Compatibility with X-Wing?

By Mikael Hasselstein, in Star Wars: Armada

It's probably too early to tell, but I wonder how long it will take people to essentially combine both games into one. Say, multiply a Star Destroyer's stats by 10 and then just run it in the game for fun? I know after playing a handful of games, it'll be very early on my list of things to attempt.

In one of the Transport missions, there's turbolaser fire coming in from 'off screen' (ie. 'off mat'). I think that's an interesting concept in a way.

I do like the idea of integration, but I suspect it will require us fans to come up with a regime of mechanics for it.

It's probably too early to tell, but I wonder how long it will take people to essentially combine both games into one. Say, multiply a Star Destroyer's stats by 10 and then just run it in the game for fun? I know after playing a handful of games, it'll be very early on my list of things to attempt.

In one of the Transport missions, there's turbolaser fire coming in from 'off screen' (ie. 'off mat'). I think that's an interesting concept in a way.

I do like the idea of integration, but I suspect it will require us fans to come up with a regime of mechanics for it.

We already have. Play Armada, and then when the squadrons fight you zoom in and play X-wing. :P :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was just talking to a friend about the possibilities. A long time ago I started a Warhammer 40k league that started with a Battlefleet Gothic game. Victory points scored in the BFG game were used to detrimine the Player's army point total for the league games. My idea for Armada and X Wing is much the same: Every Armada victory point could equal 100 points in the X-Wing series to be played. Sounds fun.

I'm currently working on a project that should combined the two pretty well. Basically the game starts with an Armada battle. One squad is given a mission such as take out the shield generators or weapons of one of the capital ships. Once that squad gets within striking range in Armada then the Xwing game starts. If the squad completes it's mission then that ship in Armada losses whatever the focus of the mission was. For the Armada to Xwing the Capital ship still rolls the dice to shoot at the squadron in it's firing arc if it chooses to like normal. Only difference is he would choose one fighter on the xwing board to do damage.

That's just one idea I have. The end goal is to have a whole day galatic war between two teams have multiple Armada and Xwing Battles. I'm also trying to tie in Imperial Assault into it as well.

I'd say no....seeing Armada has completely killed my interest in Xwing. I have everything for the Imperials in Xwing, and it's sitting on a shelf, and I'm considering selling it as my interest in it now I have Armada is zero.

I could see X-Wing and Armada both being used in the same campaign, but that's the limit of how I can forsee them being reasonably integrated.

I'm arriving on this post a bit too late, so maybe we can talk about this on the new forum ?

I've made a "far from perfection" system to combine Armada, X Wing, ASE and the wargame Star Wars Rebellion. Star Wars Rebellion is used as a "big picture" and the others games are used to replace the combat system. Minis are in this approach a pool of points that you can use to "buy" ships or units.
You can see that as a campaign that as to be play on several days.

Edited by ZaZ333

I played like this once. We played two rounds of X-Wing for every round of Armada. It's very complicated and changes the squadron mechanism too much in my opinion. It was fun to try out but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday games.