Curse of the Wulfen

By Steffan, in Deathwatch House Rules

I have always wondered, how it would be to play a Space Wolf, who have subcome to the curse of the wulfen. I know, many of you will probably say, that it's just mindless savagery and unplayable, but that's not the way I see it, so I've now tried to make stats for any Space wolf of almost any speciality that have subcome to their beastial side, and have become wulfen and yes, I know, many of you will probably also say, that it conflicts with the primarchs curse of the Space wolves, but I dont agree on this point, since the primarchs curse does what it should and functions well, and makes sense. It's not like you will feel like a wulfen, if you had the Space wolves primarchs curse on any lvl, since I imagine that becoming a wulfen, will give pros and cons which primarchs curse doesn't really do. The primarchs curse of the Space wolves as i said before, makes sense but it's not the curse of the wulfen, or at least its not the primarchs curse that makes you a wulfen. With all this said, I present to you the house rules and stats for playing a Space wolf, who have become wulfen.

Prerequisites: Space wolf only, rank 1 only.

(Special exception is if the Space wolf have recently been overrun by chaos)

(Note: Librarians and Techmarines Can't be wulfen)

Xp cost:500

Wulfen stats: gain Frenzy, Natural Weapon (Teeth & Claws) +5 Str,Ag, Per and -10 int and fellowship plus 3d10 and 1d5 insanity points because the beastial side have taken its part on their sanity everytime they face combat they need to roll a +0 willpower test to not let their beastial side take over (enter frenzy) Claws and teeth will give 1d10+4 pen 0 by being a Wulfen you automatically gets the deed gene-seed anomaly (see page 87 in Rites of Battle Rulebook) and all rules following with that deed for free.

Any feedback will be appreciated :)

Edited by Steffan

I'm not sure that the Space Wolves would send this Neophyte to the Deathwatch; if it is likely that he is going to succumb to the Primarch's Curse to this level, I would think that they would keep him home, where he can stay monitored, and secreted away. They might not view it quite the same way as I see Blood Angels with the Black Rage and Red Thirst, but I know that the Blood Angels don't just want to advertise these genetic defects, and attract too much attention to their inner workings; I think that the Space Wolves MIGHT view the Wulfen Mark the same, and 13th Company don't contribute to the DW.

Then again, I don't know for sure. I'm also waiting for the genetics of Blood Angels to have them sprouting wings; their Primarch had wings, so they should, too, someday. At least Fabius Bile made them look bad and dumb in the novel with the "second Sanguinus".

They already have rules for those who succumb. It's called the greater minion fenrisian wolves.

As much as I love the space wolves. I'm gonna have to agree with Venk. It's a curse and curses aren't flaunted. Most of the wolves who succumb to the curse are left prowling the fenrisian tundra.

Guys I see your point to a certain degree but first of all Theres a wolf lord known as Bran Redmaw who is wulfen and they can't just hide him, and several in his Company is also wulfen so its not only neophytes who fall into the curse but also veterans because its a constant struggle when you get implanted with Canis Helix so the question is more likely if deathwatch would allow them in

But Bran Redmaw, and his aspirants to the 13th company might not be the Space Wolf reps who interact with other Chapters, Inquisitors, etc. Plenty of Blood Angels stop and do terrible things on the battlefield, getting to better understand why Kroot Carnivores like what they do, and most people don't see it, because the bulk of Space Marines work out of the sight of others, in smallish groups.

I also thought that, if you'll pardon the TERRIBLE pun, Wulfen go a bit loopy, and they sort of need/use Wolf Priests to keep them working and safe. Even the Space Wolves suspect their "tainted" brethren, so I surmise that the others probably don't like him much, either, though as I don't have the Space Pup Codex, and they're not my Chapter of choice, I can't say I'm certain. They might need other Space Wolves around to keep them in working order, and the Deathwatch doesn't always allow for that sort of organization.

Edited by venkelos

I see your point to a certain degree but i also just have the idea of people being able to play Wulfen btw Bran Redmaw is not of the 13th Company

Too true. I figure if he and his Company keep it up, though, they might be keen to reinforce the numbers of the 13th; I believe all of them, except for their Wolf Priests, are Wulfen, after millennia in the Eye.

I'm a special snowflake fan, so I can see why you would want to be able to play a Wulfen; I asked this question once, some time ago, and I got the same answer types I've given, that the Wolves hide their tainted, like the Blood Angels (I want wings), and several other Chapters with some really messed up members. Otherwise, the AdMech and the Inquisition tend to poke their noses in, and I know that there are some Inquisitors who actually would like to call out the Space Wolves, and declare them traitors. Why? maybe just because Inquisitors like finding heresy, whether it's there or not.

Theres just one problem with this if Bran Redmaws Company exist beside the hidden 13th Company then people or other chapters might have noticed wulfen but if Space wolves just hide over it by saying something like thats just how veterans look like or something else i dont know i just dont think they hide it like nobody seem em since Theres a Company and wolf lord WHO's wulfen thats not apart of the 13th company

Edited by Steffan

I am on Steffan's side. I love the idea of the Wulfen and would be happy to play them. This 'could' go to BC. Why, because quite recently I read a novel about Chaos and it had a brief mention of a Wulfen Chaos Marine. I am thinking that maybe a Wulfen would leave and join Chaos to further his goals. The SW codex is another great example that the Wulfen aren't the outcasts. In fact, you can give every sergeant the Wulfen Curse. I have. Back to DW.

