Duplicate Reaction Abilities?

By Wh0isTh3D0ct0r, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

So, page 25. of the core rulebook states:

" The active player has the opportunity to resolve the first reaction to a triggering condition, followed by his opponent. In this way, players execute one reaction at a time until both players consecutively pass. Resolve each reaction completely before the next is executed.

A card’s reaction effect may only be resolved once per triggering condition. "

My question is: what if there are duplicate cards in play? It's the same reaction effect, so can both Reaction abilities be played after the same triggering condition is met, or are you limited to the effect being resolved only once?

The rulebook could be interpreted in two distinct ways:

A.) Alternate back and forth until both players have resolved their reaction abilities for the same triggering condition, but duplicate effects cannot be used.

B.) Alternate back and forth until both players have resolved their reaction abilities for the same triggering condition, and each card's reaction ability can be used, but only once each.

Each card gets to use its ability once per trigger. (I'm pretty sure, or I'll be a skinned bantha!)

(I'm pretty sure, or I'll be a skinned bantha!)

See, it's that " pretty sure" that's the problem.

The question came up in a game I had yesterday. Today I re-read this part of the rules and thought, "Yep. This makes it clear...wait a second...maybe not..."

Which card are you thinking of specifically? Because I know for a fact that you can trigger 2 copies of The Tatooine Crash after you refresh. I don't see any reason why other cards wouldn't do the same.

So again, which card are you looking at?

Well, the card that brought up the question yesterday was The Slave Trade , but the question applies to any duplicate cards with a Reaction ability.

Each card may trigger its Reaction independently. This is true even if the Reaction is limit once per turn (eg if you somehow had 2 Darth Vaders in play, each would trigger and deal a damage when you played a Sith event... And then I'd disqualify you for cheating ;-))

So, to clarify - 'Slave Trade' would trigger to a single condition twice if there are 2 in play, just like 'Defense Protocol'. In other words, lower your own reserve by one, and trigger both reactions to deal 2 damage.

There was some question at our shop as well, because while it's a reaction, it has to be 'paid' for by doing something. My contention was that the act of 'paying' for it would meet the reaction criteria and thus trigger both cards - my opponent was saying I'd have to pay for both cards (lower my reserve by two) in order to trigger each reaction separately.

The wording in the rulebook would seem to indicate that any passing criteria would trigger ALL reactions that require that criteria, even though reactions are optional.

What say you all?

" Reaction : After your draw phase begins, reduce your reserve value by 1 (until the end of the phase) to deal 1 damage to a target unit"

The reaction is the start of your draw phase. Both copies of Defense Protocol can react to that trigger. What it does is deal one damage if you pay the cost of reducing your reserve value by one. So you would have to reduce your reserve by 2 to activate both Defense Protocols. Paying the cost is not the trigger itself.

Edited by Budgernaut

" Reaction : After your draw phase begins, reduce your reserve value by 1 (until the end of the phase) to deal 1 damage to a target unit"

The reaction is the start of your draw phase. Both copies of Defense Protocol can react to that trigger. What it does is deal one damage if you pay the cost of reducing your reserve value by one. So you would have to reduce your reserve by 2 to activate both Defense Protocols. Paying the cost is not the trigger itself.

Cool. Thanks. Now, since that card does not say something like, "Limit once per turn", am I correct in assuming that I can reduce my reserve value down to as little as 0 in order to deal even more damage to target unit(s)?

No. Each card can only react once for each trigger. Since your draw phase only starts once on your turn, each card only gets to react to that once.

Okay, that makes sense then. And I've lost tournament games because I let the trigger happen twice off of one paid cost...

Thanks.