Movement and Hip shooting

By Jan_Tanner, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

When moveing and shooting with the Hip shooting talent when do you make your attack with the pistol weapon? Right now me and my DM have come to seprate understandings on how it's done. I read it as simultaneously and that you take the shot durning the movement at some point. To explain if you have an Agility bonus of 4 you move 4 squares, fire your weapon, then continue your last 4 squares of moment completeing your actions. My DM reads this as you fire before or after your movement. To explain you fire you weapon, move your 8 squares, then complete your action, or vice versa.

Can anyone help clarify this?

I havn't got my rulebook here, but both my groups play it so that you may shoot at any time during the movement. That makes it useful for dashing between covers for example, not to mention the cool filmatic effects och shooting and vaulting around. It really gives a new meaningfull application of the overwatch action to threaten possible firinglanes.

I had always assumed that it was move then fire, as per the old Necromunda rules.

But the wording says they are simultaneous. I think you can read this two ways - either (a) you fire at the same time you initiate the move, i.e. effectively at the start of the move, or (b) at some point during the move.

I think the wording in the book is actually incompatible with the interpretation that you can take the shot at the end of the move.

That said, I think your GM would be within his rights to stick with his interpretation on grounds of balance - being able to stay out of your enemy's line of sight and shoot at them is a pretty powerful combo. (Admittedly he could use overwatch, but he'd first have to know you were going to do it.)

Cardinalsin said:

(Admittedly he could use overwatch, but he'd first have to know you were going to do it.)

IMNSHO, if it is a GM that roleplays it depends on what sort of tactics the NPCs/goons employ. Properly trained guardsmen would probably have good firing discipline and cover each other and possible lines of attack while khorne cultists would not. If it is a GM that plays a strategy-game against the players then... well, then I guess he is just using a pretty non-optimized rules system to do it.

Of course, you wouldn't get much benefit from these tactics against Khorne cultists anyway, because they don't care about line of sight. They want to get into close combat and stab you up.