VC 2 Regiments list - Tales From The Crypt

By metalbusi, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Here is a Vampire Counts 2 regiments army that I'm gonna try. Please share your opinion.

Mannfred von Carstein [31]
Units:
1x Black Knights (11)
1x Dire Wolves (6)
1x Tomb Banshee (7)
1x Aspiring Necromancer (7)

Isabella von Carstein [33]
Units:
1x Black Knights (11)
1x Dire Wolves (6)
1x Tomb Banshee (7)
1x Grave Guard (8)

+1 Initiative

Cards:
Raise Dead [2] Slow
Assault [4] Bold
Invocation of Nehek [3] Steady
Dark Majesty [3] Devious

The strategy:
Reanimate is a good ability but the downside is that you need to use a lot of activation points. That is why I choose not to put Skeleton Warriors, because for me are just a waste of points and actions. If I have to reanimate something I want effective units that can do a lot of damege. The main strategy is to nuke your enemy with the banshee and pin disks with dire wolves while the Black Knight will deal the final blow.
All the units are very/moderate fast so you can reanimate in safe distance.

The Carstein Family:
Units are fragile so we need tough hroes that can last and go melee without worrying too much. Manfred will reanimate units and go melee if needed while Isabella will aggro and nuke units reanimating Banshee in crowded areas or Grave Guard in melee.

Black Knight:
A fast unit with Fear and a solid Impact 3. Must be used wisely.

Dire Wolves:
Another super fast unit with fear. Perfect to keep occupied ranged units or pin unactivated enemy heroes.

Tomb Banshee:
Your artillery and also the main center around your strategy.

Aspiring Necromancer:
With fragile units we need reanimators. With him we have 3 reanimators.

Grave Guard:
Just the top melee unit of the VC.

Cards:
Invocation of Nehek and Raise Dead are the engine for make Isabella a strong reanimator and let the Apprentice raise the Black Knight.
Dark Majesty is amazing because it let your casters be unpinned so they can be activate to reanimate units.
With a lot of stuff to reanimate we need a lot of actions, so that is why we will use Assault. Plus we have all kind of cards so we cut the chance of being the second player if you guess what card the opponent will play.

Edited by metalbusi

This list will certainly be able to swoop in and deal solid damage on the initial engagement, but I worry a bit that it lacks units to form a front line. The risk any time that you go heavy on charge-style disks is that you don't get your charges off and you end up being pinned in a critical round of combat. That is one reason why skeleton warriors, militia spearmen, orc boyz, etc. are so valuable: they have decent combat stats, but they provide cover for your other troops by occupying dangerous positions and threatening the enemy, giving you an anvil to charge against and controlling movement lanes. As an added bonus, their lower cost means they are semi-expendable. If all your units are charging units you lack this screen out front, and you also lack "disposable" cheap units. Right now, all you have for line infantry is the grave guard, so you might have to supplement them with dire wolves or banshees in this role, which isn't ideal.

I think with this army there will be a "dance of death" with your opponent during turn two or so where you will be trying to set up charges, and he will be trying to stay out of charge range until you are activated. If you are successful, you will land charges, and your casters can hang back and do their thing, reanimating the casualties. If your opponent is successful, you will get pinned and killed, and your casters will be at a severe disadvantage in subsequent rounds, or will be forced into melee to try and save pinned units. All armies have this critical turn to some extent, but it afflicts charge-dependent units (banshees, black knights, dire wolves) to a much higher degree.

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying it might be difficult to pull off in some games due to the delicate nature of delivering that many charges successfully. Also, I might lose Raise Dead and replace it with something that gives you an empowerment option, or maybe intimidate to help keep your heroes clear. I don't know, just personal preference on that one, Raise Dead never seems as valuable to me. Let us know how the list works for you!

Edited by Jedhead