How many core sets to purchase?

By jkayati, in Star Wars: Armada

So, I'm in for certain, but I'm wondering if this will be like X-Wing were two of the core sets is essentially mandatory.

Should I just go ahead and preorder two, or will one suffice?

Hard to say until we know more about the game.

The main reason why 2 core's are such a goo deal for X-Wing is the extra ships, and the extra parts. With only one maneuver template you may not find you need 2 as much. Looks like you have plenty of dice as well.

Then will you really want 2 VSD's, 2 Neb's, 2 Vettes and all those fighters? Even if you do, they may do like they did with the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion and have different cards with a VSD pack if they release one.

So myself I'm not going to consider 2 cores until I know for sure that getting a 2nd one is a good deal

At 100 bucks each that's getting pricey fast

Best to wait and see what is all required

What I don't like is that is money I can be using to buy vintage star wars and r

Transformers

Edited by Krynn007

The core set seems to have a ton of stuff that is mandatory to play the game. But I don't get the impression that you will need more than one. That being said, we have no idea how much it would cost to buy all three large ships + all those Fighters is going to be. My guess is that you might want more core sets for more fighters.

Twelve. Yep, twelve sets should do it.

The core comes with 3 of each kind of die, the victory SD has forward attack values of 3 in two kinds of dice. Safe bet the ISD will need more than 3 of some types.

What I don't like is that is money I can be using to buy vintage star wars and r

Transformers

Wouldn't that be true regardless of the price? Money's money, right?

I think we have to wait an see what expansions are going to be like.

The core comes with 3 of each kind of die, the victory SD has forward attack values of 3 in two kinds of dice. Safe bet the ISD will need more than 3 of some types.

Wouldn't rule out separately-available dice packs, though!

I'll guarantee it.

Just like everyone gets the x-wing dice packs instead of a second core set. ;)

Seems pricey for $100.

I know I'll get one for sure, but that may be it. The minis don't seem to be all that big when you look at them in comparison to the size of the dice, which I assume are standard size.

Regardless, I'm excited about it!

I'll guarantee it.

Just like everyone gets the x-wing dice packs instead of a second core set. ;)

Well, you were only talking about dice there, so I did the same. ;)

What we shouldn't forget is that two core sets are considered "mandatory" because they are very good value for their bucks. Core sets very rapidly dropped in price in local game stores, often being found for around $30 to $25 (as opposed to the $40 FFG prices them). Given that you get three ships for that, it's a steal.

The second reason two core sets were considered mandatory is because one core set made for rather boring games. They're a good intro experience, but as far as out-of-the-box gaming goes, they're a tad lacking.

Armada so far looks like it can avoid the second pitfall due to its complexity. The first... well, hard to say now, but $200 is not nearly as much value for your buck at first glance.

2. Always 2

I plan to get two to start since it is good to have the extra swag.

Besides we all know that Mini Market and Cool Stuff will have this set for around $60'ish.

:)

will get 1 for sure and another when funds permit. You then have extra material for guests.

I think that is a game only to get one core, greettings.

Don't get excited!

FFG fans from all over, I want to ask how expensive are the core sets you've bought multiples of? Netrunner, SWLCG, and X-Wing all seem to top off around $40. It's easier to pick up a second core set at a later date and you get a deal on grabbing a second core over the equivalent expansions.

We don't know how much the expansions will be for Armada (it's safe to say they will be coming), but do you really think buying a core set is going to be cheaper than buying those same three ships individually? Even if all three ships were priced at $30, that's still $90... ten dollars cheaper than the core set. Yeah, it's only $10, but it's something. Even then if they follow the expansion format as X-Wing does it means new kinds of cards in each pack in addition to the extra ship.

The only problem here is duplication of components we can't find anywhere else. That may be in choice generic upgrade cards (which is ludicrous and a **** move by FFG if they do so), or dice. And I'm sincerely hoping they address the dice issue with a dice pack. They'd have to.

As long as those bases are covered you'd only need one core set.