Shield of Saphery

By CHAOS i AM, in Warhammer: Diskwars

The situation...

A High Elf disk, with the Shield of Saphery token, is pinned by two Orc disks.

In the Melee Phase:

A) Does the Elf player roll once for Shield of Saphery, against the combined attack value of the two Orc disks?

OR

B) Does the Elf player roll twice for Shield of Saphery; once against each of the Orc disks?

Thanks

The situation...

In the Melee Phase:

A) Does the Elf player roll once for Shield of Saphery, against the combined attack value of the two Orc disks?

OR

B) Does the Elf player roll twice for Shield of Saphery; once against each of the Orc disks?

Thanks

Actually, you roll once when the card was played, just after you declare the target, and not during the melee phase at all. After that, the target receives that much protection every single time it is attacked in any phase, and no additional rolls are necessary.

To answer your specific example, if neither of the pinning disks has swift or slow, the attack is simultaneous, and the shield takes effect only once against their combined value using its previously established resistance value. At different speeds, it would reduce the damage each time, again using the d6 result rolled when the command card was played and a target was declared.

*Edit: Nobody else seems to do it this way, so it seems likely that I am incorrect. See post below for my explanation of why I have done it this way in the past.

Edited by Jedhead

Actually, you roll once when the card was played, just after you declare the target, and not during the melee phase at all. After that, the target receives that much protection every single time it is attacked in any phase, and no additional rolls are necessary.

Thanks Jedhead.

I also interpreted the result to be one roll vs. the combined attack value, but my opponent questioned it. However, i don't agree with your interpretation of when SoS comes into effect as quoted above. I would be interested to know if you can point me in the direction of any official information (publisher/creator) to support that.

Thanks.

Also, your response made me realize that i should have clarified that all three disks were attacking/defending simultaneously. Swift, Slow, etc. were not factors.

It has to do with the way the card is worded. Here is my interpretation:

The effect says that each time the target would take damage, reduce the damage by d6 -1. This means that the damage reduction is a single constant number (the result of the d6 -1 roll), which is applied consistently until the end of the round. If it were a new roll for each instance of damage, the card would say: each time this unit takes damage, roll a d6. The damage is reduced by d6 -1.

Similar abilities such as Fulminating Cage help to illustrate the difference. FC specifies a new d-6 roll for each flip, with new random damage application occurring upon each new roll. Similarly, the shield of faith also specifies a new d-6 roll for each instance rather than a blanket result for the round.

Anyone else have input on this topic?

I could totally see this going either way, and am perfectly willing to believe that I am incorrect (in fact, I think I am incorrect, but wanted to show why we played it this way).

Edited by Jedhead

So as mentioned above, I am open to rolling anew for each instance of damage, and I actually think that makes more sense even if the wording is ambiguous. But does the target then need to stay withing medium range of the caster at all times?

I don't have access to my game till tonight to do comparisons like you did...which is always an excellent idea...so i'll have to look further into it tonight.

As it stands, consideringbonly SoS, i interpret it that:

1) Before the end of the turn when the card is revealed, the player will nominate a disk within medium range of an Elf Caster to recieve the benefit of SoS and place a token on that disk.

2) The disk that recieved SoS now benefits from it's effect no matter where it is on the battlefield. It no longer needs to be within medium range of the Caster.

3) Any subsequent damage dealt against the disk with SoS will trigger the effect. So...each attack that causes damage will generate a dice roll to offset that damage.

Edited by CHAOS i AM

Okay...Googled an image of Fulminating Cage. I think FC specifies "each flip" to distinguish between two effects that are occuring.

Fisrtly...when the player playing FC declares a Taget, that target immediately takes d6-2 arcane damage.

Secondly...if the disk affected by FC subsequently flips, it will suffer a further d6-2 arcane damage for each flip.

So, in my mind FC and SoS read the same. When the condition is met, roll the dice.

FC - condition: disk flips - result: roll dice

SoS - condition: take damge - result: roll dice

Agreed. I have sent in for rules clarification, by the way. I will post the response when I have it.

I have sent in for rules clarification...

How do you do that? I would have done that in the first place! lol ;)

Edited by CHAOS i AM

On the home page, mouse over "more," then "customer service," and select rules questions and go from there.

I try not to pester them too often, though, and usually check on the forums first like you did as the answer is usually simple.

Well, simple unless you ask someone like me who has no idea what he is talking about...

Rules are simple, everytime you got damaged you roll on SoS, there is no single roll during the cast step.

SoS has a triggered effect so you definitely roll a dice each time the disk takes damage.

Here is the official response...just received it today:

Thanks for the question. Sorry for the delay in a response.

You roll a new d6 each time the disk takes damage.The Shield of Saphery is placed on a target disk that is within medium range of the caster and it only affects the disk targeted. It can be used on the caster, as a disk is always within range of itself, but never applies to more than one disk.

The situation...

In the Melee Phase:

OR

Thanks

The new FAQ not help us to understand the question:

The damage reduction from Shield of Saphery occurs before any damage is halved due to resistance. The damage reduction from Shield of Saphery is rolled once for each source of damage. ( Attacks from multiple disks are a single source ).

the sentence above is not clear to us. Reading this I will say A) is correct

may you help us please?

thanks

A is correct unless the orcs are attacking at different speeds (if one is swift, for example). If the attacks occur at different speeds, it is rolled for each orc.