Core Set Distribution

By signoftheserpent, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Each pack's warlord† will take up 9 of the 60 cards in each pack: the warlord and the 8 cards of their signature squad. So you'll have 17 additional cards in the pack, all of them in triplicate.

† Assuming each pack has a warlord, which we don't know yet if that will be a case. It seems at least that all the packs in the first cycle will.

I just read through this thread in order to understand one thing...In the expansion packs for this game, due the cards come in 3x copies of each card or 1x? I am thinking it is 1x and in order to get 3x of a card type I want, I would have to purchase an expansion pack 3 times. Does anyone know if my assumption is correct?

Thanks.

That assumption is incorrect; From the Expansion mainpage, "Each War Pack offers a full playset of every unit, attachment, support, and event card within. In this cycle, every War Pack introduces a new warlord and a new style of play to the endless battles of Warhammer 40,000: Conquest alongside powerful new cards for each faction."

A full playset means that the Commander related cards will come in the usual distribution, which will not be 3x, and the other cards will come in 3x.

This debate is mainly due to the fact that the primary game does not provide 3x of all the 'rare' cards, but the expansions will.

Thanks buddy. I took the note of a full playset to mean 1 card each. Appreciate the clarification! I totally dig this **** game!

Thanks buddy. I took the note of a full playset to mean 1 card each.

A playset = maximum quantities allowed of a card.

I never said that you have to wait until later in the game's lifespan in order to play.
With just the Core set out, I would say you probably need two copies to really get into competitive play

You did, without knowing it, I almost always play competitively. :)

You can't blame me for not knowing that you refuse to play in a non-competitive atmosphere. I would absolutely hate never playing a game casually and only playing in leagues/tournaments. It leave no room for experimenting with new decks. Either way, you still only really need 2. Would 3 be better? Of course it would be better, but it is not required.

I don't know where you got the idea you needed more than that to play the game. Even for competitive play, which is not required to enjoy/play the game, you could get away with two. That is by no means required just to play it.

The reviews out there at the moment disagree with your statement. Are they all wrong?

And this one right here in this very forum: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/112200-this-is-what-you-buy-competitive-buy-list-and-faq/

The link you listed is a buying guide not a review. It tells you the reasons why you might want to buy three cores and what you get for buying them. It also informs you about warpacks as well. So, not only is it not a review, but it doesn't really prove your point.

This is kind of ridiculous, I will have a lot of luck getting new people to buy 1-3 copies of the same product. I have already done it for other LCG's.

That is great, but as previously stated, it won't work here.

That's interesting since I have so far been quite successful so far. Please give more information than "it won't work this time". Why won't it work this time? Is this LCG somehow not worth getting more than 1 core while the others where? Really, you don't seem to have any real argument here and I know that you are wrong. So, unless you give me some actual compelling evidence, this point is pretty much done being discussed.

The car analogy doesn't even make sense and I'm not even sure there is a good way to change it to apply here. In your example the car is missing a vital piece, which isn't true for an LCG Core Set. You won't get any new cards that you don't already with a second core. Just more copies of what you have.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/112200-this-is-what-you-buy-competitive-buy-list-and-faq/

etc, etc, etc.

My 2 Kraks

I have absolutely no idea why you think a buying guide proves that your car analogy is right. In fact, I would say it proves your analogy wrong. Here are a few quotes from the article you keep linking.

Do I need three copies of every card?

• No. You can fully enjoy the game and have a full casual playset by purchasing one copy of everything.

What does three Core Sets get me?

• You get will have a full playset of three of every card including the "rare" powerful cards that are only included one copy per box set. You will have duplicates of many cards, especially neutral cards, but this allows you to keep decks separated by faction and not have to share neutrals. The trash extras will be two unneeded sets of signature and warlord cards for each faction.

Notice how the quotes don't talk about anything that is missing from it. You aren't getting anything new with more than one Core. So, unlike you car which is missing a windshield (a vital part for a car) these core sets aren't missing anything. So once again your car analogy is pretty bad and is wrong.

I'll order a third then! (Better hide the boxes from Mrs Mark though!) I guess it depends where you're from gaming background wise. For 40K fans it's a tough sell admittedly but for those like myself from a TCG/CCG background this is actually cheaper than taking up a new deck in one of those games. It is a pain but FFG have to make money from us somehow! ;)

Well no; it depends on whether you have the money.

At least Doomtown had a cleaner distribution across the board.

