Close call...

By The Professor, in Elder Sign

Have you ever had one of those games where nothing could go wrong......until it did...and it did so in such a spectacular way?

We just finished a second game for today, where the Investigators , Leo Anderson , Jenny Barnes , "Ashcan" Pete , and Monterey Jack faced-off against Azathoth . For the first 7-8 cycles on the clock (28-32 Turns), we accomplished myriad Tasks , defeated every Monster in the Museum, and spent Adventure card and Monster trophies on Blessings , and all manner of Items , Spells , and Clue tokens. Additionally, the Doom Track proved particularly anemic...hovering around four Doom Tokens for most of the game.

Then, we faced-off against three cards which nearly proved our undoing:

Riot in the Streets ( Arrow-> 3 Investigations and 9 Investigations )

Fragments of Knowledge ( 6 Investigations; 1 Terror; and 2 Lore )

When Night Falls ( 1 Terror; 2 Peril and 2 Lore )

While each one yields an Elder Sign and miscellaneous items, what nearly killed us were the penalties:

Riot in the Streets ( Doom Token )

Fragments of Knowledge ( 2 Sanity )

When Night Falls ( 2 Sanity and 2 Stamina)

When we weren't facing our nightmares in these rooms, we were running back to the First Aid Station for assistance. The Doom Track shot up to 10 Doom Tokens thanks to the one Adventure card and some rather unexpected Mythos cards. In the end, "Ashcan" Pete saved the day with a Common Item yielding the Yellow die and 1 Clue token accomplishing the tasks on When Night Falls , thanks in part to a Spell cast by Leo which held a Lore .

So, have you had a game like this one...?

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor

I remember only having a rough start and then after a breakpoint, we smashed the rest of the game. Once we had a beginning with both red and yellow dice locked (Visiting Antiquarian) and then the dreaded Curator appeared (coming of the Night Watchman, or however is it called, and We Must Find Help didn't help us either).

The game I started last night (and will play overseveral days) had the The Curator Adventure card make an appearance..hate it, Hate It, HATE IT! :angry:

Do you guys play the Curator like he plays in Omens where you automatically lose 2 trophies, or do you play with the option of losing stamina/sanity? I dread him in Omens, but think he is much weaker in the tabletop version. Of course, if you're already low on health when he comes up, he can be more of a problem.

Oh, and I did have a game one time where it seemed I was not able to complete much of anything, no matter how simple the tasks. I think I only managed to succeed at 4 or 5 adventures the entire game, and was soundly defeated a turn or 2 (playing solo with one character) after the beast woke up. This was one game that made me believe your state of mind when playing can influence the die rolls. I remember having anxiety and sweating a lot while I played, and roll after roll was a failure. I also remember it being very late at night (maybe 2:00am).

FYI- I have a win rate of roughly 90% with ES- that game was a true fluke, and downright bazaar.

Edited by xfoley8

xfoley,

Well, I don't own Omens, so I play it exactly the way it's rendered on the card.

The last game we lost, we simply over-extended...the Investigators failed their tasks and were left with no way to access either the red die or the yellow die.

Cheers,

Joe

In Omens, the Curator's midnight effect is just to lose two trophies. There is no option to lose sanity/stamina instead.

I started a game last night and two of the first six Adventure cards had locked a Green die...Good Times!

Edited by The Professor

Have someone devoured, pick up Mary and use her to resolve adventures with the locked die on :P

Nice work-around! I do love me some Mary !