Scale... so close

By Robin Graves, in Star Wars: Armada

To bad the Tantive IV still isn't in scale with the star destroyer. (same goes for the x-wing tie-fighters)

It's a nitpick i know, but still if they had made the star destroyer 3 or 4 times bigger it would look a lot better.

Oh well i'm glad we can now play with the big ships and the B-wings will have something proper to shoot at.

It's a victory class star destroyer which is about half the size of an ISD. I am sure the ISD will come in a nice big box a-la the medium size (large) ships in X-Wing.

Yes, but they victory destoryer is still half the size it would be to be in scale with the cr-90. The nebulon B should be almost twice the size as well. And the squadrons would basically just be tokens at that point. But it all looks close enough. Much better than putting a star destroyer onto an X-wing board.

Hard to say without seeing the two models side by side in person. Still looks pretty close (corvette looks to be about 1/3 the size of the VSD)

To be in scale with the VSD the CR90 would need to be 1/6 the size (900m to 150m), but get too small, and there's a limit on detail. The frigate and the victory seem to be more in scale with each other. A regular Imperial Star Destroyer would be not quite double the length of the Victory. One way to get around the sliding scale is that in some ways, it's how close to the camera a given ship is. :)

I think for practicality, ISDs may not be completely in scale. I'm not sure how big that victory star destroyer is, but say it is 4 inches long. An ISD would be about 7 inches, and the Executor would be 7 feet long :) A praetor battle cruiser would be about 17 inches long. The real challenge will be figuring out the scale for Home One. :)

This is one of those times where I'm lucky I don't know all the technical specifications of these ships. Yes, I know it's only a VSD. I know it's smaller than an ISD.

But the golden part? I don't know how much smaller it should be, so I don't care that it isn't perfect.

Ignorance is bliss.

This is one of those times where I'm lucky I don't know all the technical specifications of these ships. Yes, I know it's only a VSD. I know it's smaller than an ISD.

But the golden part? I don't know how much smaller it should be, so I don't care that it isn't perfect.

Ignorance is bliss.

That's OK, Banana, we'll soon educate ya! ;)

Ignorance is bliss.

That's OK, Banana, we'll soon educate ya! ;)

NOOOOOO!

It won't matter much. Numbers are only numbers. Without seeing a comparison a whole lotta times, it won't stick. Had I played EaW more, maybe it would bother me, but I just haven't been exposed enough for it to really sink in.

perfect scale does not matter to me just as long as it looks right

Yeah, the scale seems a little bit out, but given the size of the models, it's not like to be as bad as trying to shoehorn a Star Destroyer onto an X-Wing table.

I'm just hoping they keep things in proportion to a certain degree. The only reason I didn't bother with Attack Wing, was that every ship looked to be about the same size.

PS: UnfairBanana - ISD = 1,600m long, VSD = 900m long. ;)

I'm supposing they're scaling in such a way as to allow SSD's to be fielded. Crossing fingers.

The entire scale is just strange. The whole point of doing a LARGE scale game is to get Star Destroyers, and with this scale, you couldn't even fit the Executor on the board. So either they have no plans of making a Super Star Destroyer, (Which I doubt), or they do not plan to keep this game to a strict scale.

I kinda hope they leave the scale a little bit loose. Not as bad as Star Trek: Attack Wing... but loose enough that you can tell which ships are larger.

That the CR90 is already out of scale shows that they at least have no compulsion at changing sizes of ships to put them in the game. Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari's are a given. Executor... probably, though I'm unsure how they're going to do that (X-wing's CR90 size?).

Death Star's still destined to be a playmat though.

Edited by keroko

Well, we know that there has to be some abstraction in this game. Obviously the fighter squadrons are not to scale. Still, the scale between the VSD and the Corvette is not all that bad. Considering we have never seen them side by side in the movies (the closest would be the x-wing/TIE fighter computer games and to be honest I don't remember if there was a mission that had both), there is no official reference to go by. When the ISD model comes out, we will know for sure how in or out of scale the models actually are.

Edited by Otakuon

I think to think of it like what's stated in ol' spaceship tabletop game Battlefleet Gothic. It says that the sizes of the models are merely an abstraction and that you should really consider a ship as being located somewhere in the space taken up by the model's base.

1:1 scaling works fine in a dogfighting game because all of the participants are going to be really close in size to each other anyway. It's much less doable in a fleet game because that'll make some common models ten times bigger than others (e.g., the ISD versus the CR90). This is just something that we're going to have to deal with.

So, courtesy of FTS Gecko in another thread, we have this sliding scale for the X-Wing ships.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of sliding scale we get for Armada.

pic1951407.jpg

Of course, that's a lot of extrapolation from just two non- 1:270 ships.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

Yeah, the scale seems a little bit out, but given the size of the models, it's not like to be as bad as trying to shoehorn a Star Destroyer onto an X-Wing table.

I'm just hoping they keep things in proportion to a certain degree. The only reason I didn't bother with Attack Wing, was that every ship looked to be about the same size.

PS: UnfairBanana - ISD = 1,600m long, VSD = 900m long. ;)

An x-wing scale star destroyer (big enough that the tantive IV fits into it several times) Lol we need a bigger game store!

If you people are really bothered why not go to Shapeways and find stuff at the right scale? It's what the attack wing people do.

I don't mind scale discrepancies because this is not a simulation. This is something to have fun with. Scale dis-proportionality is seriously going to stop you from having fun?

No, scale disproportion, the lame paintjobs and availability are going to stop me from buying Attack Wing. So I decided to design my own game instead. Works out better for me that way, and cheaper too.

And I consider any wargame I play to be something of a simulation to a certain degree. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be using models, we'd be using counters or something similar to represent the ships. It just looks better when all the models are the right scale, and at the size of the Armada models, I think they've got it about right. If they wanted to do the corvette to the same scale as the VSD, it would be too small to be able to tell what it is easily.

An x-wing scale star destroyer (big enough that the tantive IV fits into it several times) Lol we need a bigger game store!

There's been heated debate on the X-Wing forum on many occasions over some people wanting a Star Destroyer for X-Wing, as ludicrous as it sounds. Some think that if you reduced the model down to about 2' long, it would be OK. Most think it would look ridiculous and lose the massive presence that ship should have. At the end of the day, it's a dogfighting game for dogfighting ships. Big fleet ships belong in a fleet game - hey presto, Armada!

Just to weigh in on the discussion, I really wish they would keep the capital ships to scale with each other. Even if they have to have "classes" that are different scales, at least try and be consisant. That is one thing that killed the old WOTC Starship Battles game (aside from poor quality and simple rules) was that ships were totally inconsistant. The Falcon was almost as large as a Neb-B.

I really wish FFG would use their attention to scale from X-Wing for the larger ships too.

(And I am very sad to see that the Medium Transport and CR90 were different scales in X-wing. I thought they were to scale with each other at least...)

Thanks,

Duncan