Lightsaber forms review

By JP_JP, in General Discussion

My question...

Would it make more sense for all the Lightsaber Forms Specializations be Universal Force User Specializations instead of directly tied to specific careers?

I apologize if this has already been debated and I thought I'd ask just to see what everybody else thinks.

From what I read the Aggressor gets both Reflect and Saber Throw, which as I understand it are both Lightsaber-only talents(?)

My initial thought is to swap Reflect with Parry - or as was suggested, let Reflect be used with melee weapons too (at least those with the cortosis quality).

Same thing with Saber Throw, let it be used with melee weapons too instead of only Lightsabers. It's a force ability, so I'd think it could work with a vibrosword as well. No? If not, then swap it for something else.

My question...

Would it make more sense for all the Lightsaber Forms Specializations be Universal Force User Specializations instead of directly tied to specific careers?

I apologize if this has already been debated and I thought I'd ask just to see what everybody else thinks.

It's not been brought up, but I think making them all Universal specs makes them far too appealing for purposes of picking them up as additional specializations, since a character wouldn't be paying the extra 10 XP for buying a non-career spec that they'd currently have to pay. It also might entice characters with zero interest in being Force users to dip into some of them simply to pick up ranks in Parry, with Soresu Defender being able to grab 3 ranks without needing to cross over a single Force-sensitive talent while Shii-Cho Knight (in its current form at least) can do much the same while providing a host of other useful close-combat options with only needing to suffer moving through a single Force-sensitive talent to get to Dedication.

While on an strictly individual basis none of the LS Form specs are overwhelmingly powerful, when you start stacking them (particularly the ranks in Parry and Reflect) they become increasingly potent in combat due to the ability to negate larger and larger amounts of damage. Combining Shii-Cho Knight (Second Wind talents) benefits just about any of the other Forms, since it offers a means of quick strain recovery in the midst of combat. And Niman Disciple offers the Force Rating talent, making it rather attractive as well for characters that want to be pros with a lightsaber and using the Force.

As an alternate idea (that probably adds more complexity than it is worth) what if your first lightsaber form counted as a career spec but any future ones get the 10XP cross-career tax?

Or probably a more elegant way to say it is that all of them are cross-class with your first having a 10 XP discount.

Edited by Rossbert

As an alternate idea (that probably adds more complexity than it is worth) what if your first lightsaber form counted as a career spec but any future ones get the 10XP cross-career tax?

Or probably a more elegant way to say it is that all of them are cross-class with your first having a 10 XP discount.

Easier and less bookkeeping to just leave them attached to a given career.

That was my thought as to why it was it was done that way as well. If I do ever get a Force and Destiny game I'm probably looking at a Starfighter Ace who eventually works his way into Ataru Striker.

Edited by Rossbert

I will admit I not biggist Star Wars nut. Reading thought talent tree for careers and noted that no tree favour PC that favour

sabrastaff or 2 ligthsabra combat?

I will admit I not biggist Star Wars nut. Reading thought talent tree for careers and noted that no tree favour PC that favour

sabrastaff or 2 ligthsabra combat?

The double saber (a saber staff) requires 2 (probably 3, but it says 2) Agility to use without a penalty. Ataru users LOVE dexderity.

The Lightsaber Pike (A staff with a saber on it) requires 3 brawn to use without penalty. Shi Cho has no alternate stats- they use the default Brawn with their lightsaber skill.

Dual wielding can be done with any style of lightsaber combat.

I thought in lore Juyo was the dual wielding combat style, since that one isn't out yet, it makes sense that none of the basic forms favor the double. If I remember the old stuff correctly, which I might not, Juyo builds on a foundation of Niman so maybe it'll appear as a signature?

You're thinking Jar'Kai. Which... maybe I'm crazy here, but it occurred to me that maybe they should make Jar'Kai a universal spec. It kind of fits in that it's more of a style of fighting than a full-on form, and it helps match the other books which al had at least 1 universal spec. Of course... If you think about it that way, maybe Shii-Cho would make the most sense as a universal spec, since it's the basis of all other lightsaber forms anyways, which could leave Juyo or Vapaad to be the Warrior's lightsaber spec (I forget which one is supposed to be based on the other)...Or...maybe don't do any of those things, because that might be pretty complicated, actually.

My bad, at least I got the J part right. Vapaad was the one Mace Windu invented and taught to one person ever and was based on Juyo. I do like the idea of Shii-Cho being universal, but it isn't a bad thing to leave some of the more complicated or exclusive styles to a later book outlining an era when jedi, you know, exist.

My bad, at least I got the J part right. Vapaad was the one Mace Windu invented and taught to one person ever and was based on Juyo. I do like the idea of Shii-Cho being universal, but it isn't a bad thing to leave some of the more complicated or exclusive styles to a later book outlining an era when jedi, you know, exist.

Given the reliance on Holocrons, no need to wait for another era splatbook. FFG can include whatever they wish for this era. (Not complaining if they do make other era books though)

Great review. Check my video