Mixing Armada and X-Wing

By Crabbok, in Star Wars: Armada

It's probably too early to tell, but I wonder how long it will take people to essentially combine both games into one. Say, multiply a Star Destroyer's stats by 10 and then just run it in the game for fun? I know after playing a handful of games, it'll be very early on my list of things to attempt.

Do you think that this will happen?

Yes.

But only once.

To be honest Nova Fleet/Squadron did run some kind of massive hybrid game with both. Sounded like it went really well and included an 11 foot ISD model, if recall the size right, for the x-wing side. Probably a logistical nightmare to run but sure looked impressive in the pics.

20 hours ago, Grand Admiral Buford said:

and included an 11 foot ISD model

I always imagined a hybrid game would be more like one 3x6 table in the center of the room, and a few 3x3 tables set up around it. When squadrons get engaged, you set up an X-wing table with the appropriate squadrons (or squadrons that just joined the engagement get deployed on one of the edges). During the Armada ship phase, go by squadron activations instead of initiative for the fighters on the X-wing tables. Then during the squadron phase, after all unengaged squadrons have moved, complete an X-wing round by initiative for any fighters that haven't gone yet.

Boarding parties could even result in setting up tiny Legion games, maybe to score better or even to take over an enemy ship.

For the sake of time it would probably be best to have teams, so the admiral is running the Armada game and then teammates run the squadron engagements when activated/during squadron phase.

Do not recall all the specifics of it but the x-wing game had the isd divided into something like 8 zones. Each zone had 200 points, 1.0 rules, for each side. Once per turn the isd got some amount of dice to throw in one zone for each rebel fighter. Both sides recycled when wiped out. Some kind of special rules on how the isd took damage. That all somehow applied to the damage on the isd in the bigger armada game. Both games impacted each other. Apparently, there were hundreds of fighters "used" in the x-wing portion while the armada was one of the first semi-official 1000pt games. It was an all day affair. Pics looked cool. Too bad I could not attend though, just got to enjoy from a great distance.

I would do it as a combined league, maybe even with a narrative support story.

One league for each miniatures game, but you'd have to limit it to the factions that are available for every game, so Rebel, Imperial, Separatist and Republic. Then you have over-arching goals and objectives, and run it over X months. Each 'season' would afford benefits to the top factions and impact the narrative. (Maybe like Imperials start with a ConFire token or an Aim token in each game for the next season)

You can even get real fancy and coordinate winning rewards between miniatures games - so for example, if the Rebels win the Armada season, Rebels in the next season playing Legion can get "Fleet Support - Orbital bombardment", once per game roll 6 black die against an enemy unit.

I was alway dreaming about combination of Rebellion, Armada / X-Wing and Legion.

15 hours ago, 187-Leon said:

I was alway dreaming about combination of Rebellion, Armada / X-Wing and Legion.

I propose a system on the old post (but I think we should move this to the new forum)