Double bladed saber

By khaine1969, in Proofreading Changes

The description text of the double bladed saber says" all attachments (including crystals) cost double" so the cost of the basic double lightsaber should be 18600 (600 for hilt plus 2 basic illum crystals at 9000 each) not 10200 as listed. This makes the double saber totally overpriced for what it provides, so it should either have more mechanical benefits (like defensive 1 maybe) or the note about the price should be changed.

T

I'd say an easier fix would be to change the price increase to be less than double (maybe 50%), at least where the crystals are concerned. Linked 1 is already a pretty nice benefit, especially if you install some of the higher-damage crystals like the Mephite and Krayt Dragon Pearl.

As for the base cost listed, that's a double-bladed lightsaber with the work done for you already, so it not following the rules of buying and installing your own attachments in regards to cost is fine.

I say leave it as is. The blade is deadly as sin with linked1. THe cost reflects that. Otherwise every wanabeepadawan and thier mother will be walking around with duals.

I say leave it as is. The blade is deadly as sin with linked1. THe cost reflects that. Otherwise every wanabeepadawan and thier mother will be walking around with duals.

I agree with this. In which case the text needs to reflect the correct price. With the current printed cost the both crystals are only costing 54% the standard price. No matter what way FF decides to go the price doesn't match the description.

Well, technically the training lightsaber doesn't match what the price should be either, as the two components each cost 300 credits but the assembled training lightsaber is only 400 credits, which per Sam Stewart during his guest appearance on the most recent O66 podcast was a deliberate design choice so that a PC could technically start play with a lightsaber, and that it'd be a simple matter to remove the training emitter once an actual lightsaber crystal was obtained.

Besides, any crystals would simply have to be full price, doubled. One for each end, period. You could maybe fudge the hilt to 150% price instead of 200%.

I think a double cost lightsaber makes perfect sense. Basically taking two lightsabers and putting them together (costing a HP) in order to get Linked 1 instead of having to duel wield. Up the price, make it expensive!

I must confess that I haven't read the beta rules, but I sure hope there is a reason why 99.9% (in the movies) of the Jedi/Sith use a single lightsaber (most of the time used with both hands). I loved Darth Mauls and his double-bladed lightsaber (the only really good thing in that movie? ;) ), but there must be a reason why Yoda, Luke, Duko, Mace, Vader, Obi-Wan and the Emperor used a single "two-hander". I dont think neither of them had any concerns about the price if a double-blade og dual wielding was superior to wielding a single lightsaber.

Of cause wielding a doubleblade (or dualwield) should give some other options, but also have some drawbacks.

Perhaps that is already covered in the rules? I hope so.

Good gaming! :)

The description text of the double bladed saber says" all attachments (including crystals) cost double" so the cost of the basic double lightsaber should be 18600 (600 for hilt plus 2 basic illum crystals at 9000 each) not 10200 as listed. This makes the double saber totally overpriced for what it provides, so it should either have more mechanical benefits (like defensive 1 maybe) or the note about the price should be changed.

T

What?

You're arguing that because the list price is lower than a custom built Doublesaber it the listed Saber should get something extra?

Even if you're arguing that the custom Doublesaber should get something extra you're off base. It's the same cost as wielding two Sabers, without the hassle of Two Weapon Combat (one greater difficulty, needing 2A instead of 1).

It's probably a stylistic choice to use a single-bladed lightsaber over any other variety.

Remember that the Jedi Knights in the films and other lore are not power-gamers, but an monastic order of Republic citizens that use their abilities to act as self-appointed (but Republic-approved) defenders of the peace.

A double-bladed lightsaber is generally seen as a Sith-devised weapon and one that requires extra training to properly master. Particularly by the time of the Rise of the Empire, the Jedi Order had cast aside it's more militant aspects and worked with the Republic's Judicial Department as keepers of the peace, to the point they were essentially deputized and had a measure of legal authority to uphold the Republic's laws. Drawing a lightsaber was generally held to be a "means of last resort" for a proper Jedi Knight, and a single-blade of pure energy that could slice through most sentient beings without a problem was seen as more than sufficient. That's not to say there weren't the occasional "oddballs" that preferred using twin lightsabers or even the occasional double-bladed lightsaber, but they were the exception instead of the rule.