Compelling eager players to buying more of the same product will, if nothing else, reduce the amount of product available to other potential players. Given that means the same amount of money is made, as the same numebr of sets are bought, surely it would be better to have more players rather than a few hoarding everything?

I will share the wealth dude, I'll teach other players, probably give away the spares to help guys who are interested, loan out decks and cards. I'm a nice guy. It'll be better for my corner of England to have me being super into it than me having one core-set and trying to build something from there in my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, or FFG for that matter & I think you've made that abundantly clear but it's what I'm doing.

Also regardless of 'if you have the money' it is still cheaper than keeping up with standard in MTG, if you don't have the money you will be unable to keep up with either, that's not a nice position to be in I know but a sad fact of life. I never said anybody else had to follow suit either. Just to add that I'm competitive, I like to play that way and so when I do something I like to do it in that way, also I'm a collector and somehow feel 'incomplete' if my collections are.

I will share the wealth dude, I'll teach other players, probably give away the spares to help guys who are interested, loan out decks and cards. I'm a nice guy. It'll be better for my corner of England to have me being super into it than me having one core-set and trying to build something from there in my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, or FFG for that matter & I think you've made that abundantly clear but it's what I'm doing.

Also regardless of 'if you have the money' it is still cheaper than keeping up with standard in MTG, if you don't have the money you will be unable to keep up with either, that's not a nice position to be in I know but a sad fact of life. I never said anybody else had to follow suit either. Just to add that I'm competitive, I like to play that way and so when I do something I like to do it in that way, also I'm a collector and somehow feel 'incomplete' if my collections are.

and that's great.

however players will still need the cards in the core set.

As others before me have pointed out, an LCG is not the same as a boxed board game. Sure, you can treat it as one (which is what I'll be doing myself until I can afford to expand it, as currently Netrunner is and will remain my main game), but that's not what the expectation is going in.

To me, this is the core of the matter. However its also false.

People's expectations of what to expect from something titled a 'core set' depend on their level of experience with this distribution model and with the concept of an LCG. My expectation going in was very much that Netrunner would contain a complete packaged experience that allowed for optional expansion. Discovering that in order to play "competitively" (and please people, stop talking about 'casual' players, it sounds really patronising, the word has a undergone a dirty semantic shift for a lot of people over the last few years. Its often used synonymously with "incompetent") I would be required to buy another one or possibly two core sets was quite disheartening because I had misunderstood the model.

Here in lies the catch 22 of the situation: The biggest hurdle I have found with getting my friends to pick up the game is the need for additional core sets. The biggest hurdle for me being able to play in a "casual" (single core set) environment is getting my friends into the game.

I actually think that the core box does not make this clear enough (probably intentionally). If I had realised that I would require another coreset or two for netrunner I may not have made the initial purchase (despite absolutely loving the game now I have it). Finding out this was a 3 core start up has sealed it firmly in the 'no' column for me.

Now, I am not arguing that the distribution model change, but there is a certain level of hostility when this subject comes up that I've noticed. Just try to understand that in a lot of cases people are making assumptions about how much the purchaser understood about the game and its model prior to purchase. The only thing you should be assuming is at some point someone picked up a box and said 'oh, this looks fun'.

On an unrelated note, I have noticed with Nertrunner that a lot of the core set cards that are often maligned for being too powerful are also the ones which are limited to being 1x in the coreset. As 1x cards they're actually balanced by their unlikeness to be drawn, but this can be offset by the purchase of multiple cores. The cards only become unbalanced when fielded this way., Just food for thought.

Edited by Cail

At least the add on packs don't have wasted cards, unlike Netrunner where we get 3x identities which are a total waste.

At least the add on packs don't have wasted cards, unlike Netrunner where we get 3x identities which are a total waste.

I only find the third copy a waste - the first two are back-to-back sleeved in a clear sleeve for when I accidentally shuffle the ID into my deck :P

I give my extra IDs to friends who are new to the game so they can try new tactics and mix things up before they invest to heavily.

If it were not for having to buy multiples of the same product i would be playing at least one LCG.

I quit playing Magic because it got too expensive.

LCGs promise a cheaper alternative but scare me away right at the start.

You don't HAVE to buy multiples of the Core sets!

You only need multiples if you want to have extra copies of the Core set cards. Now I will grant you that some of those cards are desirable to have additional copies of, but the game plays without them.

I have several friends who only have one Core for Netrunner, and it doesn't diminish their enjoyment of the game. I myself only bought one Core to begin with and expanded later - and I was perfectly happy with that.

