Are painted minis tournament-legal?

By Stormtrooper721, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

If you paint your figures that come in the box, are they still tournament legal?

I really wish the minis had come painted. Wizards of the Coast pre-painted the Star Wars minis in their game.

Can't imagine it would be a problem. It's just my opinion but Would be too boring in grey. would just be playing this with friends and family so for me wouldn't be an issue.

You can repaint the miniatures X-wing and it is tournament legal, so I imagine they wouldn't encourage it!

If you paint your figures that come in the box, are they still tournament legal?

I really wish the minis had come painted. Wizards of the Coast pre-painted the Star Wars minis in their game.

As others have stated, I can't imagine that it would be disallowed. You'll probably see something in the rules about modifying components. If you're not into X-Wing, I would recommend going over to the X-Wing Support page and downloading their tournament rules to get an inkling of how it might go for Imperial Assault.

Considering the Imperial Assault Core Set is coming in at around $100 MSRP, I think getting them pre-painted would be asking too much. I know some of us would prefer to spend the extra money, but this game has to be able to reach the hardcore gamer crowd as well as the casual if our community is to continue to grow and prosper.

For pre-painted models, unless they're coming in a standard like X-Wing and Armada's capital ships, then I'd prefer them not painted at all.

A lot of games systems won't allow unpainted models to enter tournaments. Not saying that with FFG would be the same but I guess only time will tell

This game will have tournaments??

Absolutely, the game designer said that it would be fully supported for organized store play.

Absolutely, the game designer said that it would be fully supported for organized store play.

EDIT: I talked to my brother who was at FFG's in-flight report at GenCon and evidently Christian Petersen, the CEO of FFG, said that the skirmish game would be supported by Organized Play.

Edited by Budgernaut

If it's anything like Descent's organized play, then it will not be competitive. I heard the question and that's why I ask because Descent does not lend it self to competition (tournaments).

No, it sounds like it's the skirmish game they'll be supporting in OP. It'll have Store Championships, Regionals ... all those competitive events. I haven't heard anything about support for the narrative game. I think that's geared more toward casual play.

Yeah, it would be nice if they would do Game Night kits for the campaign mode on top of Tournament kits for skirmish, but I haven't seen them say anything to that effect.