Mythos cards specific to AOs

By Morgaln, in Fan Creations

I thought about a cycle of Mythos cards each representing one of the AOs bringing some attention to Arkham. Each of the following will have two effects; one generic, that often resembles the power of the associated AO, and one specific that will only come to bear if the associated AO is the AO of the game.

Abhoth-Spawns-Front-Side.jpg Atlach-Nacha-Weaves-Front-Side.jpg Chaos-of-Azathoth-Front-Side.jpg Cthulhu-Dreams-Front-Side.jpg Eihort-Stomps-Front-Side.jpg Glaaki-Surfaces-Front-Side.jpg Hastur-Stirs-Front-Side.jpg Ithaqua-Walks-with-the-Wind-Front-S.jpg Nyarlathotep-Arrives-Front-Side.jpg Shub-Niggurath-Breeds-Front-Side.jpg Shudde-Mell-Burrows-Beneath-Front-S.jpg Tsathoggua-takes-an-Interest-Front-.jpg YGolonac-Feeds-Front-Side.jpg Yibb-Tstll-Looks-Around-Front-Side.jpg Yig-Slithers-Past-Front-Side.jpg Yog-Sothoth-Watches-Front-Side.jpg

They of course vary wildly in impact, and with some of them, I am not happy. This especially counts for Eihort where I couldn't think of anything capturing his flavor.

As always, any opinion on these are welcome; and I'll be happy to consider alternate effects for these if you have any ideas.

I guess the one thing I see is you have KH Ancient Ones on cards with DH locations.

I suppose it's good if you own both and plan on playing with both boards, but if you aren't or don't, they don't really work...

To capture Eihort's flavor a bit more, maybe the card should be called "Eihort Bargains", since he usually offers a brood, then smashes those who refuse.

I do really like this concept. Might try throwing these in sometime.

Hello Morgaln -

Clever idea! I'll gladly use these cards.

I agree that it might be best to make all the gate locations just for the base game. You might play with all the expansions together, so this might not be a consideration for you, but it would make you cards more useful.

"Eihort Bargins" has a nice ring to it.

Abhoth's basic card effect outside of discarding a few monsters from the game is to raise the Terror Level. It strikes be as rather ho hum. I could see the current monster trophies being resculpted and returning to the game.

Yig's basic card effect doesn't invoke a sense of Yig. Maybe something aquatic? Serpent People invade/ambush? Something to do with sky?

Tsathoggua card is the weakest in my humble opinion and doesn't convey to me anything about one of my favorite Great Old Ones. Maybe, he can feast on allies?

Instead of a set number, such as one Child of Abhoth, you might consider a roll of the die. I don't imagine one of your Mythos Cards being drawn that matches the current Great Old One will happen often, so when it does why not really kick the investigators' ass.

The rest thematically all seem to work for me.

Just some constructive criticism no offense meant.

@johnwatersfan: i wanted to pair each AO with a different location (or rather two, considering Clue locations), as there are 16 AOs and 16 gate locations. However, you're right, Kingsport AOs shouldn't be paired with Dunwich locations to have the two expansions independent from each other. I'll switch it around somehow.

@lemmingsunday: "Eihort Bargains" is a nice name; I will change it to that.

Abhoth is actually one of those I had absolutely no ideas for, so any idea you have would be greatly appreciated. Returning monster trophies to life is an interesting idea, although there is already a similar Mythos card in CotDP.

The Yig card's basic effect actually copies the effect Yig has if he is the AO; it was one of the first (and easiest) card to do, because it does exactly what i intended in the beginning. For one round show the Investigators what it would be like to have two AOs instead of one.

Similar for Tsathoggua, although I would assume that the special effect actually helps Tsathoggua a lot; it prevents players from collecting Clues or gaining items for one round, and with his long Doom Track, Tsathoggua needs to delay the investigators as much as possible.

I think one Child of Abhoth works just fine, the card could also possibly trigger a monster surge which would put another one into play. I want these to be dangerous but they shouldn't cost players the game on their own.

No offense taken at all, I asked for criticism and I am glad I got it, and it was constructive too. Just keep it coming.