X-Files LCG

By lovfinion, in Living Card Games

I want to believe that an X-Files LCG would be an excellent choice and license for FFG to pursue, huge amount of source material to draw from and the simple fact the X-Files is an awesome show, perhaps a downside would be it's an older IP and perhaps hasn't got the pull it once had - but given IDW games have relaunch the X_Files in comic form and also bringing out a board game there must be some life there :)

P.s the X-Files once had a ccg between 96-97 and was in my opinion excellent and only discontinued due to Wizards of the Coast winning a lawsuit meaning many ccg's of the time had to pay royalties to continue printing.

Edited by lovfinion

I totally agree that X-Files would be awesome, and I can't wait for the remastered BluRays to come out, but is there really enough content to make it into an LCG? I could totally see a card game that is just a short series, but I guess you'd have to milk every episode in order to get enough content for an LCG.

If done using the Objective mechanic from Star Wars LCG they could do a POD for each episode+Movies making over 200+ that's over 1200 cards, heck some episodes could have multiple pods - can but dream.

I don't mean to put you down, cause I really like you idea, but I think the failure of the CCG was that there was not a large enough fanbase for it to keep going strong. I remember my card shop near Seattle had them, and I think I was only the second or third person to buy a starter deck a week after they came out. I never really figured out the game well enough, and I had nobody to play with, but I thought it was neat, but I think with over ten years of no tv show, it might be a total miss... yet I am advocating for a Star Trek LCG and they already have the Star Wars one, so I guess it is possible, but it depends on the fans and money.

I'd buy it, but I think FFG would be safer making a limited board game or card game that doesn't really require an LCG style to see if it is doable.

I would like to see the X-files LCG using the Call of cthulu mechanic.

Send Mulder and Scully to the Piper Maru...

And your oponent counters by sending Alex Krycek and Eugene Tooms to stop them!

Apparently the CCG failed due to the Wizards of the Coast patent lawsuit of 1997 meaning USPCC had to pay royalties to WotC when producing more cards, the game certainly was selling well here in the UK, heck they had another expansion 22364 (Scully's birthday) play tested and ready for production when they discontinued in 1997, you can still find the cards on various websites to download.

I wouldn't mind seeing this, although I'd have to be concerned that the market might not be there. I enjoyed playing this game when it was out (quite a bit!), but I don't know that I could name a non-Mulder non-Sully member of the show :-\.

In my opinion, this would be awesome... I'm always buying old boosters and decks from that game... I'd love to see it all in one boxed set with battlemaps and content for two players...

It would be the BEST news ever!

I blieve there's been rumors of an X-Files reboot lately, hasn't there? There's a chance a reboot could add enough interest to make this pretty profitable.

I blieve there's been rumors of an X-Files reboot lately, hasn't there? There's a chance a reboot could add enough interest to make this pretty profitable.

Not a reboot, but Fox did greenlight six episodes. I think that's with the original cast, though.

Apparently the CCG failed due to the Wizards of the Coast patent lawsuit of 1997 meaning USPCC had to pay royalties to WotC when producing more cards, the game certainly was selling well here in the UK, heck they had another expansion 22364 (Scully's birthday) play tested and ready for production when they discontinued in 1997, you can still find the cards on various websites to download.

As far as I can recall, this USPC folded it because of the threat, not because they were actually forced to pay royalties. I think the only publisher that agreed to was Harper-Prism's CCG division, that folded around the same time. I don't think WotC ever took the patent to court, though.

Can someone please make this a reality!? X-files as an LCG would be awesome. There are over 20 episodes in each season with 9 seasons (and the new mini season 10), and most are unique side stories, so I think there would be plenty of content. The characters are really interesting, and there isn't a legend/myth that X-files hasn't touched.

I know this is an old post so I am kinda necro-posting here, but I made this (and a few others) on a whim and found this thread while looking to see if others had made similar.

Fox-Mulder-Front-Face_small.png

X Files LCG, I hate you for putting that into my head. Lets pray it happens

Yes, please. ^_^

I WANT TO BELIEVE...that X-files lcg will hapen someday!

The truth is out there!

... We just don’t know what is it... Not likely. The X-files was fine series, but not very popular. Stargate was much more popular, but don’t think that there will be game for that either. Star Trek was even more popular and the ccg did die out... there is very Little room in card game /ccg /Lcg gategory. You need a lot of players who Are willing to invest a long time to fransise and still the game most lilley will die out.

now that the new Dune movie is coming, we have allready seen new print of Dune board game! I am really hoping to see remade Dune card game, (the best card game in the universe IMHO) but I am not holding my breath... The competition is fierce and new cards games seems to die very soon if They Are not mtg... Dune has one advantage that not too Many card games have now. It is multiplayer, by its nature. Only Games of Thrones is pure competative multiplayer game around at this moment, but even that is not going too well.

x-files... a coop version... maybe. But we have now Lotr, AH and Marwells allready. So very full market to put your head on. If one of those die... maybe. But Lotr is still one of the most populars. AH is very popular (and own property) and Marwell is just out... so no room in there.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:06 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

Only Games of Thrones is pure competative multiplayer game around at this moment, but even that is not going too well.

Only AGoT??? Even if AGoT has multiplayer ruleset it's still played mostly as 1vs1. True alive and oldest multiplayer card game is Vampire the Eternal Struggle. It got plenty of new products last and this year and new ones are incoming. There's no random boosters anymore, everything is just 100% fixed and you can order it direct from store or just buy from official print-on-demand service.

https://www.blackchantry.com/products/current-products/

http://www.vekn.net

European Championships in France gathered over 130 players this year. http://www.vekn.fr/ec2019/results/

PS. Doomtown Reloaded also has 2 various multiplayer variants out of the box.

Edited by kempy