About the Dwarf Engineer

By LETE, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hello!

Can the Dwarf Engineer's ability to "restart War Machines" only be (presently) used on the Gyrocopter (the only disk that can fall within short range), right?

Just checkin' if I'm playing correctly.

Thanks!

L

Hi Lete. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

The Dwarf Engineer can remove an activation token from any war machine within short range. I don't have my disks in front of me, but that should include the Runic Cannon and the Flame Cannon as well.

Hi Lete. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

The Dwarf Engineer can remove an activation token from any war machine within short range. I don't have my disks in front of me, but that should include the Runic Cannon and the Flame Cannon as well.

Aren't those are too big (medium sized I think... But I could be wrong), to be within* the engineer's "range"?

Thanks

L

*Per the "range rules".

Edited by LETE

You're misinterpreting that.

The war machine can be targeted for the 'repair' if any part of its disk is in short range of the engineer. Not like the Vampires' reanimate, where a disk has to be COMPLETELY in short range...

But your engineer close to the cannon and defend it and it'll be a lot of fun. I speak from experience...

^This.

The rules will always state if something needs to be COMPLETELY within a certain range. Otherwise, you just need to have some part of the disk within that range for the effects to work. No matter what effect you are talking about. i.e. ranged attacks, magic, command cards, disk abilities, etc.

The default assumption when reading an ability with a ranged component is that any part of the disk must be within range. The term completely is a modification of those rules.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

I seriously feel bad for those Dwarf Engineers running around on their stubby little legs trying to keep up with their Gyrocopters in order to feel at all useful.

;)

I think there should be an offical answer to this. By my reading of the RAW, I differ, yet I'm still willing to be proved wrong (so many nifty EFX can be changed)!

Thanks

L

Think of the missile units with a range of short and sometimes without mobile. If they had to wait until an enemy falls completely into short range in an attack, without going any further to pin...they would be quite useless.

There is an official response on the matter, actually. Page 11 of the rulebook defines range measurement, and states that it is determined by where where the range ruler touches the edge of the two disks in question. Thus, a targeted disk is within medium range if it's edge (or any part of the disk) is touched by the range ruler at the divider for medium range or shorter, measured from the targeting disks edge. It is completely within range if the entire disk meets this criteria.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Jedhead

Hello:

Pigheaded moi, I went & axed Mr Litzinger.

Our games will have a paradigm shift now.

:P

Needless to say my face is red!

Thanks all

L

I've been playing the Dwarfs for awhile now.

My best combo is the Master Engineer and the Runic Cannon. As long as he is within short range and I activate a command card I can essential fire off two shots one after the other. You activate the cannon and fire. Activate the Engineers focus ability to remove the token. Fire again and piss off your best friend as your shots scatter and wipe out a few of his disks. :)

Also, if you draw rain of arrows in the beginning of the game remember the extra die is for 'missile' units only which war machines do not fall under.

:)