Better a thousand innocents die, than a single heretic live.

If this character suffers Shock from the blood and gore of known innocents he gains a (+10) to his Willpower characteristic test.

There are no civilians in the battle for survival.

This character gains the Constant Vigilance talent. If the character already possesses this talent he increases his Perception characteristic by 2.

Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush.

This character gains the Double Team talent. If the character already possesses this talent he increases his Weapon Skill characteristic by 2.

Think not what the Emperor can do for you, only what you can do for Him.

This character gains the Common Lore (Imperium) skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already possesses this kill increase his Intelligence characteristic by 2.

To stand for nothing is to fall to everything.

This character gains the Leap Up talent. If this character already has this talent then increase his Agility characteristic by 2.

Dark dreams lie upon the heart.

Whenever this character would roll on Table 8-15: Malignancies (see page 290), he may instead select any one result and gain that Malignancy.

The blood of Humanity oils the cogs of the Imperium.

This character gains the Tech Use Skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already possesses this skill increase his Intelligence characteristic by 2.

Violence solves everything.

Increase this character’s Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill characteristic by 3. Reduce his Agility or Intelligence characteristic by 3.

Fear begets doubt, doubt begets heresy.

When this character would gain insanity points from a failed Fear test, he also gains 1 Corruption point.

The Emperor cannot do without a weapon.

The character gains the Weapon Training talent (Las, Low-tech, or Solid Projectile). If this character possesses all three talents increase his Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill characteristic by 2.

Die if you must, but not with your spirit broken.

This character gains the Die Hard talent. If this character already possesses this talent then increase his Willpower by 2.

Judge others as the Emperor judges you.

This character learns the Scrutiny skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already possesses this skill increase his Perception characteristic by 2.

Heresy can never die, but may lie dormant for eternity.

The character gains the Forbidden Lore (Heresy) skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already possesses this skill then increase his Intelligence by 2.

61-63

Ignorance is a wisdom of its own.

Reduce this character’s Perception characteristic by 3. The first time he would gain 1 or more Insanity points each session, he reduces that amount by 1 (to a minimum of 0) instead.

The forces of Humanity will always stand united, the forces of the Archenemy can only stand divided.

When this character spends a Fate Point in reaction to another character he may roll a 1d10. If he rolls a 10 the effect is gained and the fate point is unspent.

Live by the sword, kill by the sword.

The character gains the Whirlwind of Death Talent. If the character already possesses this talent then increase his Weapon Skill characteristic by 2.

The gun is mightier than the sword.

The character gains the Rapid Reload talent. If the character already possesses this talent then he increases his Ballistic Skill by 2.

If you must fall let the Emperor raise you.

This character gains the Catfall talent. If he already possesses this talent then increase his Agility characteristic by 2.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Increase this character’s Willpower characteristic by 3. The first time he would gain 1 or more Insanity points each session, he gains that amount plus 1 instead.

Only those who prosper may judge what is sane.

Increase this character’s Insanity points by 2, and increase this character’s Willpower by 1.

Those who increase their knowledge increase their sorrow.

Increase this character’s Corruption or Insanity points by 3. This character gains a Forbidden Lore skill at rank 0 (known) of his choice.

An ocean of courage is not equal to a drop of faith.

If this character has not expended Fate Points this, or burned Fate Threshold to survive death, he may reroll a single Willpower test during the session.

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind.

Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

The true price of victory is measured by the sacrifice given for it.

Increase this character’s Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill characteristic by 3. Reduce this character’s Toughness or Agility characteristic by 3.

In the darkness, follow the light of Terra.

The character gains the Blind Fighting talent. If he already possesses this talent increase his Willpower or Perception by 2.

Heavy is the hand that brings the end of one’s enemy.

This character gains the Ambidextrous talent. If this character already possesses this talent then increase his Agility characteristic by 2.

Suffering is an unrelenting instructor.

Reduce this character’s Toughness characteristic by 3. The first time that this character suffers any damage each session, he gains a +20 bonus to the next test he makes before the end of his next turn.

A strong soul dwells within a sound mind and a sound body.

Increase this character’s Intelligence or Toughness characteristics by 3. Reduce this character’s Agility or Willpower by 3.

The only true fear is dying without your duty done.

This character gains the Resistance (Cold, Heat, or Fear) talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his toughness characteristic by 2 instead.

