Custom painting a Z-95

By SmartCookie, in X-Wing

Hi guys,

The Z-95 is the old workhorse in that galaxy far, far away.

Therefor I wanted to paint mine as a really beat up and gritty ship.

Here's how I did it:

1. Base coat the model (except the canopy) bright orange.

pic2093541_lg.jpg

2. Wash the entire model with a watered down dark wash (Games Workshop's Nuln Oil), about 50-50 water/wash.

pic2093543_lg.jpg

3. Drybrush a light gray color on the entire model.

pic2093544_lg.jpg

4. Drybrush a tiny amount of silver on the entire model.

pic2093545_lg.jpg

5. Gently drybrush a few select section with a light brown color.

6. Wash the entire model with a watered down dark wash (Games Workshop's Nuln Oil), about 25-75 water/wash.

pic2093547_lg.jpg

7. Drybrush white on the entire model.

8. Add wash (not watered down) in the deep crevasses.

9. Drybrush the Ice Blue paint for the squadron markings.

10. Drybrush black on the parts of the enigines that are to be dark.

11. Clean-up on the canopy (and select areas that needed it).

pic2068062_lg.jpg

For the rest of my Ice Squadron, have a look here: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/92926-ice-squadron-custom-painted-rebel-ships/

Nicely done. Really awesome skills there.

I could have SWORN this has been posted here before - within the past month.

EDIT:

Found it! HERE

almost the same post with step by step procedures. You could have just bumped your old post ya know?

Edited by Crabbok

Lovely work!

I really appreciate the step-by-step breakdown of the painting process.

EDIT:

Found it! HERE

almost the same post with step by step procedures. You could have just bumped your old post ya know?

I only posted the finished picture previously and I got a request for pictures of the step-by-step process so I did it as I painted the rest of my Z-95s.

Please ignore all of this if you feel it is unnecessary.

Edited by Veldrin

EDIT:

Found it! HERE

I only posted the finished picture previously and I got a request for pictures of the step-by-step process so I did it as I painted the rest of my Z-95s.

certainly not my place to tell you what to do. I did find it odd, but that is just because I've grown accustomed to people keeping all their repaints, customs, etc in the same thread. Just my POV, not trying to throw stones. have a good day!

EDIT:

Found it! HERE

certainly not my place to tell you what to do. I did find it odd, but that is just because I've grown accustomed to people keeping all their repaints, customs, etc in the same thread. Just my POV, not trying to throw stones. have a good day!

No worries.

I just made the post. Didn't think about updating the old one as it was meant to focus on the step-by-step process.

What exactly is dry brushing? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

What exactly is dry brushing? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Drybrushing is when you wipe off most of the paint on the brush before "painting" the model. That way there is very little actual paint on the brush and it only gets stuck on the "ridges" or "edges" on the model unless you really focus on the parts you want it.

Edited by Veldrin

Thanks for this, I do prefer it in a new thread for easy viewing.

Seeing the step by step helps me to figure out what I may change while following the process. I would likely drybrush the step 7 a bit longer for a cleaner look, then give the top of the nose come and front edge of the wings a light dark drybrush to indicate scorch marks or flying into debris. I still love it. All of it. @_@

Ooh ooh, it's also refreshing to see ships without paint caked on!

That. Looks. So. Awesome. Especially since i'm a horrible painter, and you're obviously very good. :)

"That's the beauty of the alphabet, it gives you twenty-six plans to choose from..."-Fi Skirata

Fantastic stuff! Gonna have to give this technique a go!

I really like the result. Excellent work

Excellent tutorial! I tried it out yesterday, and the result was fantastic. Thanks Veldrin!

2dj8qv.jpg

The first thing I thought when I saw the bright orange in hte first pic was "oh no, this is going to be terrible..." because it was such a bright color and I didn't recognize that it was one of the Ice squadron paintjobs.

A couple pics down was great relief, and the final version is beautifully rustic. That said, I've also seen this pic previously. Generally people keep all their repaints in one thread.

Wait, you drybrushed the squad markings? Did you mask them off, or just use a ridiculously tiny drybrush? Great results, not sure I'd want to fly a spaceship that rusty though...

Excellent tutorial! I tried it out yesterday, and the result was fantastic. Thanks Veldrin!

2dj8qv.jpg

Awesome!

Glad I could help.

I really like the ice sqaudron stuff. It's relaitively subtle, but still stands out.

Wait, you drybrushed the squad markings? Did you mask them off, or just use a ridiculously tiny drybrush? Great results, not sure I'd want to fly a spaceship that rusty though...

I used a Games Workshop size "small" brush (or perhaps its called "detail." I'm not absolutely certain) or the equivalent. As long as you drybush in straight lines or on top of a rised section of the hull it isn't too difficult to get the paint only where you want it.

What I do is that once my "normal" brushes begin to wear I label them as drybrushes and use them for that endevour alone.

Once you use a brush to drybrush, it will deteriorate quicker and the bristles will start to go apart. Therefor you don't use a brush you drybrush with for your regular painting.

Edited by Veldrin
What I do is that once my "normal" brushes begin to wear I label them as drybrushes and use them for that endevour alone.

Once you use a brush to drybrush, it will deteriorate quicker and the bristles will start to go apart. Therefor you don't use a brush you drybrush with for your regular painting.

Nice tip, thanks. This is the exact kind of stuff a newbie like me loves to find out ahead of time.