Base game + which expansions?!

By Petru5, in Runebound

I've been eyeballing this game for a while now, but frankly have been intimidated by all the expansions (I'm down with my OCD). If I were to buy the base game, which expansions would you consider

1. Absolutely necessary
  2. Great additions, but not necessarily pertinent
  3. Money-grubbing fluff

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I would also suggest you look at The Scepter of Kyros .

It's a deck of cards that changes the content of the challenge (you're not trying to slay the dragons, but you're fighting a group of giants). It's not so much an expansion as almost a replacement. So, when you've seen it all in the Return of the Dragonlords, you might want to invite the ol' giants for a meeting...

And the giants kick some fearsome ass with their l337 giantness...all the while using phat gears the heroes would love to get their grubby hands on!

Sands is the must have for me, and the reason I brought Runebound in the first place.

Scepter of Kryos and Cult of Rune are great adventure suppliments, there are a few Doom track varients for Kryos that make it a load of fun. (Seven Scions is a fun one too, not sure how it stands up to replayablity as only played it once)

Rituals and Runes is a must have as well, other than Relics of Legend all the item expansions are presentable but not must haves. (My Market deck is a tad too tall to be honest)

As for monster expansions my vote is with the two wave one packs, terrors from the tomb and the dark forest. These two add some very nice interesting cards to the blue deck and reduce the randomness of the Red deck a little with one encounter each that pulls Margath after you defeat them. (Plus give it variety from just being dragons)

Thanks, all. I'll definitely take these recommendations with me when I'm shopping for RB!

If you enjoy the RPG aspect of Runebound, "Traps and Terrors" is a must. This mini-deck adds a lot of non-creature encounters that make the game more than just a slash and grab.

In my humble opinion, all the "adventure variant expansions" are a must! happy.gif

I tried character class decks and... please, don't buy them! sorpresa.gif

Why are the character so bad? Is there a in depth review of them. I read the rules and looked at some of the cards at boardgame geek, it seems fun.

Petru5 said:

I've been eyeballing this game for a while now, but frankly have been intimidated by all the expansions (I'm down with my OCD). If I were to buy the base game, which expansions would you consider

1. Absolutely necessary
  2. Great additions, but not necessarily pertinent
  3. Money-grubbing fluff

Thanks in advance!

Yeah! I'm also confused by this game - one core set with 100 expansions - i think this is one huge realm that I know is good but have no time to enter. I'll stay with Descent.

I'm also curious about the issues you have with the Character decks. They seem to add an element of gameplay similar to Dungeoneer, which is another fun dungeon crawl game, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them.

What specifically is your problem with them?

From reading past threads, it seems people are most discontent with the character decks on two things:

1) It prolongs the game

2) It necessarily becomes an adversarial game, rather than a simple race game.

With the above mentioned, I'd like to point out that I like the character decks: when I do not implement large number of house rules I usually bust them out.