Battlestar Galactica version of Star Wars: Armada

By Tacobandit, in Star Wars: Armada

I was looking over everything for the new star wars game and had an epiphany. I feel that this kind of system would be absolutely perfect for a Battlestar Galactica game!! I can see it now, the battlestars galactica and pegasus with viper squadrons vs base ships with raider squadrons. They could even have the raptor squadrons as well as the heavy raiders.

What do ya'll think? Would you all like a Battlestar Galactica version of Armada?

If it had classic ships instead of the designs from the god-awful remake, absolutely.

But I don't think its real likely. Not enough room for expansions in the existing material.

Five years ago, it might have been worth doing a one-off. But too much time has passed.

there actually is a miniature space battle war game already for battle star galactica. It uses the "full thrust" rule set. it's called blood and steel or something. Some guys in germany designed it and released it for free. they have huge tournys and have tons of pics of entire fleets of cylon vs battlestars with vipers and raiders. it looks just like this except the scale of the large ships is a bit random (no official line of minis). If you are really intersted send me a pm and I'll dig out the link for you..

As one of the guys oddeye was talking about - yeah, our club did run a few demo games with BSG shis and lots of small fighters using the Full Thrust rules from Ground Zero Games.

Links to pics of of our demo table:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.881179831908213.1073741850.150598961632974&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.822737041085826.1073741843.150598961632974&type=3

And the source booklet we did (under "downloads" on the linked page):

http://www.mechworld.de/?collection=MW_collection_readmore&id=29&uid=53139641dd200

Edited by J43G3RM31ST3R

Wow, those are great pictures. How did they do the lighting effects, was that an after market add on, or did the ships come with the lights. I'm looking for an easy solution to light up a falcon or two, and maybe a firespray as well, maybe a lambda too lol

Personally? No. I didn't like the way the show turned out compared to some ideas from the older one.

Practically? Are you going to have enough ships to do a meaningful run of Battlestar Galactica ships? The Cylons had something like three? ships? (Base star, Resurrection ship, Resurrection hub, maybe old Battlestar too?). There wouldn't be enough content to run for long and then they'd have to start making up ships.

Star Wars is the better pick because out of 30+ years of constant material there's plenty of craft to depict.

Sadly BSG is a one trick pony. The universe is not big enough IMO to merit a full blown fleet game.

:mellow:

If it had classic ships instead of the designs from the god-awful remake, absolutely.

But I don't think its real likely. Not enough room for expansions in the existing material.

Classic would be the way to go. It would have a short run and few expansions, but it would still be very cool.

Sadly BSG is a one trick pony. The universe is not big enough IMO to merit a full blown fleet game.

:mellow:

Yeah. That's a sad thing, too. Really loved BSG.

The redone show that is. It IS the one I grew up with.

Old or new, there just... Isn't enough content. At all. Unless you made up a bunch of new stuff. HOWEVER...

If Blood and Chrome gets made into a full series- and it should. Then yes. We'll definitely have enough content.

Perhaps WizKids will license Armarda and do BSG? :D

As one of the guys oddeye was talking about - yeah, our club did run a few demo games with BSG shis and lots of small fighters using the Full Thrust rules from Ground Zero Games.

Links to pics of of our demo table:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.881179831908213.1073741850.150598961632974&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.822737041085826.1073741843.150598961632974&type=3

And the source booklet we did (under "downloads" on the linked page):

http://www.mechworld.de/?collection=MW_collection_readmore&id=29&uid=53139641dd200

ahh yes what jagermeister said. Thanks, saved me time digging up old convos on facebook.

I have a feeling we are friends on facebook.. =)

If might work based on the 70's version, but as others have said, there's not a lot of ships to go on.

The remake (which I loved) was more centred around the personalities and duplicities of the people involved, and would feel pretty soulless as a tabletop shoot-em-up.

"Crew Card, Bill Adama:

Engage in a profound meditation of the line one must draw between the police and the military

Then receive one focus token. Two if this ship carries Laura Roslin"

--

"Crew Card, Kara Thrace:

Say something cutting but hilarious

Then discard a stress token"

--

"Crew Card, Gaius Baltar:

Give yourself a stress token. Give your allies a stress token. Give your enemies a stress token. Repeat until you run out of stress tokens. Then buy five 'Gaius Baltar Stress Token' expansion packs. Distribute the stress tokens so that everyone is very stressed."

God awful remake!? It was perfect... you are sooo burning in sci- fi hell.

"Crew Card, Bill Adama:

Engage in a profound meditation of the line one must draw between the police and the military

Then receive one focus token. Two if this ship carries Laura Roslin"

--

"Crew Card, Kara Thrace:

Say something cutting but hilarious

Then discard a stress token"

--

"Crew Card, Gaius Baltar:

Give yourself a stress token. Give your allies a stress token. Give your enemies a stress token. Repeat until you run out of stress tokens. Then buy five 'Gaius Baltar Stress Token' expansion packs. Distribute the stress tokens so that everyone is very stressed."

Ahahahaha!

Ahahahaahahahahaaha!

SPOT ON!

God awful remake!? It was perfect... you are sooo burning in sci- fi hell.

Holla.

Isn't there supposed to be a third remake in the works? I hope they get some of the details right this time, like being a sister civilization of man borrowing hallmarks from ancient myths? Y'know, all those spacy ancient astronaut ideas the moore remake pitched out the airlock for some 9/11 commentary masked as science fiction?

Bleh.

Of course before they do BSG there's gonna be another system they'll port over first. A system that hasn't had a decent fleet game in a while that might fall within FFG's license coverage.

Battlefleet Gothic.

I agree with you except for the part that I think you meant to say:

"If it had remake ships instead of the designs from the god-awful classic, absolutely."

But I may be misquoting you here... :)

We still play the BSG boardgame, if only so we can yell at each other for being a Cylon.

I still say that a continuation where the (original series) Galactica reaches Earth in the 25th century would be good, That would give a much bigger number of ships with Earth Directorate, Draconians, Colonials and Cylons plus the Eastern Alliance and misc pirates. All of which seemed to have the same tech base so would be a better match that the usual cross over

also.. instead of number chits to place in the stands.. Name plates with pictures, so it's easier to identify pilots. with all those Vipers it's gonna get hairy out there.. lol

I'm also a fan of the new one, but I would like to have older and newer Vipers.. I really dug all the Viper models in the show

This could have been anything really, I just like the concept.....For me I would have loved a TI3:Armada