There is a "pro" level? Seriously? I can't wait to get three core sets for one hundred and thirty bucks and call myself a "pro"...All kidding aside, at $130, compared to what my friends pay for their addiction to the 40K Miniature game, we are getting off SUPER light. Revel in it.

I know, I just dumped $600 into and army to barely squeek to 1850 points. Then I realized why I tray to avoid 40k. its worse than a marriage. $130 for 3 cores and I am set? And can revel in the 40k universe with how many armies? And still have how much money left over to dump on other miniatures? I can probably save 30 or 40 bucks more on Amazon when they have it? I would rather not buy 3 core sets if I plan on playing but FFG explained AGES ago that they do it in order to pack more variety into the box.

Buying 3 core sets in this game is actually very viable. There's little duplicates as most cards are packed "1 copy of".

The only waste are planet cards, info cards, warlords, and their signatures.

And tokens. You'll end up with two extra sets of the token cards.

This does seem like a game where a full playset is very optimal :D

Not every card you'll want 3x of, but some cards you are going to want to get almost immediately. Every faction has some really strong cards and even 2x isn't enough without search engines.

That's how it seems to me.

This is still waaaaaay cheaper buying three core sets than buying into a collectible card game...i.e. Magic or Yu-Gi-OH.

Nothing to complain about...move along...move along.

P.S. My faction (bugs) is not represented either, but I'm not complaining. Can't wait to see what's in the future.

I didn't want to read through the whole thing so I'm not sure if anyone's iterated this already. But I think the best way to think of this is as such:

When you bought your 3rd Core set of Netrunner , you got something like 12-18 cards that you still needed to complete your playset. The rest of the cards in this third core were "useless" because you already had 3 or more copies.

This is similar to the situation with the other 5 LCGs besides Conquest.

When you buy your 3rd Core of Conquest , you get something like 112 cards that you still need! (~16 singles x 7 factions). The difference is staggering and I think people have to understand that this is the reason there are so many single copy cards in the core. In the end what it also means is there is a lot more content in the game at release as well.

I wholeheartedly support FFGs new strategy of releasing cards primarily as a single copy in LCG core sets! THANK YOU!

Edited by rzarectz

Well here is some food for thought...

If you and a friend just buy 2 sets and then trade cards for the factions you want, then you can have 3 cards of each that you need and want...

As much as I love this game, I don't think I will ever play all 7 (soon to be 9) factions. This is what me and a friend are doing to get more people into the game. I'm going to play 3 factions heavily for sure...4 when the bugs arrive...(keeping fingers crossed)

That's ridiculous. 3x is beyond a joke.

Let's see...basic math 3 core sets at $27 each (via MM or CSI online stores) = $81

Now with that you get full playsets of every card. That is a total number of 532 cards.

With that same $81 you can go buy yourself 1 booster box of the current "flavor of the month" CCG which usually has 36 packs. That is a total of 504 cards which does not guarantee you a full playset of that set. At most you are only getting 36 rare cards so a full playset is nil to none.

LCGs are and will always be a better choice for gamers. Where CCGs will only be better for LGS owers who can buy and open cases and collectors who care more about the hunt.

True, but.

Remember the days when games came out complete, in one box, and every other release was an expansion?

Exactly... ;)

True, but.

Remember the days when games came out complete, in one box, and every other release was an expansion?

Exactly... ;)

LCGs are not, and never have been, designed as standalone products. The set isn't 'incomplete'; it's a base card pool to add to as you decide to increase your deckbuilding options. One of those options is to inlude more of the cards from the base set. But it's just that - an option.

My Core Set is a 'complete' game in that it includes everything it needs to for me to play the game. I don't have as many deckbuilding options as someone who bought multiple core sets, but it's still a fully realised game in the box. If I was missing something crucial, such as a command dial, or a half a faction, I might cry foul, but I'm not.

I am happy with the business model and was happy to buy three core sets. Sorry.

Personally, I look at a single Core set as a collection of starter decks. That's all it is. They are not designed to be great all by themselves and they won't give you the full breath and scope of the game. It is designed to get your feet wet, see if you like the game and wish to fully spend your time and money on it. Just like a starter deck would. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than a single starter deck. But you get seven of them and that gives you far more options when it comes to trying out the game.

Perhaps if FFG advertised it as a starter deck box, with some extra content (tokens, etc) people would come in with different expectations. I'm sure that for publicity reasons, "Core Set" sounds a heck of a lot better, and obviously it works. On the downside, I feel that often, it gives people the wrong idea.