A little bit pricey for my liking

By Lilikin, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Ok so I have now played three games now of Descent and I hope my posts aren't getting annoying yet :P

anyway, The last two games I have played I have had big pricey 25 ish threat cards like evil genius and the such in my starting hand or first turn, my question is when you get these types of card early on do you grab the 5 threat or wait a bit to play them, if so how long do you wait?

Normally I burn them for threat. I'll try to get them out next time around, since I will always cycle the deck at least once.

I generally don't discard until I have to due to a full hand of 8 cards, or if I need threat to pay for something. Having a pile of threat just invites heroes to throw the "We fear no evil" feat at you.

There's no reason to discard until you get a full hand or need the threat to play something right now. If it is Hordes of the Things, I definitely keep it (unless the map has very few areas), as that card is far more powerful early on, and I'd contemplate not playing anything else until I could play it in that situation. Brilliant Commander is similarly powerful (if for nothing else than giving yourself more master beastmen), but I'd be more willing to ditch it for threat. The rest I would say depend on the map and the rest of your early had as to whether the threat you gain is worth it.

Lilikin said:

Ok so I have now played three games now of Descent and I hope my posts aren't getting annoying yet :P

anyway, The last two games I have played I have had big pricey 25 ish threat cards like evil genius and the such in my starting hand or first turn, my question is when you get these types of card early on do you grab the 5 threat or wait a bit to play them, if so how long do you wait?

Evil Genius is the single most powerful card in the game. If you get it early, sacrifice everything you need to, to get it in play. The rest of the powers are marginal and situational. The very high cost Treachery cards are also very powerful usually, and usually worth keeping in hand until the right time to play them comes.

Corbon said:

Lilikin said:

Evil Genius is the single most powerful card in the game. If you get it early, sacrifice everything you need to, to get it in play. The rest of the powers are marginal and situational. The very high cost Treachery cards are also very powerful usually, and usually worth keeping in hand until the right time to play them comes.

+1

players call me evil genious insted of overlord....just cause I always seem to draw that card in my first hand (yep...first 3 cards)...play it really early and its a pain for them. It basically gives you more cards = more threat = faster conquest (also because deck shuffling)

Corbon said:

Lilikin said:

Thirded. EG should never, ever, ever, ever be discarded, unless the heroes are about to win and it finally came up at the end of the deck. The earlier it is played the more victory is all but assured.

pinkymadigan said:

Corbon said:

Lilikin said:

Thirded. EG should never, ever, ever, ever be discarded, unless the heroes are about to win and it finally came up at the end of the deck. The earlier it is played the more victory is all but assured.

+25

Evil Genius is the only card that should always be played.

It accelerates your draw = more threat = dead heroes = win

It makes you draw your deck faster = -conquest = win

It is always useful :)