SQUADRONS-WHAT MODEL PLANES MADE UP A SQUADRON

By USMC1855, in Wings of War (WWI)

For each major power, during each year of war, what models of planes, and how many of each would have made up a typical squadron? For example, for a typical French Squadron in mid 1917, how many of which type planes made up a squadron? Going a little further, on a typical mission, how many planes would make up a flight?

My local game store has some Ospery books on WWI planes. When I'm there later this week I'll have a look and see if they talk about numbers and types.

USMC - you indeed request a tall order. One that will likely not be entirely filled. France destroyed many of its WWI aerial archives before they fell into enemy hands in WWII. Likewise, many of Germany's WWI archives were destroyed in WWII bombing raids. Data results that still exist tend to vary by source. Suggest you gather as much literature and online source material as you can and form your own conclusions.

Semper Fi

USMC, I took a look at the two books they had at the store that covered WWI aeroplanes. The only thing I could find was that the "allied" side mostly flew flights of 5 to 6 aircraft while the Germans flew 4-5 when they could muster a full flight. I think that would put a squadons total numbers some where around 20-24 aircraft.

USMC1855 said:

For each major power, during each year of war, what models of planes, and how many of each would have made up a typical squadron? For example, for a typical French Squadron in mid 1917, how many of which type planes made up a squadron? Going a little further, on a typical mission, how many planes would make up a flight?

If I can find my copy of _Richthofen's War_, it contains info on squadron sizes ca. 1917.