Force Points

By Castlecruncher, in General Discussion

So, in the book, we see the mix Light and Dark Side points used to represent that a power can use either Light or Dark Side points. However, this is in all of the powers, despite some powers not basing on one or the other. The powers are Heal/Harm and Unleash. Heal is Light Side based, and Harm and Unleash are Dark Side based, meaning they should only be activated by that Side.

Thoughts?

I think the Morality feature handles that. That is why every activation of unleash is 1 conflict + the upgrades are additional.

In the EU Luke does learn to wield Force Lightning, but it is part of his exploration of the Dark Side. It is "activated" via anger. But being truly centered in the force you can recover from the draw.

So conflict points for "dark" powers works out pretty well.

There are also bonuses through Control upgrades that require use of only one side or the other. So you can tap the dark side to heal someone, but it will work differently than purely the light.

I think the Morality feature handles that. That is why every activation of unleash is 1 conflict + the upgrades are additional.

In the EU Luke does learn to wield Force Lightning, but it is part of his exploration of the Dark Side. It is "activated" via anger. But being truly centered in the force you can recover from the draw.

So conflict points for "dark" powers works out pretty well.

I know, but I was thinking more in terms of making it rely more on the Dark Side than what we are given. This way, you have to use the Dark Side, which automatically generates 1 Conflict, and then also gin an extra Conflict for the power in itself.

There are also bonuses through Control upgrades that require use of only one side or the other. So you can tap the dark side to heal someone, but it will work differently than purely the light.

I haven't been able to read the description for it fully yet (so many powers!), so I didn't notice that. However, from what I can remember off the top of my head, it's more of a "You get a boost" when you use the proper side, not a requirement. Seeing as Harm would be done out of negative emotion, and Heal would be done from positive emotion, it would make sense to me for them to require the corresponding Force Point. In the fan made supplement Ways of the Force, it follows by this same idea, which I thought was kind of nifty.

If others believe its fine as is, then I'll just use it in my own game as a house rule.

The way some of the powers and their upgrades work is that if you don't use ANY Force points of the opposite alignment, you get X effect. So, for example, if you want to use the Control Upgrade to Heal/Harm that recovers strain, you can only have someone else recover strain if you spent ZERO dark side points on the power, and you can only recover your own strain if you spent ZERO light side points on the power.

That said, it's unclear to me whether Heal can be used on yourself or not.