never played the videogames but this looks cool

By GroggyGolem, in XCOM: The Board Game

It is an interesting concept, bringing together a board game and tablets/phones to make a more immersive experience. I like that I randomized the game experience too. What's everyone else's thoughts on this game?

Edited by GroggyGolem

This looks like an insta-buy for me. I like how they are integrating the app too. It really looks like it will capture the feel of the video/PC game.

Im not so much excited about the app, But i am really excited about the game.

Not sure. I loved the computer games. My initial feeling are mixed:

Pluses: Xcom! FFG! Eric Lang as designer!

Cons: Co-op, requires computer/tablet/phone.

Unknowns: How does combat work? Is there even combat? There's four cool looking minis so I guess there must be, but does it happen on a different board?

The main negative for me is co-op. I've never played a co-op game that I really like. The other negative - requiring a tablet/computer/phone -- would seem to break immersion into the game. I spend 10 hours a day in front of a screen -- I game to get away from that a bit. It will depend on just how big of a component of it ends up being.

The main issue with co-op games is they're way too stochastic, and the outcome tends to mostly depend on what you draw. They also tend to be hard -- but not in a good way. It's as if the designers are trying to compensate for the lack of an intelligent opponent by just buffing the artificial opponent. If the software bit of XCOM can use a real AI instead, then it might change my opinion on the genre. (one of my negatives might end up being a positive)

In any case, I'm looking forward to more previews!

Wow..

Love the PC game. Look forward to this!

I love these games, bring it on!

The tablet thing really interests me. I've thought for a while that tablets would be a great accessory to board gaming. Hope it works well.

XCOM, the original 1990's game and the newest, not remake but update, re-envisioning, are some of the best games I have ever played. My high school game playing is defined by X-wing/ Tie-Fighter and X-wing vs Tie fighter. I think the both lend them selves well to table top/board games. My concern with the app is what about 10 years from now when I want to play this game and have a new phone or tablet that either wont run the app or the licensing agreement is over and there is no app or even worse its apple OS only.

That aside I like the co-op, I like the roles, takes 1 to 2 hours and It will be hitting the family table.

Unbelievable news! The games are some of my favourite of all time. This is a confirmed day one buy for me.

Completely behind the co-op, me and my wife are huge fans of LOTR LCG (the truth is we fall out a lot over pvp games because we're so competitive.) so that's a huge plus for us.

I'm not entirely sold on the app being mandatory, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. It has the potential to elevate this game in unprecedented ways but could prove cumbersome.

Overall I'm very excited to play this.

From what I have read, it seems that the app is going to be used mainly by one player who then has to relay information to the other players, making communication a real key element of playing the game successfully. I wonder how much more important that role is than all the others or if their importance is balanced more evenly. I'll be looking forward to receiving more information on this game.

We have the same problem with PvP games too actually. Especially the game of thrones LCG. My inlaws are still tramautized by the arguments -- I think they thought we were breaking up.

Unbelievable news! The games are some of my favourite of all time. This is a confirmed day one buy for me.

Completely behind the co-op, me and my wife are huge fans of LOTR LCG (the truth is we fall out a lot over pvp games because we're so competitive.) so that's a huge plus for us.

I'm not entirely sold on the app being mandatory, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. It has the potential to elevate this game in unprecedented ways but could prove cumbersome.

He he sounds like we are in the same boat.

I do play video/pc version to dead in old times......

I love co-op games. Being competitive alongside your friends against a common enemy is much more preferable to me than being competitive against my friends.