Well, and the fact that double plabed weapons are dumb. They really inhibit the range of motion you can have with each blade, and attacking with them would be unbelievably awkward. I don't think a single "double" weapon existed in historical weapons. There were some double ended spears, where one end had a lesser head, but this was 1) so you could stick the end in the ground to set your weapon, and 2) so that you had a back up pointy end in case the first got damaged (ie, you used one end or the other... not both at the same time. No one created a double edged sword or axe, as the weighting would be dumb, and weapons just do not work that way.

Now, a two bladed lightsaber doesn't necessarily have the weighting issues, but the awkwardness of the weapon remains, and you have the added difficulty of a weapon that will kill or seriously maim you if you get it wrong when wielding it (at least normal physical weapons generally need some force behind them to be lethal, so a glancing blow on your chest when wiffing an attack is unlikely to kill you).

Now, I do not expect these things to be reflected in the rules, as it is to reflect the background, where some dunderhead clearly went "You know what would be cooler than laserswords? Two laserswords stuck end to end!" and then George Lucas agreed with him and added Darth Maul, so there has to be some justification on why you might choose it, but there are very good reasons why the Jedi wouldn't as a normal thing choose it. Attributing it to needing extra training for dubious little extra gain is probably best.

Now, I do not expect these things to be reflected in the rules, as it is to reflect the background, where some dunderhead clearly went "You know what would be cooler than laserswords? Two laserswords stuck end to end!" and then George Lucas agreed with him and added Darth Maul, so there has to be some justification on why you might choose it, but there are very good reasons why the Jedi wouldn't as a normal thing choose it. Attributing it to needing extra training for dubious little extra gain is probably best.

That's reflected in its Unwieldy 2, which requires Agility 2 to use without increasing the difficulty by 1 (since you can't go lower than Agility 1).

The more general danger of lightsabers to a user isn't really included in the book in general, but I've toyed with the ideas of massive amounts of threats/a despair or two landing a self-critical on the player.

I don't think a single "double" weapon existed in historical weapons.

You sir are obviously not a scholar of historical Asian martial weaponry...

I give you the Monk's Spade:

1565_large.jpg

Now, I do not expect these things to be reflected in the rules, as it is to reflect the background, where some dunderhead clearly went "You know what would be cooler than laserswords? Two laserswords stuck end to end!" and then George Lucas agreed with him and added Darth Maul...

I hate to break it to you... but it was a comic book writer that invented the Double Lasersword, like 4 years before Prequel 1.

Also it's meant to be wielded with a tight grip for a jo or bo staff, which is why Ray Parks (martial artist and stunt man) was hired to portray (and help design the fight choreography for) Darth Maul.

Oh, I know it existed before. That is why I said "George Lucas agreed with him and added Darth Maul" rather than "George Lucas created them". However, before the prequels, double bladed weapons were an obscure small thing in the EU lore. After that they seemed to proliferate.

As for comparing it to a staff: Yes, I know it is meant to be a bit like that, but a staff can be held at various places all along the staff. A double bladed lightsaber can only be held at the middle of staff, which leads to very limited range of movement and stances, particularly if you want to be safe.

Oh, I know it existed before. That is why I said "George Lucas agreed with him and added Darth Maul" rather than "George Lucas created them". However, before the prequels, double bladed weapons were an obscure small thing in the EU lore. After that they seemed to proliferate.

As for comparing it to a staff: Yes, I know it is meant to be a bit like that, but a staff can be held at various places all along the staff. A double bladed lightsaber can only be held at the middle of staff, which leads to very limited range of movement and stances, particularly if you want to be safe.

Actually, I remember hearing that Ray Park was having some initial difficulty in adapting the staff-fighting techniques that he knew and was using to the shortened grip of the saberstaff, and even in the final cut there's supposedly some very brief instances where you can see him holding onto what would be the rotoscoped lightsaber blade just above the hilt during the fight scenes.

Dreaded Double Post.

Edited by evileeyore

Actually, I remember hearing that Ray Park was having some initial difficulty in adapting the staff-fighting techniques that he knew and was using to the shortened grip of the saberstaff, and even in the final cut there's supposedly some very brief instances where you can see him holding onto what would be the rotoscoped lightsaber blade just above the hilt during the fight scenes.

Saw some staff-fighting on the Meadows yesterday. None of the moves they tried would have been possible with the double ended lightsaber...