Am I the only one who wants a Skirmish Campaign mode?

By RogueRegault, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Currently, it looks like there's two different game modes. A Descent style "Heroes vs. Overlord" campaign system, and a 1v1 tourney style skirmish mode. Personally, I'd like to see a fusion of the two to fill the gap left by Necromunda and Mordheim.

Would much rather see people doing local campaigns where they level up their Imperial or Rebel or Scum squads than see yet more obsession over tournament meta.

I'd love this (was a big Necromunda player back in the day)...

I'd wager it'd be pretty straightforward to house rule a campaign system one the rules are available.

I will agree with this statement as well. I am interested to see what their skirmish rules are for this. While the skirmish mode be limited to the included board tiles kind of like the WOTC star wars game was generally limited to maps, or will it include rules for open table? While I love Necromunda from what I am hearing the Deadzone skirmish campaign rules are a lot more modern and actually balances leveling troops verses bring up new blood. Hopefully they will include something like this.

Salcor

I also agree campaign rules for the skirmish mode would be great... I plan on making my own if nothing official is published.

that would be cool indeed. count me in :)

We may see campaigns come down the line for skirmish, but I'd imagine that the skirmish mode is intended to be a ground combat analogue to X-Wing. While I did write an "Escape from Yavin IV" campaign for X-Wing, the system itself is intended for traditional, scenario-driven play. If memory serves, they did create linked scenarios for the huge ships, but I'd be hesitant to call that a campaign.

My guess is that skirmish campaigns, as ever, will be more of an "end user" thing, rather than an official release.

Do we even have an idea of how the skirmish game will work?

The starter box is only coming with 5 rebel models and a lot more imperial models...I just want a glimpse on how the skirmish game will be implemented and supported.

Please bring the balanced, supported tournament scene.

I'd love this (was a big Necromunda player back in the day)...

I'm still a big necromunda player, however the years between games have been growing lately....

Seems like something about this game has brought a lot of necromunda players out of the woodwork....

Can I call my IA army "the scavvies"?

The starter box is only coming with 5 rebel models and a lot more imperial models...

Based on the conversations that I've seen on this forum, I'm 62% sure that this isn't true. I think we get a lot more than 5 rebels and 5 imperials. But I don't know the exact number.

But I could be wrong. Specifically there's a 38% chance that I could be wrong.

The starter box is only coming with 5 rebel models and a lot more imperial models...

Based on the conversations that I've seen on this forum, I'm 62% sure that this isn't true. I think we get a lot more than 5 rebels and 5 imperials. But I don't know the exact number.

But I could be wrong. Specifically there's a 38% chance that I could be wrong.

5 rebel models...much more imperial modes....

6 Rebel models? You get 5 heroes plus the Luke Ally pack.

There is 6 heroes that come with the core Set (The wookie, the veteran, the exile, the commander, the smuggler and the bothan). There is also the Luke Ally pack, and if you don't mind using token until they're out in miniature form, there is Han and Chewie; maybe some more Allies.

What I wonder is if they'll start selling booster pack specifically for the skirmish mode, like some generic rebel fighters.

Yeah, I wonder if there won't be something like the Decsent monster packs that will have a bunch of generic units to beef up the skirmish game, especially for the Rebels.

I kinda want to take this conversation back to what the op was talking about.

Necromunda had a really fun campaign system where you would fight battles, but in between the battles you would buy more equipment and give your guys new skills. I agree with the OP that I'd like to see something like this where players can focus on the fun aspects of customizing your group - rather than simply which army list is the strongest to bring to tournaments right now.

Well of course we are only seeing information on the base box set. I am sure that IA, like Descent will be made up of regular box expansions. So we will probably see more characters, like in Descent. Perhaps we will see friendly squads (something that I am pretty sure isn't in descent). But friendly squads would make sense in star wars, especially if we has a skirmish option as well. But we just have to be patient and see.

Salcor

a mordhiem style game would be awesome i was going to try and home brew a version using AOR but if FFG did it for us that would be awesome

a mordhiem style game would be awesome i was going to try and home brew a version using AOR but if FFG did it for us that would be awesome

ahh I never really played mordhiem but I heard good things. Can you tell me how campaigns in mordheim differ from campaigns in nercromunda? In necromunda you get experience for guys in your gang who survive. Once you hit a new tier of experience, you can get new skills or stat increases. Also, between fights you can buy new equipment and recruit new gang members.

Never played necromunda, Mordhiem you hire a crew off of a starting cash pool. Then you get to buy equip and upgrades, and they can level up at the end of a play session its actually pretty slick. I think you can find the core rulebook on line for free now a days. check it out think it would be something to look into. Then again in descent you can level your heroes dont know how that would translate into a skirmish style game though