Posted my sizable review over at BGG - please give it a read!

By Wytefang, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I was kind of stoked to get an early copy again, like I did back when W:I was released. Felt like the continuation of a great tradition to be able to write this review.

Anyone get a chance to read it? Thoughts?

I'm pretty notorious for making long posts, but geebus... Did anyone read the entire thing, or just jump to final thoughts?

I enjoyed the read through. I was not able to get a copy or demo while at Gen Con so I've been looking for any reviews or videos I can see. This was a solid review and backs up my desire to grab at least one core set to try and hook a couple of local people here in the west Cincinnati area.

I'm a quarter of the way through...I'm kind of reading it whilst I have nothing totally imperative to do.

Thus far I like it. But I will save my review of his review for later I guess.

Hey thanks fellas! :)

At BGG longer reviews seem to be the norm and I didn't want to short-sell the game, which I think is very good.

Sorry for the length.

Here's a TLDR version: Great game, fun, great setting, go buy it when it's finally released. :)

I dunno, I just do not get why reviewers always do advanced rule summaries. Like a small overview I guess, but what I really want in a review is personal experience and opinion. I can go read the rules, or the FFG spoilers. People like DT and other utbers as well as a lot of the BGG reviews are basically just summaries of the manual with a tiny fraction that is a review.

It is especially frustrating for people that have followed the development or release scheduled as there is all this info that I do not need to know, or already no.. but I kinda should read it incase there is some incite there.

If I was doing a review like that I would use a large heading to break the review in two.. have the review at the top, with all the info and under it have the mechanical summery.

Edited by booored

Yeah, that's always the rub but oddly, I find that a surprising amount of people don't go and get the PDFs of the rules until the game releases and I hate referencing things in my review portion that won't be understood.

I suppose I could just say screw it and leave out the rules reviews with the assumption that my readers should just know how the game plays when they read my review.

I guess either way could work.

yeah, I would keep them in but separate them. Maybe have them in two section or something. There is no denying that detailed text blocks like yours are good for the community in general. I personally just find them very hard to read. Maybe my attention span has eroded... I blame Ren and Stimpy.

Edited by booored

I miss Ren & Stimpy. :(

He already split the rules into their own section. If you already know the rules, just skip the part called "The Nature of Things (aka Rules of the Game)". That's what I did.

That's also where he wrote something that completely agrees with what you said and gives a reason for why he inserted a rule explanation anyway, booored. "I’m not a fan of reviews that showcase a huge amount of rules explanation but I would like to provide at least a cursory explanation of how the basic gameplay works in order to give context to my overall qualitative assessments."

The thing I'm not sure about the review is, is it not a little early for it? Do you really think you've already played the game often enough to be able give a good review? Or is it more like a review of your first impressions of the game?

I took it more of the first impression of the game right out of the box. If a person enjoys their first few games with nothing but a single copy of the original core set, then I think that they would like it once you can really begin to customize and style your particular deck to a certain style of play that a person likes.

I enjoyed the read, Wytefang - may we get the chance to play each other someday on the glorious field of battle!

Just finished, and it's very thorough. Personally I haven't read the rules (I'm saving myself for the big night ;) ) and it was interesting to have them summarised. I like that you were pretty frank in your statement about what you felt was it's worst point although in my experience of card games they mostly suffer from the same thing to a certain degree.

what was that point?

About how some games (Catan etc) intuitively point you in the right direction by forcing your actions to some degree whilst in this (and most other card games in my experience) force you to work out where you went wrong which is not always easy. The big why did I loose that, and what should I do differently.

Personally I think that's why I play games like this, because they push us to find out what & why, but it's an important point to be made in my opinion as some people like to be (or even need to be) led by the hand. Probably sounds dense to most people on here (who seem to be LCG fans) but things like efficiency, card advantage & how we garner those are important, nay vital, to victory but often times these points are lost as we get caught up in the huge effects and combos we might do if only this can happen first...

Given the site on which Wytefang is doing this review is open to all kinds of gamers I think it was well worth pointing out!

I enjoyed the read, Wytefang - may we get the chance to play each other someday on the glorious field of battle!

That would be awesome. Thank you for the kind words. :D

Thanks guys, appreciate the reads and remarks.

It's more of a first impressions review but backed by heavy experience with card gaming and the launch of W:I back in the day, for which I also did a pretty large review. I'm excited to play again this weekend and need to make some fun combo decks now! :)

I feel guilty, a bit, I must admit at getting to play this now while so many other poor souls are so desperately waiting for their copies to arrive. My apologies if talking about playing this game is rubbing things in. Not my intention. I figured that writing the review might help others to more cheerfully pass the time while waiting for the game to get in their hands, too!

Now if I could have only acquired one of those GenCon Promos. Sigh. :(