The enemy cares not for who has the authority to stop them, only those with the power.

The character gains the Command skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already has this skill increase his Fellowship by 2.

To destroy the future, one merely must forget their past.

The character gains the Scholastic Lore (Legend) skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already possesses this skill increase his intelligence by 2.

Ignorance knows no bounds, hubris acknowledges none.

The first time a session this character fails a lore roll for which he has a skill rank in he may ignore 1 Degree of Failure.

Only in death does duty end.

The first time this character would suffer Fatigue each session, he suffers that amount of Fatigue minus 1 (to a minimum of 0) instead.

Do not embrace death freely, your purpose is greater.

The first time a session a character spends a fate point to reroll a failed Dodge attempt he gains a +10 to the roll.

To seek praise is to show your worthlessness.

This character gains the Stealth skill at rank 0 (known). If this character already has this skill then increase his Agility characteristic by 2.

Live freely with the Emperor, die well and earn a place at his side.

Increase this character’s Fellowship by 3. When this character is interacting with a person of authority he takes a -10 to his interaction tests.

Innocence is an illusion.

This character gains the Keen Intuition talent. If he already possesses this talent increase his Intelligence characteristic by 2 instead.

The only mercy one may afford a heretic is a swift death.

This character gains the Nowhere to Hide talent. If this character already has this talent then increase his Perception characteristic by 2.

Your life is finite; never waste the time the Emperor has allotted you.

Increase this character’s Agility or Perception characteristic by 3. Reduce this character’s Toughness or Intelligence by 3.

To await victory is to earn defeat.

Reduce this character’s Toughness by 3. When this character takes a Run action Ballistic Skill actions against him take -30, and Weapon Skill actions against him gain +30.

To war is human.

This character gains the Dodge skill as a Known skill (rank 1). If he already possesses this skill, increase his Agility characteristic by 2 instead.

Willingly or unwillingly, all eventually serve.

Increase this character’s Agility or Willpower characteristic by 3. Reduce this character’s Toughness or Fellowship by 3.

Wounds will heal, glory is forever.

This character gains the Peer (GM’s discretion) talent. Reduce this character’s Toughness characteristic by 2.

Life without the Emperor is sound and fury signifying nothing.

Increase this character’s Fellowship or Willpower by 3. Reduce this character’s Strength or Intelligence by 3.

There is no substitute for zeal.

This character gains the Clues from the Crowds talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his Fellowship characteristic by 2 instead.

Take action against your enemies today, lest they destroy you tomorrow.

Reduce this character’s Agility characteristic by 3. If this character is part of the initiation of a Surprise action then he receives a +10 to a single role in the Surprise round.

Honor the fallen by carrying on their fight.

If this character is witness to a fellow player’s death (excluding situations where the character burns Fate Threshold to survive) he may take the Hatred talent of whatever killed that character as if it were a tier 1 talent.

Let the Emperor’s hand guide your righteous fury.

The first time a session when this character commits Righteous Fury and rolls a 1d5 for the Critical damage effect he may reroll a result of 1, but must take the result if the reroll is 1.

Even one who has nothing can still offer his life.

When this character burns Fate threshold to survive a lethal injury, roll 1d10. On a result of 10, he survives whatever grievous wound would have killed him but does not reduce his Fate threshold.

In only death you may atonement be given.

When this character burns Fate threshold to survive a lethal injury he removes 1d5+FT (new Fate Threshold) from his Corruption and Insanity points down to the nearest number divisible by 10.

There is no fate, but that which the Emperor decides.

This player rolls twice on the Divination Table. Should they roll 98 reroll that individual roll. From these two separate rolls the player may choose a divination.

Look to the Emperor, and He will provide.

This character may roll a second Emperor’s Blessing roll. This is Emperor’s Blessing is 10+.

Do not ask why you serve. Only ask how.

Increase this character’s Fate threshold by 1.

Edited by ThenDoctor

Might one ask for a proper table?

If you can't do it, I'll do it tomorrow and whip something simple up in Excel.

Might one ask for a proper table?

If you can't do it, I'll do it tomorrow and whip something simple up in Excel.

I put it Here (Its in the same spreadsheet that I have some DH1 stuff I'm building).

ThenDoctor this is amazing and congratulations for making this.