First RTL Game, Lots of questions!

By Stillborn, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Just played the first 8 weeks of a RTL campaign, and I have to say it's going to be hard to ever go back to regular style descent!

What an improvement!

However, I bet I played a lot of things wrong, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

So I'll just start from the top and ask away:

1) Can I use threat in dungeons the same as I use them in encounters (ie: move one space, upgrade power die)?

2) Does the spider queen, with the into my palour power, really get to put a dark charm (maybe 2 with enough treachery) onto that card to use in a dungeon (do I discard the cards after, or shuffle them back)?

3) When using Bash (say in an encounter incase question 1 is a no), am I allow to add a black/silver/gold die using threat (either before or after the role)? Can I use an Aim on that attack?

4) Should I be winning in bronze mode? And what does winning mean (does winning = higher threat count || complete quest objectives)?

5) Can players buy those special cards (boats, guide, staf of movement), from any market?

6) Do players reall get to buy out the market if they so choose? In which case isn't it optimal to spend 2 weeks at the grand bazaar and choose from 10 items? At bronze with 1500 gold they can easy to get 6/10 items if they so choose.

7) refering to question 6, once players have 6 bronze items, how do you stand a chance against them? Should I be upgrading a monster to silver early? Or going for an early raze?

8) If I dark charm someone with a guard and use them to darkcharm someone else with a guard and hit, do they both loose the guard? What about effects that last until there turn, does that count as there turn?

Ok I know I have more questions, both about rules and about strat, but thats all I can think of for now.

If anyone has any interesting tips on how to play the nightfall story with the spiderqueen, I'd love to hear from you as well!

Cheers,

SB

Oh I thought of another questions, That card that lest me teleport my Lt. anywhere, can I rebuy that after I use it, or is it one shot?

If it is one shot, should it only be used to get too a quest item, or should I use it to raze cities?

--SB

Stillborn said:

Just played the first 8 weeks of a RTL campaign, and I have to say it's going to be hard to ever go back to regular style descent!

What an improvement!

However, I bet I played a lot of things wrong, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

So I'll just start from the top and ask away:

1) Can I use threat in dungeons the same as I use them in encounters (ie: move one space, upgrade power die)?

2) Does the spider queen, with the into my palour power, really get to put a dark charm (maybe 2 with enough treachery) onto that card to use in a dungeon (do I discard the cards after, or shuffle them back)?

3) When using Bash (say in an encounter incase question 1 is a no), am I allow to add a black/silver/gold die using threat (either before or after the role)? Can I use an Aim on that attack?

4) Should I be winning in bronze mode? And what does winning mean (does winning = higher threat count || complete quest objectives)?

5) Can players buy those special cards (boats, guide, staf of movement), from any market?

6) Do players reall get to buy out the market if they so choose? In which case isn't it optimal to spend 2 weeks at the grand bazaar and choose from 10 items? At bronze with 1500 gold they can easy to get 6/10 items if they so choose.

7) refering to question 6, once players have 6 bronze items, how do you stand a chance against them? Should I be upgrading a monster to silver early? Or going for an early raze?

8) If I dark charm someone with a guard and use them to darkcharm someone else with a guard and hit, do they both loose the guard? What about effects that last until there turn, does that count as there turn?

Ok I know I have more questions, both about rules and about strat, but thats all I can think of for now.

If anyone has any interesting tips on how to play the nightfall story with the spiderqueen, I'd love to hear from you as well!

Cheers,

SB

1) I want to say no, but I could be wrong.

2) Yes

3) Yes, you can Aim it. No, you choose how many dice you are rolling for Bash and that's it. No adding and Bash ALWAYS rolls black dice, it never rolls silver/gold.

4) Its common for the OL to be ahead by almost twice (or more) conquest in Copper.

5) Yes

6) You can do that if you want. Of course you give the OL 2 weeks to make moves with you doing nothing.

7) Upgrade that first monster class as soon as you can. You should get enough kills to do that by the end of the second dungeon, or the first if your Heroes are stubborn.

8) Well, the person you are planning to attack can activate his guard and kill the person you are Dark Charming actually. This is specifically addressed in the FAQ actually

Q: How does the timing of Guard interact with Dark Charm? Can I use my Guard order to attack when the overlord plays Dark Charm on me so I don’t lose it? Can I use a Guard order to attack the hero the overlord is using Dark Charm on? In either case, can I do so before or after the die is rolled to see if the card takes effect?

A: Guard orders can interrupt the overlord at any time. However, each action should be resolved in its entirety once it’s been begun. (For example, although you can interrupt the overlord if he declares an attack, if you choose not to the attack is resolved in its entirety before you have another chance to use your Guard order. You can’t wait to see if the attack missed or not before deciding to Guard.) So, for Dark Charm, once the overlord has played the card you must immediately decide whether to interrupt it with a Guard order. If you choose not to, the overlord proceeds to roll dice and you must wait for the card (and its attack, if any) to be completely resolved. If you interrupt the Dark Charm and kill the target hero, then the card is canceled without further effect.

9) That card is a one time use. I've always found it put to best use to transport the Lt to a city as far away from the Heroes as possible, but its also good for getting a quest item.

1) No. That's only for encounters

7) You only lose guard tokens if you lose wounds, so whoever is affected by the attack would lose their guard. Guard tokens may be used before resolving the dark charm attack to avoid losing them. The target of the Dark Charm card (the attacker) does not automatically lose their guard.