I don't think that it would be a problem, just maybe they are more brooding. Give them a negative fellowship modifier. Remember the Wulfen curse isn't seen as badly as the Blood Thirst or Black Rage.

Exactly Misha thats what I think too DW and other chapters might Wonder if Theres something wrong but if all Space wolves just deceive the **** out of it saying nope thats normal then Theres really no reason to say no to them when that is said i would like to point out misha these rules ive made is a very negative fellowship modifier i made a wolf scout wulfen yesterday to make an example for a friend that they are not mindless beasts but more taciturn warriors who have a rage when it comes to battle but they will learn to control it (high willpower) but to the point of the fellowship this wulfen wolf scout ended up with a fellowship of 25 so i think -10 fellowship is very negative modifier lets say when you generate charasterictics you end up with a fellowship of 46 and then buy the wulfen advance and all of a sudden that 46 fellowship is only 36 so i think the fellowship is as negative as it should be but i might be wrong ofc :)

My only point against that is that Space Wolves WON'T deceive the **** out of them; the Curse is seen as a sign of failing, since the first Wulfen wanted to kill Russ, and failed his transformation as a result, then Russ killed him. If the change wasn't frowned upon, Wolf Priests wouldn't have to keep an eye on them. The 13th Company actively avoids their kin, and threatens them to stay away, I feel to prevent the baseline Space Wolves from having to pity or distrust them; they are obviously very effective, of course, in battling Chaos, and other stuff.

It depends on how you want to look at it. I wouldn't think that the Space Wolves would want to parade around their genetic deviation, but they DO make awesome warriors, when used right, and how you run your game is your call. Personally, I think it WOULD be cool, just not fluffy, as I see fluff. Not sure what advantages the Wulfen would gain, or lose. I think that they could, if active with the Deathwatch long enough, develop the curse while being there, though I don't know if they would excuse themselves.

I see your point of view and yeah they are a Little bit of outcasts but none the less the Space wolves still know how useful they are and another thing is there outcasting is only Space wolves between so if Bran Redmaw all of a sudden send a veteran wulfen to the deathwatch its only the Space wolves that see it as a bit wrong

Your grammar needs work. Your idea could be interesting, but I wouldn't apply it as an alternate advance- especially not at rank 1.

The Wolves aren't proud of the Wulfen- they are failures. Redmaw is the exception that makes the rule, and I doubt Logan Grimnar would ever tap his company for a Deathwatch representative.

I prefer the slow, degenerative slide into Wulfendom, possibly as corruption points are accrued, leading to penalties to Intelligence, Fellowship and Willpower. These penalties would be offset by claws, fangs, and improved perception and agility I think.

Side note: yes, Wulfen are useful to the Wolves. Death Company are useful to the Blood Angels, but you won't see any of them in the Deathwatch. Same idea.

I see all the points you Guys have been making but i know they are a black stain of disgrace and that but obviously not enough to make the Space wolves kill all of them so my point is even with all there bad luck and the amount of disgrace on them if they did something really fantastic and honourable who says they cant be send to the deathwatch because i just dont see the wulfen as only Savage beasts they still have some humane and intellectual part who is capable of other Things than mindless savagery and beastial stuff

You name them a disgrace and a stain- let's start with that.

You don't advertise a stain or a disgrace. You can use them so long as they are useful tools- and the Wulfen can be useful, those are the Wulfen that get deployed with the Wolves warbands- but you don't make them ambassadors or hold them up as the examples of what your kin can aspire to. You speak of Bran Redmaw- have you considered that he is called the Curs'd Lord, and that he is mistrusted by the other Wolf Lords for his taint? He is Wolf Lord in spite of his curse, and he only gets away with it because he is a Space Wolf. The Ultramarines would not tolerate a tainted Chapter Master in their little pocket empire, the Dark Angels make a practice of rooting out the Fallen root and branch, the Blood Angels keep those who suffer the Black Rage close and guided by their apothecaries. The Black Templar and Red Scorpions would purge Redmaw's company (and all the Wulfen) without a second thought.

Also consider the lesson of the Wolf Brothers Chapter. Space Wolves don't do well separated from the rest of the Space Wolves- they tend to be more likely to suffer the curse of the Canis Helix.

The Wulfen have a use, but they are terrible, terrible examples of Space Marines in general. They are more useful with their Chapter, who knows them and knows their uses and can keep them from descending further into madness.

I could see a Wulfen becoming a Black Shield, perhaps, but only after becoming a Lone Wolf or some such similar circumstance. Even then, I suspect the Wulfen are too loyal to Fenris and the Wolves (and too attached to their code of honor) to abandon their Chapter in favor of the Deathwatch. Much more likely, I think, would be a Space Wolf seconded to the Deathwatch who succumbs to the Curse of the Wulfen during his service there. The Apothecarion of the Deathwatch are less familiar with the Wolves and the Canix Helix, and exposure to the greater threats the Deathwatch faces coupled with that lack of support would make a Wolf uniquely vulnerable to the curse- especially during a long deployment.

That's my perspective anyway; on a less fluff-related note, I think roleplaying out the descent of a Wolf in the Watch would be a more interesting story than simply showing up to the watch already a Wulfen, but that's my love of tragedy and drama I suppose.