A question on Gloomhaunt Attacks post-grapple

By pearldrum1, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I posted this in another thread, but it did not directly have to do with the original topic. So, I am going to try again.

Regarding the Gloomhaunt in particular - if I am reading the "Cranial Clasp" ability correctly the Gloomhaunt (who has just succeeded on its opposed silent move and subsequent charge attack thus grappling a PC) will deal 1d10+2 damage every round the grapple is maintained, right? I essentially don't have to roll anything other than opposed str tests each round and then roll and apply the damage, yes?

You're correct.

The Gloomhaunt has a couple of other oddities, though, and I don't have definite answers to those, just suggestions:

1. The Gloomhaunt counts as having a Strength Bonus of 6 for the purposes of Grapple Tests. Only Grapple Tests are Opposed Strength Tests, so Strength Bonus doesn't really enter into it.

You may wish to increase the Gloomhaunt's Strength to 61 for the purposes of Grapple Tests, as that seems to have been the intention.

2. Normally Grapple victims get twice their Armour Protection against Grapple Damage. Whether this counts against the Gloomhaunt's 1d10+2R head-munching Grapple attack is unclear.

You may wish to treat Armour Protection normally for the purposes of the Gloomhaunt's head-munch Grapple attack, as again that seems to have been the intention.

Edited by Simsum

You're correct.

The Gloomhaunt has a couple of other oddities, though, and I don't have definite answers to those, just suggestions:

1. The Gloomhaunt counts as having a Strength Bonus of 6 for the purposes of Grapple Tests. Only Grapple Tests are Opposed Strength Tests, so Strength Bonus doesn't really enter into it.

You may wish to increase the Gloomhaunt's Strength to 61 for the purposes of Grapple Tests, as that seems to have been the intention.

2. Normally Grapple victims get twice their Armour Protection against Grapple Damage. Whether this counts against the Gloomhaunt's 1d10+2R head-munching Grapple attack is unclear.

You may wish to treat Armour Protection normally for the purposes of the Gloomhaunt's head-munch Grapple attack, as again that seems to have been the intention.

1. Yeah, I was wondering about that as well and all I could come up with is if the PC and the Gloomhaunt both succeeded in their Str tests with the same DoS - in that case the PC with the higher Str score/bonus would win.

2. I would say no, but I can't articulate a very good reason as to why. I am with you. I believe the intention was not to have grapple victim's armor double. So, I have thus far treated it as normal and will continue to do so.

Thanks for the response.

I have another one, Sim.

Are the gloomhaunts cranial clasp attacks treated as primitive for the sake of OC head armor?

Nvm. I just read a little bit and found my answer immediately.

Edited by pearldrum1